Friday, February 12, 2010

2010 Black History Month: #21 Black Sports Moment -Tyus Edney

By: Luke Florence
2010 Black History Month: #21 Black Sports Moment

Tyus Edney's Buzzer Beater Sends UCLA to the Sweet 16
I have always enjoyed rooting for the little guy.

My first recollection of little guys playing basketball was in 1996 when our family took a trip to Bowling Green. The specific reasoning for the trip to my mother's alma mater is unclear, but we did get to watch a BGSU basketball game against Eastern Michigan.

Antonio Daniels (BGSU) vs. Earl Boykins (EMU).

Daniels was the rave of Bowling Green at the time and deservedly so. One year later he would be the #4 pick in the NBA draft. But as the game started I could only keep an eye on one player. Boykins.

Standing at five foot five, Boykins was easily the shortest player on the court. But, he might have been the best. I clearly remember my father raving about his play, about how he had to do the "little" things (pun) better than everyone else to make up for his small stature.

Eastern Michigan won by nearly 20.

I told you that story to tell you this one.

In 1995 I was a big UCONN basketball fan. Loved their coach, loved Ray Allen, even loved their mascot. Notre Dame wasn't in a conference for basketball, so I rarely, if at all, watched any of their games. Therefore, UCONN it was.

Ray Allen was the 1995 College Basketball Player Of The Year, and all signs pointed to a strong run in the NCAA Tournament. That lasted until Selection Sunday when I saw the one team I didn't want to see in UCONN's region ... UCLA. They had only one loss and were the prohibitive favorites to win it all.

I don't hate a lot of NCAA basketball programs, but for some strange reason, I despise UCLA. They are the USC of basketball for yours truly. Can't explain it, but it's always been that way.

So, when UCLA was trailing Missouri 74-73 with less than five seconds remaining in the 2nd round, I was firmly planted behind the Tigers' bench. A UCLA loss would clear the way for UCONN to reach the Final Four. But, then this happened.

I vividly remember sitting there, having just watched the following, with my mouth wide open. Couldn't believe it. Didn't think it was possible for a guy to go the length of a court in less than five seconds and get a lay-up. Thought there had to be a mistake.

Part of me still doesn't believe it.

At the time, I was angry, confused, and in disbelief. And wouldn't you know, UCLA would go on to win the entire tournament, including an Elite Eight victory over my beloved Huskies.

It wasn't until that trip to Bowling Green a year later, and watching Earl Boykins play that I started to appreciate what Tyus Edney did.

First of all, Edney was not the star of the UCLA team. Far from it. Ed O'Bannon was first in line, his brother Charles might have been second, and you could even have put Cameron Dollar in front of Edney.

Second, Edney was five foot ten, but looked a lot shorter. In order to get down the court as fast as he did, he needed not just the quickness, but superb ball-handling. Watch that clip again and notice the behind the back dribble, right after he crosses half-court. It sets the entire play up.

And lastly, as the years have gone by, it has become one of the most memorable buzzer-beaters in the NCAA tournament. I put it right up there with Bryce Drew and Valparaiso.

So maybe I didn't enjoy it when it happened. But I can appreciate it for what it's worth now.

Hint for #20: It was at this person's roast where the following joke took place, "Nate Newton wanted to be here, but he had too much trouble stuffing his weed into the over-head compartment. Jerry Jones wanted to be here, but he had ANYTHING better to do. Troy Aikman wanted to be here but he had a concussion opening the invitation."

Until next time, "read it, roll it, hole it."

No comments: