Tuesday, February 15, 2011

2011 Black History Month: #19 Black Actor Performance

By: Luke Florence

2011 Black History Month: #19 Black Actor Performance

Samuel L. Jackson as "Jules Winnfield" in "Pulp Fiction"


It's an oddity to say that the first two rated-R movies I ever watched were both at my grandparent's house, but it's true. The Fugitive was first, followed quickly by Pulp Fiction. My aunt (who shall remain nameless) watched both movies with me at Grandma's house told me to tell my parents that I watched something PG, like The Lion King. Who knew that more than 15 years later I would be chronicling that conversation in a list dedicated to black history month.

I've only watched Pulp Fiction twice, but after the first time I can remember thinking how cool Samuel L. Jackson's hair/facial hair looked. It was the #1 thing I took away. Obviously watching Pulp Fiction as a ten-year-old and then again as an 18-year-old will provoke different reactions, but the constant thought was centered around Samuel L. Jackson, and how great he was in this performance.


Jackson plays hitman Jules Winnfield in this Tarantino classic. His partner is John Travolta, and the two have incredible chemistry. But, Winnfield is more than your stereotypical mobster. He is thoughtful, deep and also burdened by his job. After suffering a near-death experience, he decides to change his ways for good.

We all think of Samuel L. Jackson as the loud dude who screams a ton and gets in people face's all the time. Well, Jackson does that here, but he shows a broader range than he usually gets the chance to showcase in the majority of his roles. There should be no surprise that this performance was his only Oscar nomination, because it appears to be the only time he is asked to be a complex character in my short memory.


Pulp Fiction revitalized John Travolta's career, propelled Quinton Tarantino to new heights and landed Samuel L. Jackson his only Oscar bid. Not too bad for a movie that scared the living crap out of me when I watched it as a little ten-year-old at Grandmas.


Memorable Quotes

"Hamburgers! The cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast. What kind of hamburgers?" - Jules Winnfield

"Whether or not what we experienced was an According to Hoyle miracle is insignificant. What is significant is that I felt the touch of God. God got involved." - Jules Winnfield

"Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?" - Jules Winnfield

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy My brothers. And you will know My name is the Lord when I lay My vengeance upon thee." - Jules Winnfield

"Do you know what they call a Quarter Pounder with cheese in France?" - Jules Winnfield

"You know, walk the earth, meet people... get into adventures. Like Caine from 'Kung Fu.'" - Jules Winnfield

Hint for #18: This movie is named after a U.S. city that I have never been to, even though the state it resides in borders Ohio.

Until next time, "read it, roll it, hole it."

No comments: