Saturday, February 06, 2010

2010 Black History Month: Black Sports Moments - An Intro

By: Luke Florence

Sometimes life gets in the way.

That's the only explanation for why we are six days into February and there hasn't been a single mention of Black History Month. Last year it was a bit easier to sit down for an hour each day and punch out my favorite black television characters. Didn't have a job. Didn't have a girlfriend. Didn't have a dog, let alone two (just happened three days ago). Didn't have a death in the family hit me.

Life just happens sometimes and when it does you have to prioritize. Unfortunately, this list fell by the way-side. However, it can still be salvaged. Here we are on the sixth day of February with the intro. By this time tomorrow, hopefully we are all caught up. It could happen, believe.

As our good friend and resident blacketologist (bracketology rip-off) Matt Barnes awaits, I present my tribute to him during his one month of the year. The best black sporting moments since July of 1986 (when Earth was first graced with the presence of Matt Barnes).
But first, some back story.

Barnes has already done most of that in his blog post HERE, but I felt it was important to provide a look into my mindset before we embark on this incredible journey together.

First, the question needs to be addressed, what exactly is a moment??

It's hard to define but impossible to forget. We all remember where we were when Barack Obama was elected because history deemed it a monumental moment. We all remember where we were when Syracuse and Georgetown battled for six over-times because we've never seen anything that crazy. We all remember where we were when the World Trade Centers collapsed because we all knew our lives would never be the same again.

It appears a moment can be a person, a game, an event, or even an entire day.

With that in mind, how will I determine what qualifies for this list?

Well, limiting my database to the past 23 years makes it a little bit easier because I should remember most of them. Sure, there might be something that takes place in the late 80's that I do not have a recollection of happening, but those will be few and far between.

Whenever I make a list, especially for Barnes, I try to implement a few things. First, I want to make him laugh. Secondly, I want to surprise him. Lastly, I want it to be accurate.

This specific list creates some challenges because the term "moment" (as we just discussed) is quite broad. My hope is to create a list that is full of variety. Unique sports, females, and firsts will all be given a preference.

But in the end, this is my list, so the order will be determined by my recollection of these moments. Whether it be a game, a day, an event, whatever, how well I remembered it, enjoyed it, and rooted for it, will all play a factor. Don't forget the black-white relationship and its' importance in my Black History Month (BHM) lists. It bumped Turk from Scrubs to #2 last year, and it just might do the same this year as well.

So there you have it, a long introduction to my BHM list this year. It's the least I can do for Barnes.

Enjoy February boys and girls. It's cold, it's short, but it's also important.

Until next time, "read it, roll it, hole it."

No comments: