Sunday, February 08, 2009

2009 Black History Month: Favorite Black TV Characters (#21)

By: Luke Florence

My Favorite Black TV Characters

#21 - February 8th - Black Smoke Monster - "LOST"
Did I go too far? Is this crossing the line? I'd answer both with a resounding "no." The Black Smoke Monster qualifies for this list because, 1) it is a character on a television show, and, 2) it is black. Whenever I compose lists, I like to throw in a wild-card, something nobody else would put on theirs. This is my first wild-card for Black History Month, and I couldn't be prouder.

Before the smoke monster, LOST was just a show about a group of plane-wreck survivors on an island. The black smoke changed everything, forever. The very first episode of LOST ended with the introduction of the smoke monster, although we didn't see it until the third season. Upon it's arrival, it became the biggest mystery of an overly mysterious show. To this day, more than four seasons in, we still do not know too much about it, and probably won't until the end. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Why put the black smoke monster on my list? Well, for starters, LOST is my all-time favorite television show, so it only makes sense it has at least one character represented. Secondly, it is not your typical run-of-the-mill monster. Yes, it has killed people in the past, three to date thus far, but it also seems to track down people and take some sort of memory-picture. It's not just a killer. Lastly, as I mentioned previously, it is the biggest on-going mystery of LOST. We learn a little bit more about each season, which only causes my interest in it to grow each season as well.

What do I think this monster is? To be completely honest, I have absolutely no idea. My best guess is that it serves as some sort of "course-correction," for the island. Rousseau has called it "a security system," that protects the island, and the producers have said that is an accurate description ... to a point. In season four it appeared as if Ben had some control of the monster, but I'm not so sure. I'm still a believer of the monster and Jacob being tied together in some fashion.

We have yet to see the black smoke monster in season five, but the producers have promised we will, perhaps quite soon. It has always been my theory that towards the very end of the show, we will see the black smoke monster destroyed by the Losties. Its' death will signify the end of LOST. Just a thought, and a pretty damn cool one too I must add.

Maybe Barnes will hate this pick because it is not a prototypical black character. But, I hope not. I hope he sees the relevance of having arguably the most important character of LOST on this list. Make sure you check out his blog (over on my sidebar) to see what he says on this controversial selection.

Real quick, if you are a LOST fan (and even if you aren't), take some time and check out those two videos. They provide a good look into the black smoke monster. Those two YouTube artists (is that the correct terminology?) pump out the best LOST videos on the net. Enjoy.

Hint for #20: This character had no brothers, but four sisters.

Until tomorrow, "read it, roll it, hole it."

No comments: