Sunday, October 28, 2007

2007 NFL Picks Week Eight

Due to most of my writing time this week being spent on a soon-to-be released massive column on the Cleveland Indians, it means this column will be on the short side. Not to worry, we still have a Maxine Hunt pick to look forward to as well as another Ballbuster Pick of the Week. So it's not a total loss.

Congrats to me again for having the best record last week, going 11-3. The 11-3 record just so happens to be the best record anyone has had throughout seven weeks. There's still plenty of time for someone to one-up that mark.

One last side note before getting into the picks. Two of our players, Kevin and Sara, are coming home from Australia this upcoming week. On behalf of our league I wish them a safe flight home and I'm looking forward to the Seahawks game here in a week. Giddy up.

STANDINGS (after seven weeks)
1) Luke 59-44 (11-3)
2) Sara 57-46 (9-5)
3) Devin 54-49 (9-5)
4) Kevin 52-51 (9-5)
5) Mr. Normand 51-52 (8-6)
6) Grothaus 50-53 (5-9) * went back through the weeks, and saw that I missed one
7) Bart 48-55 (6-8)
8) Barnes 46-57 (6-8)

Cleveland (-3) @ St. Louis

This just screams "obvious game," but I'm not listening. I went back through the first seven weeks and compiled everyone's records against individual teams. For example, Devin has the best record with the Browns at 4-2, while Devin, Sara, and Barnes lead the way for the Rams at 4-3. Such is my life. Pick: Cleveland

Sara brings up a great point about the recent changes to the NFL Draft, "I don't have anything to say this week other than I'm glad the NFL is shortening time for draft picks to 10 minutes. Too bad this doesn't affect the Browns next year." True story.

Kevin has a full slate of comments to enjoy and starts it out with, "Steven Jackson just made this a closer game than it needs to be, but I see the Browns defense stepping up in this game. The bye week should have helped Antwan Peek and Willie McGinest heal a little bit, which should help the pass rush on Bulger. Or at least we can only hope." Welcome to the life of a Browns fan.

Mr. Normand keeps it simple, "Go Browns. Enough said." Yes sir.

CLE: Luke, Sara, Devin, Kevin, Mr. Normand, Barnes
STL: Bart

Detroit @ Chicago (-5)

The Lions have failed to cover on the road this year while the Bears haven't covered at home yet as well. Something has to give. I'm going with the Bears because I'm shivering at the mere thought of the Lions sitting at 5-2. Pick: Chicago

Mr. Normand picks Detroit and then says, "The Lions need to wake up to win 10 games." Well, they win this one and they will be well on their way.

Kevin doesn't have a comment but is 5-1 so far picking the Lions games. Do with this as you will.

DET: Kevin, Mr. Normand, Bart, Barnes
CHI: Luke, Sara, Devin

Indianapolis (-7) @ Carolina

This is the definition of a trap game, especially with Marvin Harrison not playing. However, Vinny Testaverde IS playing, and that should bold well for Bob Sanders. Pick: Indianapolis

Mr. Normand follows my line of thinking as he hopes the Colts aren't looking ahead.

Kevin asks a question that he and I both know the answer to, "I swore I would take the Panthers if Vinny and Byron Leftwich started in the same week. Now Vinny might not even start and Leftwich is out 3-4 weeks with an ankle injury. There's no way I can seriously hold the power to injure people from thousands of miles away just by talking about them, can I??"

IND: Luke, Sara, Devin, Kevin, Mr. Normand, Bart, Barnes
CAR:

New York Giants (-9.5) @ Miami @ London

The Dolphins are having a bad couple of weeks. Trent Green goes down with a season ending concussion. Ronnie Brown is done for the year. Chris Chambers is traded to the Chargers. Now, they have a home game @ London. Go figure. Pick: New York Giants

Mr. Normand adds a little English flavor, "Taking the bloddy GMEN, of course." I love it.

Kevin comes through with yet another quote of the week, "Cleo Lemon?? Jessie Chatman?? The Dolphins are looking worse every week. They even lost linebacker Zach Thomas because he's suffering from whiplash. The ironic thing is, the injury occurred after last weekend's loss in Miami to the Patriots. Thomas was rear-ended in his car by, according to police reports, a man wearing a New England jersey. They can't catch a break and still won't when they head to England. If the Dolphins can't beat NEW England, how are they supposed to beat Old ('Olde'??) England?? The word 'bloody' will have two meanings to English fans attending in London this weekend: 'The bloody Giants beat the blood out of the Dolphins. How bloody much did we pay for these tickets?? Bloody hell.'" Yes, these are my friends.

NYG: Luke, Sara, Devin, Kevin, Mr. Normand, Barnes
MIA: Bart

Oakland @ Tennessee (-7)

I've actually done quite well picking Titans games this year, posting a league best 4-2 record. However, this does nothing for me as I'm really not sure on this one. I'm banking on the Raiders keeping it close. God help me. Pick: Oakland

Kevin's Ballbuster Pick of the Week (2-4): Tennessee

Instead of over complicating things this week, Kevin decides to keep it simple and take the home team in the fifth game listed.

"I think the record for this pick is just bad. I don't even want to know it. But I am taking a different approach. Perhaps I threw too much at my Ballbuster picks right at the beginning of the year, making it more difficult to understand. That's why I'm dumbing down the playbook a little bit, so the Ballbuster can get back on track." We'll see.

OAK: Luke, Sara, Bart
TEN: Devin, Kevin, Mr. Normand, Barnes

Philadelphia (-1) @ Minnesota

I started the season 0-4 on Eagles games, but somehow managed to win the last two. Here's to hoping I can make it three. Pick: Philadelphia

Mr. Normand does the correct thing as he says, "I'm tired of waiting for McNabb to have another good game."

Philly has been one of those teams that just can not put two good games together. They also have been favored every week, going 2-4 ATS. Ouch.

Kevin wants to give up on the Eagles, but just can't quite yet, "I can't get off the Eagles' train. Making this spread one point just begs me to keep picking them. So I will."

PHI: Luke, Devin, Kevin
MIN: Sara, Mr. Normand, Bart, Barnes

Pittsburgh (-3.5) @ Cincinnati

The Steelers are 1-2 ATS on the road while the Bengals are 2-1 at home. Here's to hoping that trend continues. Pick: Cincinnati

Mr. Normand feels that even though the Bengals sometimes play up to their competition, it won't be this time.

Kevin provides some insider information I'm betting he gained during his internship, "The Steelers own the Bengals at Paul Brown Stadium. This is a true instance of me not betting on my hopes." All of a sudden I don't like my pick.

PIT: Devin, Kevin, Mr. Normand
CIN: Luke, Sara, Bart, Barnes

Buffalo @ New York Jets (-3)

I'm 99% confident of my pick in this AFC East match-up. The Bills are simply not the same team on the road as they are at home. They are a perfect 4-0 at home ATS and 0-2 on the road. Pick: New York Jets

Maxine Hunt Pick of the Week (2-0): New York Jets

"Me: Buffalo at New York Jets, Jets are 3-point favorites

Mom: ? thinking**After a period of time...**

Mom: Jets

Me: Well, you spent some time on it, any particular reason why you chose them??

Mom: Cuz when i think Buffalo.....I think Buffalo Buffons

Mom: or maybe Baffoons

Mom: sounds like balloon

Mom: genius, right

Once again, she's 2-0, how can I NOT go with her picks."

Wow.

BUF: Sara, Devin, Bart, Barnes
NYJ: Luke, Kevin, Mr. Normand

Houston @ San Diego (-9)

I don't know how this happened, but I'm 7-0 on Houston Texans games. Go figure. Pick: San Diego

Mr. Normand throws a joke at Texans backup QB Sage Rosenfels, "I am not really a SAGE but going with the Chargers!"

Kevin does a good job of putting things in perspective, "Talk about not being a game about football at all. I sure hope the wildfires continue to die down/be put out. Something tells me the Chargers players will actually WANT to just play football this weekend, to not worry about their homes, etc. for a 3-4 hour period, though the opposite could happen just as easily."

HOU: Bart
SD: Luke, Sara, Devin, Kevin, Mr. Normand, Barnes

Jacksonville (-2.5) @ Tampa Bay

This spread does not do justice to the Jags QB Quinn Gray. I expect the Bucs to roll. Pick: Tampa Bay

Mr. Normand again follows my line of thinking as he expects the Bucs to beat up the Jags.

Kevin comes up with something that needs no introduction, "Have you seen this Gray guy pass the ball?? This game might be a Classic Browns score of 9-3. What's worse is I'm picking the former Brown, Jeff Garcia, to win the game. Is the world really ending?? Are the Browns 3-3?? Do I have any pants on??" For the second time this week, yes, these are my friends.

JAX: Sara, Devin
TB: Luke, Kevin, Mr. Normand, Bart, Barnes

New Orleans (-3) @ San Francisco

The Saints have covered just one game this season, but it happened on the road. Probably had something to do with last years team not having a home. Pick: New Orleans

Mr. Normand cries for the Saints to finally win one for him this year. Well in all actuality, Mr. Normand shares the best record for the Saints with a 3-3 mark. Go figure.

These comments Kevin comes up with just keep getting better, "Alex Smith is back, but is not the reason why I'm taking the 49ers. Earlier this week I learned that the Australian National Basketball League team that plays in Adelaide is the 36ers. Have I seen them play?? No. But as you can probably tell from the Ballbuster Pick and Maxine Hunt pick, I don't put a whole lot of 'knowledge' into my choices." Yet he is in fourth place.

NO: Luke, Sara, Devin, Mr. Normand, Barnes
SF: Kevin, Bart

Washington @ New England (-16)

The Patriots are 7-0 on the season and 7-0 ATS. No one seems to think they can go 16-0 on both, but if there was one coach who wanted to stick it to everyone AND had the players to do it, it's Bill Belichick. To my surprise, I'm the only one to pick New England each week. Everyone else has picked against them at least twice. Thank you very much. Pick: New England

Mr. Normand says that he has been burned so far taking the points against the Patriots. He is 100% correct. Mr. Normand is 2-5 picking New England games. That hurts.

Kevin reminds us of a New England game a couple weeks ago, "Remember what happened when the Pats played the Cowboys, who supposedly had a great defense and would give New England fits?? A couple of good cornerbacks will not stop this team. My prediction for the score: NE 45, WASH 21."

WAS: Sara
NE: Luke, Devin, Kevin, Mr. Normand, Bart, Barnes

Green Bay @ Denver (-3)

I don't know why, but I'm taking the Broncos. I guess I just don't think the Packers are well deserving of their 5-1 record. We'll see. Pick: Denver

Mr. Normand speaks for every Browns fan when he thanks the Broncos for beating the Steelers last week.

Kevin, which is the only person to have a winning record on Green Bay's games (5-1) says, "The Pack is getting points, I love it. The only thing that could pull down Green Bay this week is Brett Favre throwing the ball into bad situations while trying to prove to everyone that he still has a ton of arm strength. Well, that and the fact that DeShawn Wynn needs to show up in the Packers' running game. I just hope Favre throws nine interceptions and still wins, it would be classic."

GB: Kevin, Bart
DEN: Luke, Sara, Devin, Mr. Normand, Barnes

That's it for this week. Grothaus failed to get his picks in which causes some concern. Apparently no one has seen or heard from Grothaus since the Indians collapse. Go figure.

Bart does not have any thoughts for the week although I do know that he dressed up as Nacho Libre for Halloween. Fitting indeed.

Kevin however does have a message for Bart, "We are probably the worst two people at picking the 'Boring Game of the Week.' Mine ended up being a high scoring affair and his (Bengals-Jets) actually came down to the fourth quarter as well. We should just stop, it would do us a world of good." Gotta love it.

Allright, best of luck to everyone and GO BROWNS!!

Until next time, "read it, roll it, hole it."

No comments: