Tuesday, April 18, 2006

STARTING OFF

Not gonna lie, I've seen two of my friends bust these "blogs" out and I thought I would tag along and see what this is all about. What will I talk about?? How many times will I write a new post?? Both are legitimate questions but I'm not sure what the answers will be. As of right now, I should be studying for a mid-term; however, I deem this more important than anything related to my studies. Yesterday I deemed watching an entire episode of Bryant Gumble and Real Sports, so this has to tell you something. I also just noticed that in my very first paragraph I've used the word deem twice, now make it three times. Wow.

The title of this whole thing is "King of Arguments." The only reason I chose that is because my roommate and I seem to get in an argument every day. Not always related to sports, but they usually are. I guess what makes the most sense is to just write about my thoughts on sports for the week. The goal is one post a week, but I'll hold on to that dream just like I did with keeping up with all my reading for the quarter.

I'm going to start with the Cleveland Indians, it's a good as place as any. Last year I caught Indian fever for the first time since Jose Mesa was actually good at life. They came on strong, posting the best 2nd half record in baseball. However, it was all for not as they folded the last week of the season to the improved Devil Rays and eventual champion White Sox. They did get 93 wins, which if you told me at the beginning of the season would be the Tribe's total, I would have taken the under and put at least a c-note (that’s some good banking terminology for everyone) on it. Playoffs or not, us Indian fans had to be excited about the start of the 2006 season. Even though Kevin Millwood, Bob Howry and the delicious cereal known as CoCo Crisp was traded, everyone else was coming back.

I'm going to break off track for a second and talk about the Crisp trade that got everyone talking this off-season. We all know the story, so I'll skip that and say we traded David Riske, Arthur Rhodes, and Crisp for Jason Michaels, G-something Mota, and prospect Andy Marte. My first impression was "awful." I've never heard of Michaels or Marte, and Mota hasn't been good since he pitched against Matt Williams and the Indians in the 97 World Series. I must admit, I was ignorant of the latter two. My opinion has since changed slightly.

Mr. Crisp and his Boston Red Sox uniform are both currently on the DL, but that is not the reason for me swaying my line of thinking. Starting off, this Mota guy, whatever his first name is or isn't, can flat out throw the ball. Hard. His fastball and slider combination will make for a very good set-up guy out of the bullpen. The only possible problem that could arise is his health, but, all you can do is hope he doesn't train with C.C. Next, this Michaels guy, not the greatest outfielder. I've seen him misplay several balls off the outfield wall. Absolutely horrible. I'm sure he is a nice guy and all, but he can't field. He's obviously less capable in the field than Crisp and just a bit better than Manny. Barely. I do like his ability at the plate though. He can make good contact, and should be right around that .290 line the entire season. Last but not least, the hot young prospect Andy Marte. Don't be scared by that "P" word, this guy can play. He could not miss in spring training, and do not be surprised at all to see him slightly after the all-star break playing in the Jake. All in all, not awful. Not yet.

Okay, after that little rant, I'll try to bring you back to the Indians as a whole. I like this team. They got off to a decent start, 8-5 soon to be 9-5, as I type. This is very important for Cleveland. After last years disappointment in the final week, a bad April could have killed their season. Not the case so far. My prediction is that the Indians will indeed win the AL Central. They will get 95 wins but then get bounced from the playoffs before they reach the World Series. 2007 will be their year. Guaranteed. Andy Marte, Fausto Carmona, and Franklin G-something (no relation to Mota), all will take over in 2007, and the championship will be theirs. Go ahead and write it down. Seriously, right now. I'm not kidding. I speak the truth.

Onto the Chicago Bulls. Sorry, I mean the Baby Bulls. Whoops, let’s try Da Bulls. There, much better. Even though I'm a huge Indians and Browns fan, I missed the bus with the Cavs. See, God does care about me. I fell in love with Michael Jordan (another guarantee, he will be in every post, if not every paragraph) when he hit the game and series winning shot back in 1988 against some punk named Craig Ehlo. I was only three, but I remember it nonetheless. I don't lie about these things. After the 1998 season when the Bulls won for the title for the umpteenth time, things went downhill and much more afterwards. Everyone who could dribble with both hands and their heads up left. They were beyond bad. They were Cincinnati Bengal bad (every year besides last). For about 6 years "next year" was already over before the draft took place. Things have changed since then. Ben Gordon, Kirk Heinrich, and dare I say, Andres Nocinoninon (or something like that) have brought the Bulls back. Just this past week they clinched the playoffs for the second year in a row. Will they win it all?? Ha, no. But neither will the Cavs. Not having a draft pick killed the Bulls this year, but good news is in the future. Apparently the New York Knicks lost a bunch, and thanks in part to Eddie Curry, the Bulls own New York's first round pick this year. Thank you Larry Brown, better yet, thank you Isaiah Thomas. I really want them to draft Adam Morrison, but I'm not going to hold my breath. They need a big guy, and once they get that, watch out, they have one of the best coaches in the league, and a very talented backcourt. The future is bright for them, and it makes me happy.

Well, I believe that is enough for my first post. I mean, at most 3 people will read it. Okay 4 if you count my mom. But doesn't she have to read it?? And then like it on top of that?? The answers to those are yes and yes. Anyways, you can expect me to talk about Notre Dame, Andre Agassi, and golf among other things in the future. As for right now, I have a test to study for ... but, Love Monkey is on at nine, so ... it'll have to wait until 10. I'll leave you with a quote that is starting to become my motto, "Read it, roll it, hole it."

No comments: