Sunday, January 09, 2011

This Side or the Other

By: Luke Florence

"I'll see you again ... on this side or the other." - Doug MacRay, The Town

Those that have been following this blog since its' inception know it is commonplace for me to take a leave of absence here and there. Things happen for one reason or another, and the King of Arguments goes on hiatus. What you may not know is how much it eats at me when that delay occurs. It's a constant thought on my mind, like an itch impossible to reach. The only way to satisfy that itch is to sit down and write.

The other night I sat down and instead of writing, I looked back at my previous posts that have accumulated here the past four years. Stories about sports, stories about girls, and some stories about life. It's as much of a public diary if there ever was one.

The most obvious question is "What's next?" Where do we go from here? I've reluctantly missed the majority of the 2010 NFL ATS season, which is as regrettable of an offense as I've made in the short history of the KOA. It wouldn't be fair to declare finalists, set-up an awards banquet, and hand out hardware. Consider it a strike-shortened season with regards to comments. That thought alone saddens my heart something awful.

But as I wrote back in July, sometimes you just have to move on ... as hard as that is. So here we are ... moving on. Moving away from the lackluster 2010 NFL ATS season and onto whatever is in store for 2011.

In school, we are taught that the first part of writing is the brainstorming process. Well this post is going to represent my brainstorming for the rest of 2011. Here is what I would like to accomplish on this blog in the upcoming 12 months.

1) Finish the 2009 F'd Up Tournament. We are down to Michael Jackson's Final Destiny, but we haven't finished it. Once we do, we can focus on 2011's version. What happened to 2010 you may ask? Well, the F'd Up Tournament is like the Olympics ... too big to take place every year.

2) Compile a list of my 100 favorite movies. Matt Barnes and I talked about doing this a while back but it never happened. This will be quite the task, but I feel it will be my second most important list I've ever created. Right behind my top 50 favorite sport-figures of all-time.

3) Speaking of Barnes, February is almost upon us and that will mean another Black History Month list. As of right now we don't have a topic for 2011, but that will change quite soon.

4) Allow others to post on the King of Arguments. We are stealing this idea from our friends over at the Court Street Cup, but it's okay to steal ideas as long as they are good ones. When the 2011 NFL ATS season gets underway expect a multitude of contributors.

5) A weekly column about anything and everything. The idea behind this is to post something on here once a week for the entire year. I've made this promise before, so place your bets on whether or not I'll follow through on it.

6) A LOST review. Enough time has passed that I can put together some sort of finale review. I'm thinking of posting my general thoughts on LOST, ranking all of the LOST episodes, and possibly starting a LOST re-watch.

7) Book reviews of each and every book I finish in 2011. My nine-year-old self is furious I'm going to voluntarily write book reviews. I'm currently reading three books, and my plan is to have them all finished by the end of February. A great way to better your writing skills is becoming a constant reader.

8) I love the idea of Music Mondays, and really want to incorporate that somehow, but don't think a weekly column will work. Instead, I'm aiming for either a bi-weekly or monthly wrap-up of the music I'm listening to.

9) Previews and picks of all major sporting events for the year. We will be starting with the NFL Divisional games this coming weekend.

10) A monthly mailbag of comments, questions and concerns by you the readers. Sure I would love them to be real comments (send to kingofarguments@gmail.com) but I will more than likely have to make them up. Such is life.

So that's it. That's what I'm hoping to accomplish in 2011 with the KOA.

As Winston Churchill said, "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." So that's what I will be doing. Hope to see you again, on this side or the other.

Until next time, "read it, roll it, hole it."

No comments: