Friday, June 12, 2009

LIVE BLOG - 2009 NHL FINALS - GAME SEVEN

By: Luke Florence

This one is for all the marbles.

Thanks for joining me tonight for a running LIVE blog of Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

A running blog would not be complete without commentary from you, so here is how you can play along at home, or in some cases, at work.

1) Simply leave a comment at the end of the post. I am constantly checking these, and will post your comment along with my reaction in the blog. Very simple.

2) For those with AOL AIM capabilities, my screen name is Lflo_12_23. Send me a message and we will transfer it onto here.

3) And lastly, for those that are up to the challenge, get a hold of me on Facebook somehow.

Thanks for listening, and hope to hear from you on this historic night. GO PENS!!

(In order to read this blog from the start-to-finish, scroll down to the bottom and read up. Giddy up)

__________________________________________________________________


10:59
- It's been an incredible night, one that I will not forget anytime soon. Make sure to come back tomorrow to hear my collected thoughts. What a night!!!!

THE PITTSBURGH PENGUINS ARE THE 2009 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!

"PRACTICE WITH PRIDE, PLAY WITH POISE, WIN WITH CLASS. TOGETHER THEY WILL BE MIGHTY!!!"

GO PENGUINS!!!!!



10:57
- Thank you everyone who participated tonight for this great night. Thank you Matt Barnes, I now know how you felt when Ohio State won the National Championship (in fact those two teams have some similarities). Thank you Eric Koby, even though it didn't go the way you wanted, at least your Tigers are in first place. Thank you.

10:52
- When MAF made those two gigantic saves with less than six seconds left, and the clock hit 0.0, a huge relief came off of me and was filled with instantaneous joy. I still can not believe it. This is what a championship feels like, and a part of me will never be the same, because you can always come back to this moment.

Matt Barnes, "
WHAT A FINISH! Congrats Luke and Pens fans."

Ryan Polito, "STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!"

Jessica Corey, "Pretty exciting, huh?"

10:42 -
Taking it all in!! Pens are the Stanley Cup Champions!! I'm not used to this.

10:36 - 6 seconds to go. another one last face off. marian hossa sucks

10:35
- 16 seconds to go. One last face-off. Is this what a heart attack feels like??

10:34
- Offsides on Red Wings. 30 seconds to go. AHHHHHHHHHH!!!

10:33 -
Osgood pulled. Empty net. One minute to go.

10:32
- Detroit timeout. They will be pulling Osgood ASAP. I can literally feel my heart thumping in my chest. It's never easy, which is why it feels so good when you finally win it.

10:31
- 1:13 to go. If you never hear from me, you can assume what happens next.

10:30
- 2:00 to go. Shot rings off the post. I'm going to die.

10:28
- 3:23 to go. I can't blink or breathe. Oh wow.

10:27
- "
Oh boy. This is gonna come down to the end. Remember our score predictions? Maybe in OT?" - Matt Barnes.

Let's hope not. If the Red Wings score the next goal, you have to think they will win it. And remember ... no Crosby.

10:26
- "
GO PENGUINS! Just for you man. I had OSU. I want you to have this." - Matt Barnes.

I heart my friends.

10:22
- Down to 6:30 ... lots of action, but the score remains the same ... 2-0 Penguins ... UNTIL ...

ERICSSON SCORES A GOAL AND MAKES IT 2-1 PENGUINS. THE LEAD IS CUT IN HALF.

WHAT HAPPENS IN VEGAS STAYS IN VEGAS, EXCEPT HERPES.

Can the Penguins hold on?? 5:30 to go. Joe Louis is fired up.

10:17
- Crosby is back out of the game ... he's not coming back in any time soon. He looked slow and hurt, but he is a hockey player so I guess you just never know. 8:40 to go ... and counting!!

10:16
- This just in ... Jamie Foxx can act AND sing. Alert the media. And Crosby comes back in ... did not expect that.

10:14
- 10:25 to go in the third!! Penguins still up 2-0. Unreal they are up with NO SIDNEY CROSBY AT ALL!! The next time he touches the ice, it may be to lift the Stanley Cup trophy. God I love sports.

10:11 -
Penguins fans are getting louder. Red Wings continue to bring offense. 12 minutes to go!!

10:09
- Power Play Killed!! 15 minutes to go!! Crosby is not going to be playing anymore this game.

10:07
- MAF!!

10:06
- Mark Eaton (went to Notre Dame, as if I needed even more bad karma) cross checks, and now the Red Wings will have the advantage on a Power Play. Will be standing up for the entire 2 minutes.

10:04
- Red Wings are going to be attacking the ENTIRE PERIOD. Going to need plenty of MAF's. Hopefully the Penguins can hold their ground and create chances on turnovers.

10:02
- Crosby is back in the line-up, and we will have to see how effective he will be. And the countdown has begun. 20 minutes to the Cup!!

10:01 - Enough! I don't care about Applebee's $20 deal, or how a bunch of people turned into a Phoenix. I want this 3rd period to begin ... COME ON!!

9:57
- Could this intermission be any longer?? Let's get this 3rd period started. I'm basically typing with my ass hardly touching the couch at this point.

9:54 - "
I like the Penguins chances. Don't wanna jinx them or anything but they're in great shape." - Matt Barnes.

Me too Barnes, me too. Which is why I'm getting extra nervous. It will be a very long 20 minutes, that's for sure.

9:51 - Starting to get really nervous in between periods. You have to understand, I've NEVER won a team championship without the name Michael Jordan. I don't remember 1988 Notre Dame football. I don't remember the 1991 and 1992 Pittsburgh Penguins. I've been close (see '95 Indians, '97 Indians, '07 Indians, '08 Penguins, '93 Irish) but I've always been disappointed. Now, I'm just 20 minutes away. Let the countdown begin.

9:45 - SECOND PERIOD PENGUIN POSITIVES

1) Um, let's start out with the fact that they are up 2-0.

2) Maxime Talbot. (No player has ever scored a hat-trick in a game seven of the stanley cup finals)

3) MAF, MAF, MAF.

4) THEY ARE UP 2-0 ... ON THE ROAD ... AGAINST THE DEFENDING STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS ... IN A DECIDING GAME SEVEN.

- SECOND PERIOD PENGUIN NEGATIVES

1) The fact that Crosby has not come back since his injury.

2) You just have a feeling the Red Wings are going to score ... eventually.

3) No Crosby.

4) Barnes gets to pick Tiger Woods next week.

9:43 - Using "Fleury" is too long. Going with his initials for big saves now.

- MAF, MAF, MAF, MAF, MAF, MAF!!!

- Big saves end the 2nd period. Still 2-0 Penguins. 20 minutes separate the Penguins from the Stanley Cup.

9:40 - Jordan Staal almost produces a breakaway, but doesn't quite have the speed. But the effort is there, and you have to love it, especially up 2-0. If the Penguins hold on to win this game, his short-handed goal might be the turning point.

- Just going to say his name when he makes a big save from this point on.

- Fleury.

9:36 - The usual loud Joe Louis crowd has been a little quiet the past five minutes or so. Would love to keep it that way.

- Fleury makes another good save as there is less than four minutes remaining in the second. Crosby is not coming back this period, and the Penguins are having to double up on shifts to make up for his absence.

- Not good.

9:33 - Less than six minutes to go in the second period. Still have not seen Crosby, and yes I'm a little worried about that, despite what his head coach said. Fleury has been nothing short of outstanding (knocking on wood).

That's what she said.

9:31 - "
Fucking 2-0, come on." - Eric Koby

Not a good couple of hours for Koby. The only thing worse than his team being down 0-2 in game seven is having to be at work during it. Or maybe it's good that he doesn't have to watch it? Just trying to be optimistic for ya Koby.

9:29 - Dan Bylsma says Crosby will be back, but I haven't seem him yet.

9:27 - "
Yeah, the last Hangover quote could've been better. First one was good. Second one not good enough. Just saw the movie yesterday and there was much better." - Matt Barnes.

I'm up for suggestions. To be quite honest, I get so damn excited, I just use the first one that comes to me.

9:26 - My heart is out of control right now. Penguins jump out to a 2-0 lead. Maxime Talbot trying his best to win the Conn Smythe. Crosby still hasn't seen the ice since his injury. God I love this team.

9:23 - GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL!!!!

MAXIME TALBOT DOES IT AGAIN!!!!

SCORES ON A 2-ON-1!!!

2-0 PENGUINS!!!!

NOT AT THE TABLE JOSE!!!


9:21 - Fleury makes a stop, and the power play is killed. 11 minutes to go in the 2nd. Still awaiting word on Crosby.

9:18 - (Standing the entire power play again)

9:17 - "
Uh Oh. Crosby hurt. Detroit power play. I smell a goal coming up." - Matt Barnes.

You know, the last time I live blogged, Jordan Staal scored short-handed. Deja-vu??

9:16 - Sidney Crosby looks really hurt as he struggles to get back to the bench, and the Red Wings are going to go on a power play. Not a good two minutes of action for Pittsburgh.

This will be a HUGE power play. Huge.

9:14 - HOLY CRAP!! BIG SAVES BY FLEURY AND THEN OSGOOD. DID I SAY HOLY CRAP?? HOLY CRAP!!

9:12 - Lots of space available in 4-on-4. You would think Crosby and Malkin might find some room. Plenty of open ice.

9:09 - Yeah my heart is racing. Matching minors means 4-on-4. I'm still trying to catch my breath.

9:07 - GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOALLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!

TURNOVER RESULTS IN MAXIME TALBOT'S GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS A LOT BIN LADEN!!!

1-0 PENGUINS - 18:40 IN 2ND.


- "
Turnovers turnovers turnovers. WOW. How bout an ATTA BOY for Max Talbot! Tough save for Osgood to make." - Matt Barnes.

ATTA BOY TALBOT!!


9:06 - Back to live action. 2nd period. Game Seven.

9:03 - Also, it should be noted that with everything this series has to offer, there has not been one overtime game yet ... just saying. We could be here a while.

9:01 - While I have everyone's attention. How about a moment of silence for Trent Green. (Moment of silence, as Dick Vermeil sheds a tear)

Thank you.

8:57 - "
1st intermission conversation: Indians are beginning to play well. Still like their chances to make the playoffs?" - Matt Barnes

With the Indians, the big thing they have going for them is how weak the American League Central is this year. We've talked before the season, that this division will be determined by who can have the best "in-division" record. Therefore, there is no reason the Indians can't get back in contention, because they aren't they far out of it, despite how badly they have played.

They are only seven games out of first place, but they will have to improve on their 14-16 Central record if they are going to make a run.

Who would have thought Carl Pavano would be a highlight? Not me. I would have put better odds of Dennis Martinez winning the AL Cy Young.

- "
I'll agree. The in-division record has to improve. But considering the injuries to the team, including our heart Grady Sizemore, I like that we've kept it afloat this long. The starting pitching hasn't been great but hasn't been awful. The bullpen is recovering from it's awful start. Our hitting could use some more pop but that will come.

If we can put together a good month of June, which we have so far, I think that'd do wonders for the rest of the year, getting Westbrook back and maybe adding a bat or arm at the deadline." - Matt Barnes.

Oh yeah, completely forgot about Jake Westbrook.

8:52 - FIRST PERIOD PENGUIN POSITIVES

1) Marc Andre Fleury looks good ... really good.

2) After looking scared at the onset, they calmed down, got some good looks, and started to match the physicality the Red Wings were offering.

3) No penalties. Obviously the refs aren't calling much, but, the last time Pittsburgh played in Joe Louis Arena, they had an unimaginable 48 penalty minutes.

4) The Jordan Staal line.

- FIRST PERIOD PENGUIN NEGATIVES

1) Chris Osgood looks good ... really good.

2) Detroit has neutralized Malkin and Crosby to this point, with neither having a great look yet.

3) Not being able to slow down Zetterberg and Datysuk.

4) Not being able to find the back of the net on the one-and only- power play of the first period.

8:50 - "
Exciting 1st period for sure. Not sure either team won it but like I said, first goal will be from the winning team, especially now." - Matt Barnes.

Well, I was expecting someone to score within the first 20 minutes. But you are right Barnes, and like I said earlier, the longer we go with no goals, the bigger emphasis will be on that first one. But, with Detroit's home crowd, I'm starting to think that first goal means more to Pittsburgh.

8:47 - GOODNESS GRACIOUS!! (Huge breath exhaled.) The last two minutes are full of chances on both sides. But the two goalies haven't let one by them yet. Unbelievable action.

At the end of one, the score is 0-0.

8:42 - A big positive for Pittsburgh has been the play of the 3rd line. Jordan Staal, Tyler Kennedy, and Matt Cooke are all applying pressure. It helps that they don't go up against the big guns of Detroit.

Fleury makes another outstanding save. He looks more than solid thus far. Two minutes remain in the first period.

8:38 - "
I find it ironic the Tigers and Pirates face each other tonight in Pittsburgh. If we break that game into three periods (3 inn/period), then the Wings will lead 1-0 after the 1st." - Matt Barnes.

I'm keeping with the "Destiny" theme throughout tonight. It's my tribute to LOST.

During this break, it should be noted I have my Brady Quinn jersey "road" jersey on tonight. Trying to build some good mojo for him. Or, I could be single-handily ruining his career. Time will tell.

8:36 - My God. I didn't realize how nervous I was for this game. Stood during the ENTIRE POWER PLAY. But, the Penguins didn't find the back of the net. They did sustain offense throughout. Under six minutes to go in the first.

8:34 - First penalty of the game!! Slashing on Detroit's Brad Stuart. No question it was a slash. Pens need this!!

8:32 - As stupid as the interviews of NBA coaches are during games, I really enjoy the NHL in-game interviews. The coaches actually answer relevant questions.

Somewhere Doris Burke is fuming.

8:30 - Halfway through the first period, and no team has scored. Detroit has looked the better and more calmer of the two teams, while Pittsburgh is holding on for dear life.

As for yours truly, I'm sitting on the very edge of the couch, standing up when the game gets exciting (only every other 30 seconds), and trying to keep pace on this live blog.

I should be getting paid for this.

8:28 - And there's the bounce. Bad bounce of the puck for the Red Wings, creates a huge chance for Pittsburgh's Tyler Kennedy, but Osgood and Detroit's defense is up to the task.

At the bare minimum, that should wake up Pittsburgh a bit.

8:27 - "
Oh forget it. Muhammad Ali is there and rooting for the Red Wings. Penguins have no chance." - Matt Barnes.

My thoughts exactly.

8:25 - If it wasn't enough that Pittsburgh had to battle history, now they have to battle Muhammad Ali, who is in attendance and wearing a Red Wings jersey.

As Charlie in LOST said, "Terrific."

8:23 - "
I agree. Bad start for Pittsburgh but as long as that scoreboard says 0-0, they're fine." - Matt Barnes.

That's why I love playoff hockey. You can be totally out-matched, get one lucky bounce and earn the win. At least Fleury doesn't look too bad thus far. If he did, well, then it would look a lot like Game Five.

8:22 - The longer we go, the more important that first goal will be.

At least Evgeni Malkin looks solid. Pittsburgh needs him to be spectacular tonight though.

8:19 - Did I mention Pittsburgh looks slow, scared and sloppy?? It's just a matter of time before Detroit finds the back of the net.

8:16 - Already envisioning Sandy Alomar Junior walking off dejectedly. This is not good. Pittsburgh looks overwhelmed. But remember, Fleury could save them all and they could still win.

8:15 - Not a good start. Penguins are dropping their sticks, missing on possible icing calls. But thank you Fleury for saving us already. This one is going to be tough.

8:11 -
"Here are my fearless predictions (Matt Barnes) ...

- Team who scores first will win.

- There will not be many penalties.

- Conn Smythe will go to Osgood.

- Sid the Kid will score a goal.

- Dwight Howard will not sink free throws down the stretch.

- The winning goal will come in the 3rd period.

- There will not be one fight (only been one fight all series).

- FINAL SCORE: Red Wings 3, Penguins 2 (Not trying to copy Luke. Just been saying it all day.)"

I'm going to add one more, "Jameer Nelson makes a funny face for forgetting to guard Derek Fisher."

And here ... we ... go. It's Game Seven.

8:08 - I'll get this out of the way now, because I have bigger fish to fry tonight.

"
With the first pick in the U.S. Open golf selections, Matt Barnes selects Tiger Woods, USA, 14-time Major Champion."

Ladies and gentlemen, Matt Barnes!!

If you are following along, and judging by the attendance you're not, Barnes and I pick golfers for every tournament. The winner the previous week gets the first pick the next. Well, my two golfers missed the cut this week, allowing for Barnes to grab Tiger.

I knew I should have taken John Daly.

8:05 - Make no mistake. There are a lot of great players who will be on the ice tonight, but the most important players will be the two goalies tonight. Marc-Andre Fleury and Chris Osgood. Whoever has the better game will be victorious. No question.

8:03 - Somebody tell Pierre McGuire and Mike Milbury that no one is sitting in the locker-room as they give their pre-game speech. As good as the intro was, that next segment was laughable. Just give me Mike Emrick please!!

7:58 - I've thought about every possibly scenario that could go down tonight, and the only one I'm tossing out the window would be a Penguins blow-out victory. But in all honesty, I have no idea how this is going to play out. Game 7's are different, especially when it's for the Stanley Cup Finals. One moment, one bounce, one second, could be the difference between hoisting the Cup, or watching it fade away.

It's obvious that Detroit holds the advantage of playing Game 7 on home ice. There have been fourteen Game 7's in the Stanley Cup Finals, and the home team have won twelve of them. So, Pittsburgh will be battling history if they want to hoist the Cup tonight.

Oh, and how sweet was that NBC intro?? Absolutely terrific. Reminded me of the 90's NBA on NBC intros. The kind where it gets you pumped up. But, as a fan of one of the two teams playing, it's pretty easy to get pumped up for this one.

7:53 - Okay, before the NBC broadcast hits the air, let's throw out some wild predictions.

- The team that scores first WILL NOT WIN.

- Malkin and Crosby BOTH will score goals.

- Marian Hossa will not.

- Henrik Zetterberg will score the game - and series - winning goal.

- The Conn Smythe Trophy (playoffs MVP) will go to Malkin.

- After every goal, I will be quoting The Hangover, ala Randy Moller.

- Final score - Red Wings 3, Penguins 2. (Let's hope I'm wrong)

7:50 - Let the comments begin. First comes from Eric Koby, the best Chemistry lab partner a guy could ask for. Being a die-hard Red Wings fan, his thoughts shouldn't be that big of a surprise. "
Go Wings!!! I'm at work right now, so I'm pretty much in hell knowing this game is going on. I have my espn tracker going so I should be ok for 5 seconds of the game."

We welcome Koby to this event, but feel badly knowing he has to work through it all. But as our buddy John Locke has said from time-to-time, "everything happens for a reason."

7:45 - At the beginning of this series, I picked the Red Wings to win in seven. And now, here we are. After six games, do I have the balls to switch my prediction? Hell no. As Father Jim used to tell me, "bet with your wallet and root with your heart."

That being said, no matter what happens, I'm extremely proud of this Penguins team. They started the regular season slow, had coaching problems, injury concerns, and at the mid-way point, looked lost. But, they switched coaches, got healthy, picked up some key free agents and found themselves the #4 seed in the Eastern Conference.

They hit their stride in the playoffs, showed resiliency in beating the Washington Capitals after being down 0-2, and now are just one game away from winning the Stanley Cup. Even if you are a Detroit Red Wings fan, you must admit, it's a pretty cool story.

7:38 - Oh billy. Not sure if I'm ready for this. It has been since 1998 - when Michael Jordan won his sixth NBA title - that one of my teams have won a championship. My last Game Seven experience was excruciating, exhilirating, and heart-breaking. That would be 1997 when the Cleveland Indians could not close out the Florida Marlins in the World Series. I kept score of that game to provide proof I was watching. I guess this blog will act as a substitute for a scorecard. Proof that I was there watching, rooting, and holding my breath.

19 comments:

Eric Koby said...

Go Wings!!! I'm at work right now, so I'm pretty much in hell knowing this game is going on. I have my espn tracker going so I should be ok for 5 seconds of the game

Matt said...

With the first pick in the U.S. Open golf selections, Matt Barnes selects Tiger Woods, USA, 14-time Major Champion

Matt said...

Here are my fearless predictions.

- Team who scores first will win
- There will not be many penalties
- Conn Smythe will go to Osgood
- Sid the Kid will score a goal
- Dwight Howard will not sink free throws down the stretch
- The winning goal will come in the 3rd period
- There will not be one fight (only been one fight all series)
- FINAL SCORE: Red Wings 3, Penguins 2 (Not trying to copy Luke. Just been saying it all day.)

Matt said...

I agree. Bad start for Pittsburgh but as long as that scoreboard says 0-0, they're fine.

Matt said...

Oh forget it. Muhammad Ali is there and rooting for the Red Wings. Penguins have no chance.

Matt said...

I find it ironic the Tigers and Pirates face each other tonight in Pittsburgh. If we break that game into three periods (3 inn/period), then the Wings will lead 1-0 after the 1st

Matt said...

Exciting 1st period for sure. Not sure either team won it but like I said, first goal will be from the winning team, especially now.

Matt said...

1st intermission conversation: Indians are beginning to play well. Still like their chances to make the playoffs?

Matt said...

I'll agree. The in-division record has to improve. But considering the injuries to the team, including our heart Grady Sizemore, I like that we've kept it afloat this long. The starting pitching hasn't been great but hasn't been awful. The bullpen is recovering from it's awful start. Our hitting could use some more pop but that will come.

If we can put together a good month of June, which we have so far, I think that'd do wonders for the rest of the year, gettign Westbrook back and maybe adding a bat or arm at the deadline.

Matt said...

Turnovers turnovers turnovers. WOW. How bout an ATTA BOY for Max Talbot! Tough save for Osgood to make.

Matt said...

Uh Oh. Crosby hurt. Detroit power play. I smell a goal coming up

Matt said...

Yeah, the last Hangover quote could've been better. First one was good. Second one not good enough. Just saw the movie yesterday and there was much better

KOby said...

Fucking 2-0, come on

Matt said...

I like the Penguins chances. Don't wanna jinx them or anything but they're in great shape

Luke said...

Barnes,

Be ready for The Hangover quotes for the rest of the game.

I'm anticipating an empty-net goal perhaps towards the end, so I'm hoping you have a couple great ones that could be a finishing touch.

Thanks, Luke

Matt said...

I didn't know they gave away rings at the Holocaust

OR

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. Except herpes

GO PENGUINS! Just for you man. I had OSU. I want you to have this

Matt said...

Oh boy. This is gonna come down to the end. Remember our score predictions? Maybe in OT?

Matt said...

WHAT A FINISH! Congrats Luke and Pens fans

Anonymous said...

Hi There I'd love to congratulate you for such a terrific quality site!
thought this would be a nice way to introduce myself!

Sincerely,
Hilary Driscoll
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/shark-party-supplies.html]shark Party Supplies[/url].