Monday, October 06, 2014

Since You've Been Gone (Part One)

For the few of you that have been following the King of Arguments since its inception nearly a decade ago, you have come to expect lengthy delays in between posts.  Going multiple weeks and even several months without publishing new content has been standard operating procedures.  

None were as long as the most recent one which thankfully came to an end a couple weeks ago.  It lasted an astonishing 18 months.  There were zero updates to this blog for all of 2013 and half of 2014.  It really does pain me to write that last sentence.  18 months.  That’s brutal.

I wake up every day and want to spend it writing.  That’s as true of a statement as I’ve ever wrote.  I get dressed for work right in front of my computer and think while staring at it, “one of these days I’ll be going to work right here.”  So you can imagine the peril it causes when I go an entire 18 months and fail to create one single new article.  

While it is true that the past is the past, and as our good friend Daniel Faraday instructed us on LOST, “whatever happened, happened” we are going to get back on the horse by taking a look at all that I missed since December of 2012.  These are the top 10 blog posts (or at least the cliff notes version of them) that would have been made had I not taken a sabbatical from this website.

10 - World Cup Fever

Date: June 12, 2014 - July 13, 2014

Every four years soccer takes center stage in the sporting world.  The World Cup typically does two things for me, it reminds me that soccer is the most popular sport in the world, and that the United States is far from being the best at it.  

The greatest thing about the World Cup is the passion it brings out in people.  I consider myself an intelligent individual, one who loves sports, but I really don’t follow soccer at all.  Sure I’ve heard of the English Premier League and the Columbus Crew, but I couldn’t tell you who the best player in the world Lionel Messi plays when it’s not for Argentina.  And I’m okay with that.  But when The World Cup comes to town I go all-in.  

The United States had a thrilling last second goal to defeat Ghana in their opener, allowed a last second goal versus Portugal that resulted in a tie and then lost to the eventual champion Germany in their final pool match.  Based on tiebreakers the 1-1-1 record was enough to send the US to the knockout state where they were met by Belgium.

In 2002 I woke up at 3 AM to watch the US-Mexico Round of 16 game live.  A couple days later that year I missed a tennis match so I could watch US-Germany in the Quarterfinals.  As much as I love tennis, I love the World Cup that much more.  It’s like playoff hockey, but it only comes around every four years.  

This time around I found myself at work for the Belgium matchup but managed to walk out of there without knowing any scores or updates.  I then watched our goalie Tim Howard make one incredible save after another.  The good guys held on for as long as they could, but they eventually let in two goals during extra-time, falling short 2-1.  

In 2018 we’ll do it all again, and I’ll be ready to make more memories watching.

9 - The Big House Trip

Date: September 6, 2013

My girlfriend Angela is a graduate from Ohio State and her father Joe is a diehard Michigan fan.  Throw in a Notre Dame enthusiast like myself and you have all the makings of a memorable road trip, which is exactly what happened when the three of us drove up to Ann Arbor to watch Notre Dame take on Michigan for the final time at the Big House.

Prior to this contest I had seen one Notre Dame game in person back on November 23, 2002 when they hosted Rutgers in South Bend.  That game was over before the Scarlet Knights got off the bus, as the Fighting Irish won easily, 42-0.  This Michigan game was going to look a lot different than my first experience.  For starters, Eminem was not at the ND-Rutgers game in 2002.  

I’ve been in relationships before - as I’m sure many of you have as well - where the “in-laws” can be surrounded with treacherous waters.  I’ve had previous girlfriend’s dads not talk to me, or not have anything in common with me.  It just makes for awkward encounters and often leads to tension with the girlfriend.  This time around I’m very fortunate to say this is not the case.  Joe and I, despite our conflicting college football allegiances, get along great.  He’s invited me to play golf multiple times up in Barberton and I’m without question his #1 guy when it’s time to put the ladder in his outdoor swimming pool.

That being said, the trip to the Big House was an absolute blast.  We had so much fun tailgating and taking in the festivities.  Joe had never been to a game before so this was his first trip as well.  Yes, Michigan did end up winning the game 41-30, but that’s not what I’ll remember from that trip.  I’ll remember Joe being in tears during the Tommy Harmon tribute prior to kickoff.  I’ll remember being a part of the largest crowd to ever see a college football game, 115,109 (a record that still stands).  I’ll remember Beer-Thirty and Joe Montana doing push-ups in the parking lot.  I’ll remember Joe having no voice whatsoever the next day.  But most of all, I’ll remember having a great freaking time.  

8 - Johnny Manziel being drafted by the Cleveland Browns.

Date: May 8, 2014

Typically the Cleveland Browns only make the headlines these days for firing their head coach after one year, or when their owner scams a bunch of truckers out of millions of dollars.  Other than that, the Browns have spent the last couple of years staying relatively quiet.  They show up, play 16 games, win 4-5 of them, and go back home.  Well this past May the Browns guaranteed themselves they would not go quietly any longer by drafting Johnny Manziel and the constant noise that comes along for the ride.

At this point in the 2014 season it actually appears as if Johnny won’t get to see much of the playing field because Brian Hoyer has been pretty good.  Barring injury I actually don’t anticipate Manziel playing at all.  Which for once, will actually be a blessing for the entire Browns organization.

Do I think Johnny Manziel will become a good quarterback?  Honestly, I have no idea.  I know that he has a way of generating plays with his feet and he can put some zip on the ball.  Whether those skills translate into victories, your guess is just as good as mine.  I like Manziel, mainly for the excitement he brings to Cleveland, but I like winning too, and right now Hoyer gives them the best chance to do so.  

But welcome to Cleveland Johnny.  At the very least, you’ll have a front row seat for our #7 story.

7 - LeBron James leaving Miami and coming back to Cleveland.

Date: July 11, 2014

Before LeBron left Cleveland I absolutely hated him.  Despised him.  Rooted for every team that played against him.  Celebrated his losses like it was Christmas Day.  However after his first season in Miami I wrote how my attitude towards LeBron had changed mainly because I felt LeBron’s attitude changed.  I felt he was more mature and more aware.  I guess then it shouldn’t have surprised me when LeBron made a very mature and thoughtful decision to leave Miami and return to Cleveland.

Consisting of LeBron James, Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love, the 2014-15 Cleveland Cavaliers will be the cream of the crop in the Eastern Conference.  For the first time in LeBron’s professional career he will finally have the opportunity to play with a good point guard, which I fully expect to result in LeBron’s finest season as a pro.  

While I do not have any animosity towards LeBron and his decision (part two), I do anticipate being completely and utterly annoyed with the droves of closet Cavalier fans who will now suddenly reappear.  These are the same fools who made public demonstrations by burning James jersey five years ago.  Now all of a sudden they will be Team LeBron because they see a championship in their futures.  

Hopefully Derrick Rose, Joakim Noah, Pau Gasol and Tom Thibodeau will have a little something to say about that.  

6 - The Cleveland Indians winning 10 straight games to make it into the 2013 MLB Playoffs.

Date: September 19, 2013 - September 29, 2013

Heading into the final two weeks of September, the race was between the Texas Rangers, Tampa Bay Rays, and the Cleveland Indians for the final two wild card spots.  As it was manager Terry Francona’s first season leading the Tribe, no one expected to be anywhere near contention come July yet alone September, but here they were, right in the thick of things.

Backed by a strong pitching rotation consisting of Ubaldo Jimenez, Scott Kazmir, Zach McAllister, and Corey Kluber (Justin Masterson was coming out of the bullpen down the stretch), the Tribe rolled to not one, not two, not nine, but ten consecutive wins to not only stay in the race, but win it outright.  It earned them a home one-game playoff against the Tampa Bay Rays.

Of all the ten games the Indians won, none was as dramatic as the walk-off home-run from the bat of the ageless wonder himself Jason Giambi against the Chicago White Sox.  When Giambi took the 9th inning pitch over the right-field wall you just had the sense that something special was happening with the Indians.  

Yes, the Indians eventually lost in that one-game playoff against Tampa Bay, getting shut out 4-0, but it won’t take away from that incredible ten-game winning streak they had to get there.  They needed to win every single one of those games and they did.  Sometimes in sports - and in life - it’s not about the destination, but the journey.

And those 2013 Cleveland Indians took us on a ride we won’t forget anytime soon. 

We are going to play it smart and make this a two-part article because let’s be honest, if you’ve made it this far you’re probably ready for a breather.

Until next time, “read it, roll it, hole it.”

No comments: