Wednesday, August 29, 2012

KOA's 50 Favorite TV Shows: 45-41

Five shows in, forty-five more to go.  In this batch we find another Nickelodeon classic, a pair of comedic sketch-shows, a news program, and our first game-show.  Three of these shows have been on the air since 1975 and have combined to win a plethora of awards.  Let's keep the ball rolling boys and girls. 


#45: Hey Dude (1989-1991)


Episodes: 65 (over five seasons)
Starring: David Brisbin, Debrah Kalman and Christine Taylor
Plot: "The antics of a colorful group working at the Bar None, a dude ranch. It is owned by Mr. Ernst, a sometimes-too-enthusiastic, but well meaning boss."
Channel: Nickelodeon
Stock: Holding

One of the first crushes I had in my life was on Christine Taylor's character, Melody.  I was absolutely in love with her.  For that reason, and that reason alone, Hey Dude earns a spot on this list.

Hey Dude is one of my all-time favorite Nickelodeon shows.  In fact, only two other "Nick" programs top it.  Besides featuring Melody's natural beauty, Hey Dude was a one-of-a-kind show.  It was funny, often touched on semi-serious issues, was set on Bar-None Ranch, and featured a Native American as one of the main characters.  Hey, for a white seven-year-old boy from Tiffin, OH, this was pretty cool.

Just like Ghostwriter, I haven't seen an episode of Hey Dude in more than a decade.  But I do remember it being one of the first television shows I loved to watch.  Combine that with Christine Taylor sending me into puberty, and we have ourselves a winner. 

#44: Chappelle's Show (2003-2006)


Episodes: 28 (over three seasons)
Starring: Dave Chappelle, Charles Murphy and Paul Mooney
Emmys: Nominated three times (Outstanding Comedy, Outstanding Comedy Writing, and Outstanding Comedy Directing, 2004).
Plot: "Comedian Dave Chappelle hosts this sketch-comedy show that parodies many of the nuances of race and culture."
Channel: Comedy Central
Stock: Holding

If only Dave Chappelle hadn't left for Africa.  If only he would have stuck around and pumped out more episodes.  If only we would have seen more of Tyrone Biggums.  If only Clayton Bigsby would have made a return appearance.  If only we could have seen a couple more encounters between Rick James and Charlie Murphy.

Much like Joe Paterno will forever be remembered as the coach who let kids get molested on his watch, Dave Chappelle, despite all the great skits he did, will be remembered as the guy who left Chappelle's Show way too soon.

It would be impossible for me to sit here and recollect all of my favorite skits from the shortened 28 episode series.  What should be noted is how quickly Dave Chappelle was transformed from a great stand-up comedian into an entertainment icon.  Chappelle's Show was an overwhelming success mainly due to Chappelle's edgy comedy.  He would constantly push the boundary and it made him a very rich man.

Unfortunately, when Comedy Central gave Chappelle a boat-load of money to produce more episodes, he buckled under the pressure and called it quits.  Even though it lasted three seasons you still get a sense that a lot was left on the table.

"White people love Wayne Brady, because Wayne Brady makes Bryant Gumbel look like Malcolm X."

#43: Wheel of Fortune (1975-Present)


Episodes: More than 5,000 (over thirty-seven seasons)
Starring: Pat Sajak, Vanna White and Charlie O'Donnell
Emmys: Nominated once (Outstanding Variety Art Direction, 1994).
Plot: "Pat Sajak hosts this game show, where contestants guess letters in mystery words and phrases."
Channel: CBS/NBC/Syndicated
Stock: Up

Spin a wheel, guess a letter, solve a puzzle.  It's a pretty simple concept and yet it's one of the longest running television shows in history.  Only in America.

Growing up, I was never the biggest fan of Wheel of Fortune.  Always considered myself a Jeopardy person.  That sentiment changed starting my freshman year of college when Matt Barnes showed me how much fun Wheel of Fortune could be.

Passion is contagious, and Barnes is certainly passionate about Wheel of Fortune.  Our freshman year, we would watch it every day spring quarter after dinner (along with Jeopardy and the Cleveland Indians).  What amazed me was how quickly Barnes could solve puzzles.  We were both staring at the same board, but it was as if he was playing a completely different game.  Months later I would find out my mother also possessed this very same trait, which led to her begging me to set-up a match between her and Barnes.  Needless to say, it hasn't happened yet.

After watching it on a more regular basis the past several years I have improved my Wheel of Fortune playing skills, although I'm a long ways from the likes of Matt Barnes and my mom. 

#42: 60 Minutes (1968-Present)


Episodes: 1,058 (over forty-three seasons)
Starring: Lesley Stahl, Morley Safer and Steve Kroft
Emmys (1): Won Outstanding Achievement in Broadcast Journalism (1977).
Golden Globes (1): Won Best Dramatic TV Series (1979).
Plot: "The premiere television News magazine."
Channel: CBS
Stock: Up

Growing up, 60 Minutes was the show that signaled the NFL games were over for the day and school would soon be starting in the morning.  In other words, I used to dread 60 Minutes.  That started to change when I actually took the time to watch it.

60 Minutes is the epitome of news programming.  It's always highly informative, always current, and it's always entertaining.  Their stories range from investigative pieces, to celebrity profiles, and those of general human interest.  Turn on your local news channel tonight and see how difficult that tri-fecta is to achieve.   


My favorite segment (before he passed away) was the two-minute Andy Rooney clip at the end of the show.  Andy would sit at his desk and ask questions about the world.  Whether they were very simple topics or quite complex ones, Andy would tackle them with the same level of enthusiasm and rigorousness.  Sure he said some dumb things from time-to-time and no, I didn't agree with everything he said, but I loved that he asked the question.

Which comes back to why I really enjoy 60 Minutes and try to watch it every week ... they ask the question.

#41: Saturday Night Live (1975-Present)


Episodes: 724 (over thirty-seven seasons)
Starring: Will Ferrell, Adam Sandler and Bill Murray
Emmys (32): Too many to list.  Nominated 168 times. 
Plot: "The classic late night live sketch comedy show."
Channel: NBC
Stock: Down

There's never been a show that has adapted and changed as much as Saturday Night Live has over the years.  It's been on air for nearly four decades, has cycled through countless numbers of comedians/actors/producers, and has remained a microcosm for American culture.  It's no easy task, and it's one of the big reasons SNL finds a spot on this list.  

When I was growing up I thought SNL was one of the funniest shows on television.  Adam Sandler, Chris Farley and Chris Rock were creating memorable characters and sketches that had me rolling on the floor in laughter.  Soon after they left for the big screen (or altogether in Farley's case, RIP), the show dropped in stature, despite the hilarious efforts of Will Ferrell.  It wasn't nearly as funny, wasn't nearly as relevant, and had me scratching my head in confusion.  

Recently the show has bounced back a bit, thanks in large parts to their digital shorts, and their ability to once again find the comedic pulse of a nation.  It's not a show I have to watch, or a show I'm upset if I miss, but it's a show that's been on for literally my entire life and a show that has provided me more than enough laughs to justify its' placement.  

I owe it that much for Celebrity Jeopardy.  

"Suck it Trebek."

I've lost track of where we are supposed to be by now, so we will just keep on rolling along, hopefully on a more consistent basis.  I do have a special 30 for 30 coming up later this week so keep an eye out for that as I list thirty things I hope to accomplish before turning the big 3-0. 

Until next time, "read it, roll it, hole it."

- Luke Florence

No comments: