Tuesday, December 13, 2011

KOA's 100 Films: By The Numbers (Part Two)

By: Luke Florence
Now that you know what my favorite 100 movies are I thought it would be nice to showcase some statistics. Who is my favorite director? What about my favorite actor/actress? Do I favor dramas or comedies? What year had the most films represented on my list? How many Oscars did these films win?

What follows are answers to all of the questions and much more.


0 - Movies starring John Travolta.

0 - Movies starring Meryl Streep.

1 - Movies starring Bugs Bunny.

1 - Movies starring Phillip Seymour Hoffman.
I found this number to be staggering considering I regard him as one of my favorite actors. However I scrolled through his IMDB page just to make sure I didn't miss anything glaring ... and I didn't. One of those rare oddities I suppose.

5 - Movies produced before I was born (1985).

0 - Movies produced on the year I was born (1985).

Despite the fact that my birth year didn't contribute one single film to this list it should be noted that every year following had at least one movie present (1986-2010). Maybe it's just me, but I found that fact slightly remarkable.

62 - Number of dramatic films.

38 - Number of comedic films.

23 - Number of movies I own from the list.

31 - Movies with a "stock UP" rating.

33 - Movies with a "stock DOWN" rating.

37 - Movies currently "holding" their stock.

TOP YEARS

1) 2000 - Eight films.
2) 2006, 2008 - Seven films.

4) 1996, 2001, 2009 - Six films.

7) 1993, 2003, 2004 - Five films.

11 - Movies from the 1980s.

32 - Movies from the 1990s.

52 - Movies from the 2000s.

OSCARS
70 - Total Oscars won (35 from the bottom half of my list, and 35 from the top half).

244 - Total Oscar nominations (107 from the bottom half, and 137 from the top).

5 - Most Oscars won by one movie (Gladiator was the only movie in the top half, and it joins American Beauty, Silence of The Lambs and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest).

13 - Most Oscar nominations by one picture (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button).

7 - Best Pictures won (Gladiator and Rain Man join A Beautiful Mind, The Departed, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, American Beauty and Silence of The Lambs).

22 - Best Pictures nominated.

5 - Best Director wins (Barry Levinson/Rain Man join J. Demme/Silence, M. Forman/Cuckoo's, M. Scorsese/Departed and R. Howard/Beautiful Mind).

16 - Best Director nominations.

13 - Best Actor wins (Sean Penn/Mystic River, Denzel Washington/Training Day, Jeff Bridges/Crazy Heart, Dustin Hoffman/Rain Main, Russell Crowe/Gladiator and Jack Nicholson/As Good As It Gets join A. Hopkins/Silence, K. Spacey/American Beauty, J. Nicholson/Cuckoo's, G. Peck/Mockingbird, S. Penn/Milk and T. Hanks/Philadelphia)

2 - Repeat Best Actors Wins (Sean Penn and Jack Nicholson).
28 - Best Actor nominations.

4 - Best Actress wins (Helen Hunt/As Good As It Gets join J. Foster/Silence, R. Witherspoon/WTL and L. Fletcher/Cuckoo's).

6 - Best Actress nominations.

5 - Supporting Actor wins (Tim Robbins/Mystic River, Robin Williams/Good Will Hunting, Heath Ledger/The Dark Knight and Alan Arkin/Little Miss Sunshine join Christian Bale/The Fighter).

18 - Supporting Actor nominations.

2 - Supporting Actress wins (None in the top half join J. Connelly/Beautiful Mind and M. Leo/Fighter).

11 - Best Writing wins (Dead Poet's Society, Rain Man, Good Will Hunting and Little Miss Sunshine join Milk, A Beautiful Mind, The Departed, To Kill A Mockingbird, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, American Beauty and Silence of the Lambs).

27 - Best Writing nominations.

FAVORITE ACTORS/ACTRESSES/DIRECTORS

I tweaked the system a little bit to include .25 points for an Oscar nomination, another .25 points for an Oscar win, and .25 points for an appearance in my top-ten. The following are the results under that scoring premise.

DIRECTOR

1) Christopher Nolan - 3.25
1) Clint Eastwood - 3.25
3) John Hughes - 3.00
4) Jonathan Demme - 2.50
4) Peter Weir - 2.50
4) Ron Howard - 2.50
This time around the numbers don't lie, specifically at the top. Nolan and Eastwood are without question two of my favorite directors with a slight nod in Nolan's favor.

ACTRESS

1) Helen Hunt - 3.75
1) Jodie Foster - 3.75
3) Jennifer Connelly - 3.50
4) Toni Collette - 2.50
5) Keira Knightley - 2.25
5) Maggie Gyllenhaal - 2.25
Honestly, I had no idea how this race was going to shake out, but once again the numbers speak the truth. Hunt and Foster are two of my favorite actresses and both deserve to be up at the top. The one that really surprised me is Jennifer Connelly, as prior to making this list probably couldn't name a single movie she was in. Now I find myself searching for films she stars in.

ACTOR

1) Tom Hanks - 5.75
2) Leonardo DiCaprio - 4.75
3) Denzel Washington - 4.50
3) Kevin Spacey - 4.50
5) Jack Nicholson - 4.25
5) Johnny Depp - 4.25
5) Matt Damon - 4.25
5) Sean Penn - 4.25
9) Russell Crowe - 4.00
10) Joaquin Phoenix - 3.75
10) Morgan Freeman - 3.75
10) Robin Williams - 3.75
13) Jeff Bridges - 3.50
13) Will Smith - 3.50
15) Brad Pitt - 3.25
15) Ed Harris - 3.25
15) John Candy - 3.25
15) Steve Carell - 3.25
19) Will Ferrell - 3.00
20) Greg Kinnear - 2.75
20) Tim Robbins - 2.75
Congrats to Tom Hanks for earning the top spot. He was the only actor who appeared in five different films which by itself would have been enough to be the king of this lofty mountain. However, something tells me that at this time next year he won't be sitting there when I recalculate these figures. Odds on favorite for 2012 leader has to be Leonardo DiCaprio. Only time will tell.

Well folks, that will do it for By The Numbers. Will be back on Thursday to put up my favorite twenty trailers from my list. Peace be the journey.

Until next time, "read it, roll it, hole it."

No comments: