Wednesday, October 08, 2008

My Father's Idol: The Bearded Wonder

***UPDATE*** - Surprise, surprise, I'm running a tad behind this weekend. Not going to lie, I just woke up from a solid 23rd B-Day outing, so here are my picks, and the post will be up later today. CHI, HOU, IND, MIN, NO, NYJ, CAR, WAS, JAX, DAL, PHI, GB, SD, NYG

I found a great video of Casey Blake, and felt the desire to share it with everyone.

My father has been a huge Casey Blake fan ever since I started ragging on Blake three or four years ago when he was with the Cleveland Indians. That's just how he operates. It's the same reason my Dad was tremendously disappointed that Woody Austin missed out on the Ryder Cup. I hate a guy, my Dad in turn, loves him.

It's why my Dad ALWAYS roots for the guy facing Tiger Woods down the stretch. At first I was a little perturbed because I thought he was just giving me a hard time, but I soon realized that it was simply my father making things interesting, making things competitive. It would be boring to sit there and simply watch Tiger win, or Blake strike-out. But, when you have that rooting interest, it becomes much more enjoyable. And for that, I thank him.

It's strange, now that Blake is playing for the Dodgers I find myself rooting for him. I'm not sure how that happened. If he would somehow win the World Series MVP, well, I think that would make my father happier than if the Tribe actually won it all. I guess I'm rooting for that, but in essence, it comes down to me rooting for Blake.

If my 21-year-old self would hear me saying these things, he would kick my ass.

How dare the interviewer make a reference to Casey Blake being in the twilight of his career. That is absurd and it looked like Blake was about ready to punch him straight in the babymaker.

Dodgers and Phillies get underway later tonight.

I've been rooting for a Dodgers-Rays World Series since July, and we are getting dangerously close to getting my wish.

2 comments:

Kevin Hunt said...

Mr. 0-2 will forever live on in my heart.

Five bucks says Cole Hamels makes Casey Blake look absolutely silly in the first AB of the game. That, or he plunks him, prompting a bearded stare down all the way up the line to first base.

If Mr. 0-2 gets to the World Series -- and God help us if he's part of the winning team AND would win the MVP -- he will pass up on so many greats who never made it there. Check out this link for a pretty good list... http://seamheads.com/blog/2008/06/07/can-griffey-avoid-his-place-in-history-the-greatest-players-to-never-play-in-the-world-series/

Of course, he wouldn't be the worst to make it to the World Series... right?

Andrew Reinhart said...

Do you have the results/comments from the last week. If you don't have time to provide comments, it would be alright with me if you just copied and pasted everything that we give you into a post.