Thursday, September 15, 2011

KOA's 100 Films: Rapid Reaction to Barnes' 20-11

By: Luke Florence
It's been a bumpy ride at times, but now that we are down to the final twenty movies I'm expecting less surprise selections from Barnes. Seeing as this isn't the first time we've discussed our all-time favorite movies it's safe to assume I could probably guess 65-80% of his remaining twenty.

Let's see if Barnes is able to defy the odds.




Barnes #20: Jack
SEEN IT AND LIKED IT

Count Jack as one of the movies I was expecting from Barnes. When Kevin, Barnes and myself made our initial movie list in 2005 I remember Jack being pretty high up on Barnes' list. What I find interesting is that Jack was pretty high up on my list as well, which begs the question ... what happened??

Jack is not on my top-100 and was never in serious consideration at any point. Chalk it up to me being a different person than 2005. Or, chalk it up to having a different taste of movies from six years ago. Or, maybe chalk it up to seeing a bunch of better films. Whatever the reason, Jack is not one of my all-time favorites.

I completely understand why Barnes loves it so much and I'm glad to see it find the top-20 of his list.

Barnes #19: Office Space
SEEN IT AND LOVED IT

Kind of surprised with this selection, but after reading his reaction of when I put Office Space on my list (#71) I figured it was going to make an appearance on Barnes' list at some point. Stunned that it's this high though. Mainly because I've never heard Barnes really quote/talk about Office Space before.

Happy it's here as it really is a great movie.

Barnes #18: Juno
SEEN IT AND OKAY'D IT

I've only seen this movie once and while I certainly laughed throughout, nothing really stood out for me. Yes, Ellen Page was quite good and deserved the Oscar nomination she received. Yes, Jason Bateman, Jennifer Garner and Michael Cera round out a really solid cast. And yes, it takes a unique twist on teenage pregnancy, but I honestly don't remember too much from this movie.

Maybe I should watch it again ... it's probably not going to crack the top-100 but if Barnes has it this high on his list it's probably worth a second look.

Barnes #17: Coming To America
SEEN IT AND LIKED IT

Was anticipating Barnes putting this in his top-ten so I was a little surprised to see it land outside the top-15. This really is a hilarious movie and has you wondering whatever happened to Eddie Murphy.

Not really sure if it's a sell-out or not, but Eddie stopped doing these R-rated films and in my mind, stopped being funny. It's too bad because I don't think I've ever been excited for an Eddie Murphy movie and judging by his 80s material (which is terrific), that's a tremendous letdown.

Barnes #16: Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story
SEEN IT AND LOVED IT

Dodgeball is a funny movie filled with great quotes. Barnes is absolutely correct when he says it's full of great characters as well. It's one of those movies you can watch on a rainy day and keep yourself entertained.

Ben Stiller is the #1 reason why this movie is memorable as he plays Vince Vaughn's arch-nemesis. Didn't make my top-100 but would have been in the 110-125 range. Another solid pick by Barnes.

Barnes #15: The Hurt Locker
SEEN IT AND LOVED IT

Much like Dodgeball just missed out on my list, The Hurt Locker did the same. Loved every minute of it but just couldn't find room for it. As I've only seen it once there is a really good chance it would make it after a second viewing.

Jeremy Renner is amazing in this movie and after watching him in this and The Town, he became one of my favorite actors. Glad to see Barnes put it this high. Well done.

Barnes #14: Slumdog Millionaire
SEEN IT AND LIKED IT

I like Slumdog and had no problem with it racking up eight Oscars because I could see why other people would consider it a "great" movie. But at the end of the day, it just wasn't in my "great" category.

It has a great script and does an outstanding job of using flashbacks (very LOST-like) to help us understand the story. I'm a little surprised to see Barnes have it this high on his list but he must be one of those who uses the word "great" when describing it.

Barnes #13: Sister Act II: Back In The Habit
SEEN IT AND LOVED IT

It pained me to leave this movie off my list. It's seriously #101 and was the last movie I cut. Will it make version 2.0?? Only one way to find out.

I love the music, I love the story, I love the humor. I love it all. As I've gotten older I can appreciate different aspects than I did when I was nine and watching it for the first time. That's a sign of a great movie.

Knew this had to be showing up at some point on Barnes' list and he didn't let me down.

Barnes #12: The Boondock Saints
HAVEN'T SEEN IT AND WANT TO

Barnes and I were talking this week during bowling about how we are going to make a post with the top ten or twenty movies we want to watch after our lists are complete. Well you can go ahead and put The Boondock Saints on my watch-list.

I'm a little disappointed in myself for not seeing this movie as I've heard nothing but good things about it. After reading Barnes' description I'm almost certain I will love this movie.

Barnes #11: Mrs. Doubtfire
SEEN IT AND LIKED IT

This post is bookended by a pair of Robin Williams movies. I really hope Barnes tallies up his actors and actresses at the end of this list to see who appears the most. Robin Williams, Tom Hanks, Paul Rudd and Ben Stiller all have to be up in the running.

See what I wrote for Jack and the same applies for Mrs. Doubtfire. Word for word. Except that it has Pierce Brosnan in it ... you lose a couple points for that.

RECAP

Can't find one reason to complain with these ten movies. They are all movies I like to watch and a couple nearly made my list. I'm really excited to see what Barnes has in store for his final ten. If I were ranking these movies here's what it would look like.

1) Office Space
2) Sister Act II: Back In The Habit
3) The Hurt Locker
4) Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story
5) Coming To America
6) Jack
7) Mrs. Doubtfire
8) Slumdog Millionaire
9) The Boondock Saints
10) Juno

It'll be more than a month until the next time I recap Barnes' movies. I'll do a recap after movies 10-6, and then my final one on his last five.

Until next time, "read it, roll it, hole it."

No comments: