Friday, February 13, 2009

2009 Black History Month: Favorite Black TV Characters (#16)

By: Luke Florence

My Favorite Black TV Characters

#16 - February 13th - Chef - "South Park"
Every once in a while a show comes along that changes the status quo. Enter South Park. As Joker told Batman, "you've changed things ... forever," South Park, at least for me, changed the concept of what a great television show was. A few months ago, Barnes and I compiled our favorite TV shows. My list had shows such as Family Guy, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, and Arrested Development. But, it also had Doug, The Wonder Years, and Are You Afraid of the Dark? As you can see, there is an obvious discrepency between the genres of those shows. South Park served as the proverbial bridge between the shows I enjoyed when I was a young kid, and the shows I enjoy now when I simply act like a young kid.

South Park started in 1997 just as I was entering 7th grade. It quickly became the cool thing during Junior High to quote the previous episode of South Park. Well, at least when we could fit them in between our DX "Suck-It" references. The point being we were young, easily influenced, and in love with South Park. It only makes sense that Chef would make an appearance here.

Chef was arguably the smartest adult helping out the four South Park youngsters (Eric, Kenny, Stan, and Kyle). He cooked them their lunches, but more importantly, he guided them through awkward situations in his own unique style, which typically involved singing. Why does a cartoon chef sing? Well because he was voiced by the late - and great - Issac Hayes. For the early seasons of South Park, his voice would be my first association with this hilarious animated show.

Most of the problems that came to Chef's attention surrounded sexuality, which can be a tricky subject for most adults. However, Chef's ability to always keep a jolly attitude and his willingness to break into song erased any uneasiness floating around the theme of the show.


One of the most popular songs that Chef belted during his tenure was "Chocolate Salty Balls (P.S. I Love You)." If we went through a whole day during 8th grade at St. Mary's without mentioning this song, it would have been a miracle or a snow day. The song, which reached #1 overseas (United Kingdom) always brings back a few junior high memories.

South Park has been able to rebound almost flawlessly from losing Chef in 2006, mainly because the writers are absolute geniuses, and have an uncanny knack of keeping the show fresh. But make no mistake, Chef was an intricate part of the show's early days, and will always be a favorite of mine.

Okay, enough from me. Now is a good time for you to head over to Barnes' blog (located over on my sidebar) to read his take on today's pick. Always a good read over there.

Real quick side-note: Barnes, since this is February, I am withholding a South Park video that is one of my all-time favorites. But, first thing March, I'm posting it. Just letting you know.

Hint for #15: This character is big ... really big.

Until tomorrow, "read it, roll it, hole it."

No comments: