Thursday, July 28, 2011

KOA's 100 Films: Rapid Reaction to Barnes' 80-71

By: Luke Florence

In the third week of our twenty week endeavor we saw Barnes include yet another animated film, a surprising rom-com selection, and a film about a white rapper. Giddy up folks.




Barnes #80: Ladybugs
SEEN IT AND OKAY'D IT

Going into this process I thought I would know most of the movies Barnes would be including. After three weeks I'm not doing nearly as well as I originally thought. Add Ladybugs to the list of movies I never saw coming.

Rodney Dangerfield is pretty funny (when isn't he?), but this film is not good ... it's actually pretty bad. Now I'm going to go easy on Barnes because it sounds like he watched this movie with his sister, and I previously mentioned sometimes the experience surrounding the film makes the movie special. Hopefully that's the case here.

Barnes #79: Heavyweights
SEEN IT AND OKAY'D IT

Chalk up another victory for Ben Stiller. He is quickly taking the lead in Barnes' favorite actor race. It's been a long time since I've seen this fat flick so I can't really say I remember too much of it.

But Judd Apatow did write the script so I'm sure it's quite clever. Wouldn't mind seeing this one again to refresh the memory, but still don't think it would come close to my top 100.

Barnes #78: Jerry Maguire
SEEN IT AND LOVED IT

Great selection by Barnes. Tom Cruise is fantastic as is Cuba Gooding Junior. Besides the acting, the script is really good as well.

Can't think of a single negative thing to say at all about this selection. And Barnes is right, that little kid is awesome. If you haven't seen it, you should.

Barnes #77: Shrek
SEEN IT AND LIKED IT

Don't know if anyone is keeping track of how many animated films Barnes has included but it seems like he posts at least one or two every week.

Unlike Mulan, I'm not going to complain too much about Shrek. It's decently funny and Mike Myers along with Eddie Murphy do an excellent job lending their voices. I'm really hoping Barnes can continue the streak of animated films for all 20 weeks. If anyone can do it ... it's Matt Barnes.

Barnes #76: Little Miss Sunshine
SEEN IT AND LOVED IT

Absolutely love this movie. Only wish it was a little higher on Barnes' list. Steve Carrell, Alan Arkin and Greg Kinnear are all hilarious in this film and there never seems to be a dull moment.

Might be the best pick for Barnes to date.

Barnes #75: 8 Mile
SEEN IT AND LOVED IT

Like I've said multiple times, I was nervous about forgetting a film after we started unveiling our lists. Well, 8 Mile just happened to slip my mind. Now like Barnes it wouldn't have been in my top 50, but it certainly could have cracked the top 100.

Eminem should try to act more because he is certainly better than Justin Timberlake. This movie has some memorable scenes and also includes quite possibly my favorite rap song, "Lose Yourself."

Barnes #74: Hook
SEEN IT AND OKAY'D IT

Now I'm not exactly sure where Hook ranked in Hunt, mine and Barnes joint list, but it might have been in the top 20. Don't get me wrong, Hook is a nice movie, but that's about it ... nice.

It just drags on though at certain points and didn't think Robin Williams was that funny as well. I'll usually watch a little of it if it's on television, but I never come back after the first commercial appears.

Barnes didn't seem too fond of Hook's trailer, but I enjoyed the fact they didn't show Neverland ... it almost builds some suspense and has you wanting to see more.

Barnes #73: One Fine Day
HAVEN'T SEEN IT AND DON'T WANT TO

Wow ... just wow. A romantic-comedy starring George Clooney. I am struggling to come up with the proper words to describe my bewilderment with this selection.

I've never heard of this movie, have no desire to see it, and after watching the trailer and reading Barnes' comments, I can honestly say I will NEVER watch it. It looks miserable. It makes Jungle 2 Jungle and Dante's Peak look good.

Barnes #72: Precious
HAVEN'T SEEN IT AND DON'T WANT TO

Don't know if I'll ever see this movie ... or really want to. Okay so there's a girl who has problems (who doesn't?). And she happens to be overweight (her and 75% of the population). Maybe I'm cynical and maybe I don't know nearly enough of the intricacies of the film (probably true), but I just don't see the appeal.

To make a long story short it seems way too predictable of a movie, but I will say that Mo'Nique looked like she gave an amazing performance in the trailer.

Barnes #71: Clueless
SEEN IT AND LOVED IT

Will flat out admit I secretly enjoy this film and that's it's been one of my guilty pleasures for quite some time. Is it top 100 caliber?? No way, but if I were to do a Top 250 similar to IMDB I could see Clueless being on it.

Much like The Sandlot defines our childhood, Clueless kind of defines our teenage years. It's actually quite frightening.

Also had a mad crush on Alicia Silverstone after I saw this movie ... whatever happened to her?? I do know she starred in that Aerosmith music video with Sawyer from LOST!!

RECAP

This is by far my favorite batch of Barnes' movies. He has five high-quality films and a couple decent ones. Only thought one selection was ridiculous, but that's probably going to be the average as we keep going forward.

Here is how I would rank these ten films.

1) Little Miss Sunshine
2) 8 Mile
3) Jerry Maguire
4) Clueless
5) Shrek
6) Hook
7) Heavyweights
8) Ladybugs
9) Precious
10) One Fine Day

That's all she wrote for this week. Will be back on Monday with movies 70-61.

Until next time, "read it, roll it, hole it."

No comments: