Thursday, October 27, 2011

KOA's 100 Films: 7

By: Luke Florence

Football? Check. Underdogs? Check. True Story? Check. Inspiring? Of course. My number seven favorite movie of all-time has all the ingredients of a great film. And for those of you that know me, I don't think this selection will come off as a surprise at all.

Roger Ebert calls the last scene in this movie, "an emotional powerhouse, just the way it's supposed to be." Giddy up.


Director: David Anspaugh
Starring: Sean Astin, Jon Favreau and Charles S. Dutton
Plot: "Rudy has always been told that he was too small to play college football. But he is determined to overcome the odds and fulfill his dream of playing for Notre Dame."
Stock: Holding

"You were born to wear that jacket."

As big of a Notre Dame fan as I am and as much as I love a good underdog story, nobody should be shocked at all to see Rudy land comfortably in my top-ten. It's an emotionally gripping film, one that constantly has me reaching for a Kleenex.

THE PLOT

Rudy Ruettiger is by all standards a pretty average kid. In high school he played on the varsity football team and performed well enough academically to simply graduate. His entire life he has passionately followed Notre Dame and always dreamed to play football for the prestigious university. Unfortunately, he was not gifted with height, strength, or blazing speed, so the prospects of actually playing for Notre Dame were non-existent.

So, Rudy graduates high school and accepts the cards he's been dealt. He works in the local factory and looks at potential houses with his girlfriend. But when a tragic event takes place Rudy decides to go to South Bent and attempt to play football for Notre Dame. Rudy gets zero support from his girlfriend, his brother, or his dad, leaving Rudy to chase for his dreams on his own.

From there we watch as Rudy take the necessary steps to accomplish the unthinkable. He goes to Holy Cross, takes odd jobs, fights for every single thing. As with most underdog stories, the ending is fairly predictable, but the way it's executed will leave you in tears.

MY REACTION

My father took me to this movie soon after my eighth birthday and I walked away from the theatre thinking I had just seen one of the greatest movies of all-time. It made me fall even deeper in love with Notre Dame and to this day I still get chills whenever I hear Rudy's soundtrack.

I'm aware that Sean Astin is more well-known for his work in The Lord of The Rings trilogy, but he will always be Rudy to me. Astin did an outstanding job captivating the struggle that Rudy went through, and although he was not nominated for any major awards, I find it nearly impossible to envision someone else portraying the role.


Rudy, much like Notre Dame, fosters a love-hate relationship. People either really love the film, or they really hate it. Critics will say it's just a Notre Dame love-fest, or that Rudy was a just a lucky little guy. They may be right, but that's not the way I feel. Had the movie been entirely the same except it took place at Ohio State maybe it's not an all-time favorite film for yours truly. I can acknowledge that ... but, it did occur in South Bend, and it's based off a true story. Done and done.

WHY TOP TEN?

Few movies make such an emotional impact with me on a constant basis. Every single time I watch Rudy I tear up ... I can't help it. Something about watching an underdog survive and then ultimately thrive really resonates with me. I referenced the chill-factor a couple posts back, and make no mistake, I get plenty of goosebumps when I'm watching Rudy.

Rudy also teaches us that we can't do it alone. No one can. We need others to help us. Rudy received academic advice from his friend D-Bob and life advice from Father Cavanaugh.  If it wasn't for his best-friend Pete convincing him he could go it, this film never happens.  The biggest help probably came from Fortune, the janitor who gave Rudy a job, a place to live, and a swift kick-in-the-butt when it was needed.


Much like Love Actually, Rudy also has an unbelievably good soundtrack ... one that will give me chills whenever I happen to hear it.

It's highly motivational, inspirational, and just a great movie to enjoy. It might not be one of your favorites, but Rudy will more than likely have a spot in my top-ten for a long time.

MEMORABLE QUOTES

"Son, in 35 years of religious study, I have only come up with two hard incontrovertible facts: there is a God, and I'm not Him." - Fr. Cavanaugh.

"Well, you know what my dad always said, having dreams is what makes life tolerable." - Pete.

"You're 5 foot nothin', 100 and nothin', and you have barely a speck of athletic ability. And you hung in there with the best college football players in the land for 2 years. And you're gonna walk outta here with a degree from the University of Notre Dame. In this life, you don't have to prove nothin' to nobody but yourself. And after what you've gone through, if you haven't done that by now, it ain't gonna never happen. Now go on back." - Fortune.

"You're a Ruettiger! There's nothing in the world wrong with being a Ruettiger!" - Daniel.

"He's so little!" - D-Bob. 


Until next time, "read it, roll it, hole it."

No comments: