Monday, February 14, 2011

2011 Black History Month: #20 Black Actor Performance

By: Luke Florence

2011 Black History Month: #20 Black Actor Performance

James Earl Jones as "Darth Vader" in "Star Wars"


"Luke, I am your father."

Young and old. Rich and poor. Black and white. Fat and thin. Every kind of person that is out there has uttered that phrase to me. Growing up it immediately confused me, but once I understood the origins, it started to annoy me. Eventually I learned to embrace it. Now here I am glorifying it. Life is strange.

As you have probably gathered by now, the black/white relationship plays a huge part in these Black History Month lists. And to be honest, I'm not sure there is a bigger black/white dynamic than the one found in Star Wars. There is the whole dark side. Darth Vader is always in black, while Luke Skywalker is normally in white. Add in James Earl Jones' voice for a character who is white, and my head is ready to explode, as I'm sure Barnes' is too.


Honestly though, it would be difficult to tell the story of great black actors without including a chapter for James Earl Jones. He was nominated for a 1970 Best Actor Oscar for his performance in The Great White Hope (another black/white reference!), and it takes three days to scroll through his resume on IMDB. He was solid in A Field of Dreams and I enjoyed his Coming To America work as well. But it is, and always will be, his voice that resonates with most of us.


It's deep, powerful, and grabs your attention. It was the perfect voice for Darth Vader and is a big reason he is considered one of the best villains of all-time. When you think of Darth Vader, the first thing you think of is his voice. Also, I would be remiss to not mention The Lion King somewhere on this list as well. And wouldn't you know, Earl Jones is the voice of Mufasa, which I know will make Matt Barnes smile that big wide smile we all know and love.

So James Earl Jones gets on here for two reasons ... one he is a black actor, and two, his voice was for the blackest of all villains, Darth Vader. This is what I do.  You're welcome.  


Memorable Quotes

"Impressive. Most impressive. Obi-Wan has taught you well. You have controlled your fear. Now, release your anger. Only your hatred can destroy me." - Darth Vader

"The force is with you, young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet." - Darth Vader

"I've been waiting for you, Obi-wan. We meet again at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner. Now I am the master." - Darth Vader

"The force is strong with this one." - Darth Vader

Hint for #19: He's loud and is all about hamburgers. Big hint ... you always include his middle initial when you talk about him.

Until next time, "read it, roll it, hole it."

No comments: