Thursday, July 21, 2011

KOA's 100 Films: Rapid Reaction To Barnes' 90-81

By: Luke Florence

We are two weeks in and neither Barnes nor myself has "fucked it up," yet. In Barnes' second unveiling he pounds out another cartoon flick, a drama about dinosaurs, and perhaps (and I never thought I'd say this) a worse selection than Jungle 2 Jungle.

Ladies and gentlemen, Matt Barnes.


Barnes #90: Mulan
HAVEN'T SEEN IT AND DON'T WANT TO

This is not the first time Barnes and I have attempted to rank our favorite movies. Our sophomore year, we, along with Kevin Hunt, each ranked our top 50 films. From there we combined our lists for a group 100. Mulan made that finalized list, thanks to a lofty ranking by Matt Barnes. Apparently it's dropped quite a bit since 2006, but it still cracks his personal top 100. Some things just don't change.

Barnes #89: 28 Days Later
HAVEN'T SEEN IT AND DON'T WANT TO

Didn't see this one coming at all. Not gonna lie, I've never heard of this movie so I can't' really comment on it, and I've never even heard Barnes talk about it, so I was a little surprised to see it above Mulan.

The premise sounds a lot like Stephen's King "The Stand," with everyone except a select few dead due to a viral infection. It seems that Barnes isn't sure why he likes it, and the trailer he posted doesn't really help either, so let's just keep moving.

Barnes #88: The Sandlot
SEEN IT AND LOVED IT

Love this movie and am glad it made Barnes' top 100. What's not to love?? For our generation this is a defining film, at least for our childhood. It brings us back to a simpler time when all we wanted to do was play baseball.

On a related note, my good friend Andy thought I looked like Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez. What do you think??

Barnes #87: Gladiator
SEEN IT AND LOVED IT

Barnes said that he has only seen this movie once, but it was good enough to be included. I'm fairly certain that after he watches it again it will continue to climb. It's too good to be this low.

Having said that, the trailer for Gladiator was unbelievably bad. How someone could take an epic movie and create a below-average trailer is beyond me.

Barnes #86: Hotel Rwanda
HAVEN'T SEEN IT AND WANT TO

Last February I ranked my favorite black actor performances. Two movies I wanted to watch before I made that list were The Last King of Scotland and Hotel Rwanda. Based on everything I've read and seen about it, Don Cheadle was well deserving of the Oscar nomination he received in 2005.

After we are done posting these lists I'm gonna sit down and watch this one, because it might just crack my top 100 (2nd edition).

Barnes #85: Dante's Peak
SEEN IT AND HATED IT

Let me start by saying Matt Barnes is an amazing guy. He has a way of just topping himself time and time again. He starts by putting Jungle 2 Jungle on his list, and then one-ups himself by putting Dante's Peak in his top 90. I have no idea how he will be able to continually put such bad movies in his list, but that's why Matt Barnes is amazing.

The only way Dante's Peak could have been worse is if it starred Pierce Brosnan. Oh wait.

Barnes #84: Hitch
SEEN IT AND LIKED IT

It's going to be interesting to see how many Will Smith movies make it on Barnes' list ... and mine for that matter. This is the first for either of us, but I'm sure it won't be the last.

Hitch is a nice movie, has some funny moments and includes Eva Mendes so there won't be a single complaint put up by me.

Barnes #83: Kicking and Screaming
SEEN IT AND OKAY'D IT

I've seen almost every Will Ferrell movie and I think Barnes has to, so I'm a little surprised this one showed up. Don't get me wrong, Kicking and Screaming is a funny movie, mainly because the premise is designed to set-up Will for hilarity.

Saw this movie with Jared Rosenberger and we walked away laughing, but not nearly in the same fashion one would expect from a Will Ferrell film. Mike Ditka is really good, but not one of my favorite Ferrell movies by any stretch of the imagination.

Barnes #82: Major Payne
SEEN IT AND LIKED IT

My brother and I don't have a lot in common, but one thing we both like is this movie. Every time it's on television we usually stop and watch a little bit of it. We find ourselves laughing at the same parts, time-and-time again, especially lines like, "If he's still in there, he ain't happy."

The trailer for Major Payne is really good as well. All in all, a solid selection for Barnes.

Barnes #81: Jurassic Park
SEEN IT AND LIKED IT

Jurassic Park was a phenomenon when it was released in 1993. It's right up there with Titanic and Avatar in terms of ground-breaking revelations in movie-making. I was blown away watching it, and actually had me claiming that Jeff Goldblum was my favorite actor. I've grown up a little since then.

Can't hate on Barnes too much for this pick, because he's right, it does have very good music and ridiculous special effects. But for me, it's a little dated and doesn't hold up well in the test of time.

Recap

Like Barnes' second set of movies more so than his first, even with the ridiculous inclusion of Dante's Peak.  Can't wait to see how it's all going to shake out.  Here is how I would rank these ten films.

1) Gladiator
2) The Sandlot
3) Hotel Rwanda
4) Major Payne
5) Hitch
6) Jurassic Park
7) Kicking and Screaming
8) Mulan
9) 28 Days Later
10) Dante's Peak

That's all she wrote for this week. Hoping to get a clips and quotes post out this weekend, but if not, check back on Monday for my next ten films.

Have a great weekend.

Until next time, "read it, roll it, hole it."

No comments: