Thursday, February 03, 2011

2011 Black History Month: #25 Black Actor Performance

By: Luke Florence

2011 Black History Month: #25 Black Actor Performance

Lauryn Hill as "Rita Louise Watson" in "Sister Act II"


It only took three years, but we finally have a female represented on my Black History Month list.  Who would have guessed it would be Lauryn Hill?  Well, twenty years from now when Jeopardy puts up the answer, "This is the first female to appear on the King of Arguments BHM list," you all will know the question.

List-making is a process that I've developed over the years.  Once a topic has been established a series of steps follows to ensure a proper list is in order.  1) Brainstorm: come up with as many potential candidates as you can, without research.  2) Research.  3) Make your first cuts, but don't bother putting them in order.  4) Put them in order.  5) Do last minute research to make sure you didn't forget anything.  6) Finalize order a second time.

Lauryn Hill entered this list thanks to #5 ... and Matt Barnes.  I knew Barnes wanted a female on this list, and so did I.  It bothered me I didn't have any female black TV characters, and to a certain extent that I didn't have any female black sporting moments.  Therefore I tried to make a conscious effort to include at least one female on this list.  But in keeping with the integrity of this BHM list, I didn't want to force it.  (That's what she said)


I'm not forcing Lauryn Hill on this list by any means.  I'm always trying to think outside the box when I create a list, and I don't think too many of you would have put Hill anywhere near this list.  That being said, I fell in love with Lauryn when I first saw her on Sister Act II as Rita Louise Watson, and that memory will stay with me forever.

I was eight years old when Sister Act II came out and I can distinctly remember walking out of the movie theater with a huge crush on Lauryn Hill.  She was gorgeous in that girl next door kind of way.  She didn't need to wear a bunch of makeup, or wear sexy outfits to get guys' attention.  She was naturally beautiful and had the voice of an angel.  To this day, I don't think I've heard such a sweet voice.  Sister Act II was her coming out party, and I was head-over-heels for her.


Lauryn is more well-known for her time spent with the Fugees, and their song "Killing Me Softly" vaulted Hill into the mainstream.  Her 1998 debut solo album, The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill picked up five Grammys, including Album of the Year.   Ever since she has stayed away from the spotlight, although there are rumors she is planning on a follow-up album, 13 years after her award winning debut. 


As for her acting, she really didn't have to be too far out of her element, which helped tremendously.  She played Rita Watson, an inner-city high-school student who had developed an attitude for authority.  She also had a struggling relationship with her mother, who wanted Rita to pursue a safe career, while all Rita wanted to do was sing.  Now Hill wasn't (and didn't) going to win any awards for her portrayal of Rita Watson, but her performance was memorable and again, it's my list. 


Memorable Quotes

"We'll just call you Rita, Diva with a 'Tude." - Sister Mary Clarence

"Dear Mama, I went to the all-state music competition. I never meant to hurt you but I had to follow my heart. Please forgive me. I love you, Rita." - Florence Watson [reading Rita's letter]

"If you wake up in the morning, and you can't think of anything but singing, then you should be a singer, girl." - Sister Mary Clarence

Hint for #24: This actor has won an Academy Award for Best Actor, but that's not the role remembered here ... rather, it's for his work as a criminal in this early 2000s dramatic film.

Until next time, "read it, roll it, hole it."

No comments: