Sunday, December 11, 2011

KOA's 100 Films: 2

By: Luke Florence
All along I've been listing MY favorite movies without regard for anyone's opinions. The films have been ones that I've enjoyed and could care less whether or not anyone out there agreed with me or not. That mindset kind of changes as we hit my #2 favorite movie of all-time.

This film is one that I consider to be the greatest movie ever made. It's not my #1 movie because of certain personal reasons, but it is without question a piece of art that deserves all of the recognition it has received since it's release nearly two decades ago. What's sad is that it took the world nearly two years after it's opening weekend at the box office to realize how good it was. This film that many regard as the best ever, flopped horribly at the box office and initially didn't make enough money to simply cover production.

And look at it now.


Director: Frank Darabont
Starring: Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman and Bob Gunton
Academy Awards: Nominated seven times (including Best Picture, Best Actor/M.Freeman, Best Writing, Best Cinematography, Best Music, Best Sound and Best Film Editing).
Plot: "Two imprisoned men bond over a number of years, finding solace and eventual redemption through acts of common decency."
Stock: Holding

"Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

As far as I know, Ted Turner and my mother never met, but they are both equally responsible for getting my attention with The Shawshank Redemption. My mom had mentioned that it was a pretty good movie and Ted Turner thought enough of it that he put it on TNT three times a week for nearly a decade.

It's one of those unique films that gets better every time you watch it.

THE PLOT

The Shawshank Redemption begins with the conviction and sentencing of Andy Dufresne (Tim Robbins) for the murder of his wife and her lover. Dufresne is required to serve two life sentences at Shawshank prison. Once Andy is on the inside he begins to develop a friendship with Red (Morgan Freeman), another inmate.

In prison Andy makes the best of it as he develops a library, helps the warden launder money, fills tax-returns for the guards, and helps other inmates obtain their GED's. Though to get the idea that prison-life was nothing but pleasantries for Andy would be false, he had plenty of battles to fight as well.

I won't spoil the ending of the movie for the few of you out there who haven't seen it, but in typical Stephen King fashion (he wrote a short-story that Shawshank used to develop their script), there is a big reveal at the end which serves as the climax for the movie.

MY REACTION

While I certainly don't remember the first time I watched The Shawshank Redemption, I do recall thinking how awesome the ending was and how I didn't see it coming at all. As I've grown older I find myself taking more important things away from this film than just an "awesome ending."

First and foremost there is the bond that Andy and Red share. It starts as mere acquaintances, slowly turns into a friendship, and then ultimately they become best friends. As I look over my list I'm saddened by how few "best-friends" movies are on it, but Shawshank helps ease that sadness.

Then there is the superb acting by Tim Robbins (never thought I'd say that sentence) and of course by Morgan Freeman. Even though Andy is the main character/focus of the film, the story is told through Red's perspective. Morgan Freeman even narrates the entire movie, something he seemingly does in just about every movie he is in now-a-days. How Morgan Freeman did not take home the Oscar for Best Actor is beyond me. I think the Academy would like a do-over on that one. (I know Tom Hanks ended up winning for Forrest Gump, but Freeman was just as good and starred in a much better movie)

What I love most about The Shawshank Redemption is the story. That should come as no surprise considering Stephen King's involvement, but almost always the book is better than the movie. Well I've read King's book and while I did enjoy it, this time around, the movie is actually better.

Shawshank is chalk-full of messages of hope, redemption and perseverance. There are lots of universal themes found in this film, and each time you watch it you will take something different away from it. It's a legendary movie and one that I try to watch at least once or twice a year.


WHY TOP FIVE?

There's nothing not to like about The Shawshank Redemption. It has great acting, well developed characters, penetrating and resounding music, outstanding cinematography, and has a satisfying and suspenseful ending. What's not to love? It's a perfect film. There's a reason IMDB has it as the #1 movie of all-time.

And yet it didn't win any Oscars despite it's seven nominations, and it absolutely bombed at the theatre. How did that happen?

Well, it has a confusing name for one. If you knew nothing about the film you would read the title and probably scratch your head and then pronounce it incorrectly. Bill Simmons, who is a huge Shawshank fan, thinks that it is the all-time worst movie title ever, and it's hard to argue with him.

Secondly, The Shawshank Redemption came out during the same year as Forrest Gump, which absolutely blew everyone away and swept most of the major Oscar categories. I'm not taking anything away from Forrest Gump as I completely understand why a lot of people hold it in reverence, but there's no doubt in my mind if the Academy were to re-cast their votes right now, The Shawshank Redemption would have certainly won Best Picture if not a couple more. But as they say, hindsight is always 20/20.

Like I said in the intro, The Shawshank Redemption is the best movie ever made and came very close to being my favorite film as well. But just like how Andre Agassi was my #2 all-time athlete, I don't ever see either one of them moving from that spot, and I certainly don't view them as runner-ups to anything.


MEMORABLE QUOTES

Andy Dufresne: You know what the Mexicans say about the Pacific?
Red: No.
Andy Dufresne: They say it has no memory. That's where I want to live the rest of my life. A warm place with no memory.

"There's not a day goes by I don't feel regret. Not because I'm in here, or because you think I should. I look back on the way I was then: a young, stupid kid who committed that terrible crime. I want to talk to him. I want to try and talk some sense to him, tell him the way things are. But I can't. That kid's long gone and this old man is all that's left. I got to live with that. Rehabilitated? It's just a bullshit word. So you go on and stamp your form, sonny, and stop wasting my time. Because to tell you the truth, I don't give a shit." - Red.

"How can you be so obtuse?" - Andy.

"Son, six wardens have been through here in my tenure, and I've learned one immutable, universal truth: Not one of them born whose asshole wouldn't pucker up tighter than a snare drum when you ask them for funds." - Brooks.

"I must admit I didn't think much of Andy first time I laid eyes on him; looked like a stiff breeze would blow him over. That was my first impression of the man." - Red (narrating).

"I believe in two things: discipline and the Bible. Here you'll receive both. Put your trust in the Lord; your ass belongs to me. Welcome to Shawshank." - Warden Norton.

"Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane." - Red.

"The first night's the toughest, no doubt about it. They march you in naked as the day you were born, skin burning and half blind from that delousing shit they throw on you, and when they put you in that cell... and those bars slam home... that's when you know it's for real. A whole life blown away in the blink of an eye. Nothing left but all the time in the world to think about it." - Red (narrating).

"I have no idea to this day what those two Italian ladies were singing about. Truth is, I don't want to know. Some things are best left unsaid. I'd like to think they were singing about something so beautiful, it can't be expressed in words, and makes your heart ache because of it. I tell you, those voices soared higher and farther than anybody in a gray place dares to dream. It was like some beautiful bird flapped into our drab little cage and made those walls dissolve away, and for the briefest of moments, every last man in Shawshank felt free." - Red (narrating).

"I understand you're a man who knows how to get things." - Andy.

"Bad luck, I guess. It floats around. It's got to land on somebody. It was my turn, that's all. I was in the path of the tornado. I just didn't expect the storm would last as long as it has." - Andy.

"Get busy living, or get busy dying." - Andy.


Well and just like that we are down to my final film. What an incredible journey. Thank you all for going on this ride with me.

Until next time, "read it, roll it, hole it."

No comments: