Monday, July 23, 2012

KOA's 50 Television Shows: An Introduction

By: Luke Florence


Last summer we went on an incredible, exhausting and revealing journey as I unveiled my favorite 100 movies of all-time.  This time around we are looking for more of the same, as I embark on an adventure to rank my 50 favorite television shows.

Laugh-out loud comedies, thought-provoking dramas, cash-winning game shows, and even an occasional cartoon will all make an appearance during these next three months.  The only question is in what order will they show up?

There's only one way to learn more details on this project and to see which shows just missed the cut.

Joining me for the second consecutive summer will be Matt Barnes (fingers crossed he actually finishes on schedule this time around).  Working our way up, we will post five television shows every week.  Reaction posts and videos should follow as well.  The party will get started this Thursday, August 2nd.

Ranking television shows is a complicated process, probably more so than movies.  The first major difference is length of time.  Unlike movies, television shows can vary greatly in time spent on-air.  On this list alone there are programs that lasted one or two seasons and others that were around for decades.

It's also safe to say I've been watching television shows a lot longer than I have with movies.  Growing up, it was quite common to watch an hour or two of television every day, whereas I might have gone to the movies with my parents once or twice a month.  Therefore, there are a lot more "children" shows to be considered this time around.

On top of all of that you have the usual complications such as comedies/dramas, basic cable/HBO programming, the re-watchability factor, and simply trying to remember ALL of those shows you once loved - and just as important, HOW much you loved them.

When I wrote down all of the shows that I was going to at least consider for my top-50, I came up with ninety-one.  Cutting forty-one of those shows was not easy and here are some of the programs that just missed appearing on this prestigious list.

(In No Particular Order)

1) MacGyver

Loved how he was able to get out of all those situations using basic materials.  Couldn't watch it now though, which severely hurt.

2) The Man Show

Two funny guys (Adam Carolla and Jimmy Kimmel) with a pretty funny show.  They sat around, drank beer, watched women, and drank some more beer.

3) Salute Your Shorts

Camp Anawanna, we hold you in our hearts.

4) Pete & Pete

I'm Artie, the strongest man ... IN THE WORLD!

5) Supermarket Sweep

Don't remember the specifics of this show, but I vividly remember watching this show as a little kid and loving the mad dash through the store at the end.

6) Win Ben Stein's Money

Second appearance for Jimmy Kimmel.  He hosted this game-show that pitted contestants up against Ben Stein, who is actually kind of a genius.

7) That 70's Show

The older I get, the funnier I think this show is.  Some of the stars of this show (Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher) have gone on to make quite a bit of money, while others (everyone else) haven't.

8) Kenan & Kel

Who loves orange soda???

9) My Brother and Me

One of my favorite shows to watch with my little brother.  This show fell just one spot short.

10) Man V. Food

Adam Richman travels the country and eats literally a TON of food and gets paid to do so.  Only in America. 

While I unveil my favorite television shows I'll also simultaneously ranking my favorite television theme songs and my favorite television characters.  I have zero clue who will top both of these lists and can't wait to see how they shape up.  

It's been said before and I'll say it again; list-making can be a tiresome and complicated process, but the reward of a finely-polished list is immeasurable.

Here we go again.

Until next time, "read it, roll it, hole it."

No comments: