Sunday, December 09, 2007

2007 NFL Picks Week Fourteen

Even though NFL teams still have four games left until their playoffs, for fantasy owners this is the very last regular season week. Just one last chance to make a final playoff push in hopes of claiming the championship or, at the very least, make some of their entry fee money back. For Brady's Bunch, it has been an exciting season filled with many ups and downs. Let's take a look back.

The number one rule in Fantasy Football is you have to pick a creative name. Even if your team fails to win a game all season, you still get brownie points for picking the best name. I went with Brady's Bunch. It's a shout-out to Brady Quinn and the old television sitcom The Brady Bunch. I thought it would be perfect. Looking back I have no regrets over this name. My only fear is that I will get stuck using this name for my fantasy teams forever. Just yesterday I made a College Bowl pick'em entry and titled it Brady's Bunch. I need help.

With the fourth pick in our 12 team league Brady's Bunch selected Shaun Alexander instead of the guy I really wanted, Joseph Addai. It was a decision I would regret almost instantly. Ronnie Brown was a nice surprise with my 2nd round pick and then I got very lucky with selecting Adrian Peterson (the good A.P) in the 3rd round. Alexander turned out to be a bust all season long. However I felt like I could not bench him due to him being my #1 pick. Had I picked Addai my running backs would have looked like this: Addai - McGahee - Peterson. Not too bad.

Brady's Bunch made a trade four weeks into the season when we traded Peterson, Reggie Brown, and Big Ben for Peyton Manning, Maurice Jones-Drew, and Joey Galloway. At the time I felt as if this was a steal of a trade for me. Manning was the consensus #1 QB entering the year. Who was to say that Jones-Drew could not out perform a rookie running back the rest of the season? And Galloway became my #1 WR due to Andre Johnson going down with a knee.

Instead this happened: Manning lost Marvin Harrison and Big Ben has thrown more TD's so far. Peterson leads the league in rushing and might be the #1 pick in '08. Galloway had been unreliable at best but has been an improvement over Brown.

Would my team had been better if I did not make this trade? Hard to tell. I can tell you that my team has faced a very difficult schedule. That's the one special thing with fantasy football - you can't play defense. Technically you could post the 2nd highest score for the league every single week and not win a game. Now I know how LSU feels.

Anyways, Brady's Bunch was sitting at 3-6 not too long ago and feeling hopeless. However, after getting my team to sit down and watch Cool Runnings together, we have since reeled off four wins in a row, including beating the division leader last week to pull into a tie for first with just one week to go. Will my team keep the proverbial bobsled upright and race to the finish line with a medal? Or, will the sled crash heading into the final turn? Time will tell.

If Brady's Bunch wins (won't be easy this week) AND the team I'm tied with loses, then I'm in. It's that simple. I know you are all riveted by this, so I will keep you informed with how it goes. Back to business.

Congrats to Sara for going 10-6 last week and claiming the best record for week 13. The week 12 winner is not yet decided. Jeff and myself are still deadlocked after Arizona and New England both scored 27 points last week. This week we are taking a page out of Bizarro Seinfeld and picking the team that is going to score the least amount of points. Jeff went with the winless Dolphins while I'm backing the Carolina Panthers.

STANDINGS (after 13 weeks and one game)
1) Luke 115-78 (9-7)
2) Sara 106-87 (10-6)
3) Devin 101-92 (9-7)
4) Kevin 98-95 (6-10)
4) Jeff 98-95 (7-9)
6) Grothaus 96-97 (8-8)
6) Barnes 96-97 (8-8)
8) Bart 90-103 (6-10)

We're going straight through these picks (a strategy that seems to work in my favor of not talking about the games) and then leaving you with Jeff and Bart's thoughts. Enjoy.

Chicago @ Washington (-3) - Thursday Night

CHI: Devin, Kevin, Grothaus, Bart
WAS: Luke, Sara, Jeff, Barnes

Carolina @ Jacksonville (-10.5)

CAR: No one
JAX: Everyone

Dallas (-11) @ Detroit

DAL: Luke, Sara, Devin, Kevin, Jeff, Grothaus, Barnes
DET: Bart

Miami @ Buffalo (-7)

MIA: Sara, Bart
BUF: Luke, Devin, Kevin, Jeff, Grothaus, Barnes

New York Giants @ Philadelphia (-3)

NYG: Devin, Grothaus, Barnes
PHI: Luke, Sara, Kevin, Jeff, Bart

Oakland @ Green Bay (-10.5)

OAK: Luke, Sara, Jeff, Grothaus, Bart
GB: Devin, Kevin, Barnes

San Diego (-1) @ Tennessee

SD: Luke, Devin, Jeff, Grothaus
TEN: Sara, Kevin, Barnes, Bart

St. Louis @ Cincinnati (-7)

STL: Devin, Grothaus, Bart
CIN: Luke, Sara, Kevin, Jeff, Barnes

Tampa Bay (-3) @ Houston

TB: Sara, Devin, Kevin, Jeff, Grothaus
HOU: Luke, Barnes, Bart

Arizona @ Seattle (-7)

ARI: Grothaus
SEA: Luke, Sara, Devin, Kevin, Jeff, Barnes, Bart

Minnesota (-8.5) @ San Francisco

MIN: Everyone
SF: No one

Pittsburgh @ New England (-12)

PIT: Luke, Sara, Barnes, Bart
NE: Devin, Kevin, Jeff, Grothaus

Cleveland (-3.5) @ New York Jets

CLE: Luke, Sara, Devin, Kevin, Jeff, Grothaus, Barnes
NYJ: Bart

Kansas City @ Denver (-6.5)

KC: Luke, Sara, Devin, Bart
DEN: Kevin, Jeff, Grothaus, Barnes

Indianapolis (-9.5) @ Baltimore

IND: Luke, Devin, Jeff, Grothaus, Barnes, Bart
BAL: Sara, Kevin

New Orleans (-5) @ Atlanta

NO: Luke, Sara, Devin, Kevin, Grothaus, Barnes, Bart
ATL: Jeff

JEFF'S OUTLOOK FOR WEEK 14

"Jags keep rolling.

"Kitna won't have much to say after this game----Boys.

"Bills-but hoping Miami gets its first win today!

"Philly-the GMEN lost-barely but pulled out a win last week.

"Da Raiders---upset pick of the week.

"Go Chargers---help out the Brownies!

"Bungles--why--I have no clue--Palmer due for a good one?

"Bucs--Houston hurting without Schaub.

"Seattle--going to hit Warner's ribs--then Rattay at QB-yuk.

"Vikings getting better week by week.

"Pats--pound Pissburgh.

"Browns-a few makeup ref calls after last week would be nice.

"Denver but I don't like this call--KC could surprise.

"Colts-more dissension in Baltimore--I love it.

"Falcons-No BUSH in New Orleans."

BART'S THOUGHTS FOR THE WEEK

"I am awful at picking games. I am in last place and none of my previous strategies have worked, so I have a new one. It is fairly low-level and I am already more confident in it than I am in trying to actually pick the games using logic. So here is, here is my new strategy for the rest of the year, it will save me time and thought. The first team listed is going to be heads on the quarter, the second team is going to be tails, which just happens to be a picture of a sailboat on the ocean in the foreground and a bridge in the background. I am not really sure why there is a random bridge in the middle of the ocean, but I will go with it because I am sure that someone out there knows more than me about bridges and oceans, I don’t claim to be an expert. Anyway that is my new strategy, it can’t go much worse than the old ones.

My thumb is now tired. Good luck to everyone except Barnes. Peace. Love. Turducken. Its two weeks late, I know."

There ya go. Enjoy week 14, we only have three more to go after this. GO BROWNS!!

Until next time, "read it, roll it, hole it."

No comments: