Saturday, September 20, 2008

2008 NFL ATS Pick 'Em: Week Three

If one is an accident, and two is a trend, what does that make three?

While there have been several teams who have started out 0-2 and still made the playoffs - the Giants did it last year, and won the entire thing - very few 0-3 teams find themselves playing games after Week 17. So, that would make three an eliminator.

In fact, if your team starts the season out 0-3, go ahead and make those vacation plans for the middle of January, because you will be available. That’s just the way it works. Winless teams after three weeks are essentially eliminated from playoff talk.

Since 1990, only three teams have reached the playoffs after starting 0-3, and none since Grothaus’ Buffalo Bills accomplished the difficult task back in 1998. The writing is on the wall. You HAVE to pick up a win before week four. If you don‘t get one, well, then remember to pack sunscreen for your trip.

For that very reason, week three is the hardest one to correctly pick games ATS. Look at Barnes last year. He led after the first two weeks, but went 3-13 (all three wins coming via a tie) in the third week, and never was the same. What happened? Well, some of the 0-2 teams (Jaguars, Chargers, Browns, Seahawks, etc) will play extra hard this week to try and earn their first win. Some will not. It’s tough to judge, but that is essentially what we, as pickers of ATS games, will attempt to do.

In reality, it probably takes five to six games before we can actually separate the pretenders from the contenders, and even then, there might be a team or two that floats from one group to another during the remainder of the year. The key this week is to keep the proverbial ship afloat, make smart choices, take your lumps and then regroup. You can’t win this pick ‘em in week three. But you can definitely lose it. Ask Barnes.

QUOTE OF THE WEEK: There were a lot of contenders for quote of the week, even more so than the first week. I hope this is a sign of things to come.

In a tight contest, Alex Lucius held off Devin Frank’s chance to repeat and claimed the Quote Of The Week for Week Two.

“St. Louis is the worst team probably in the history of the world. If France had a football team, they would beat the Rams.” - Alex Lucius.

All 17 QOTW winners will be eligible to win the prestigious Quote of the Year at our Awards Banquet. Lucius took the week off with regards to comments, so he leaves the door open for someone to grab this week’s QOTW.

Congrats goes to our week two winner Josh Florence, for going a ridiculous 13-2 in picks. He hardly watches any football, yet somehow, posted the best record by a full three games. As I have said before, one is an accident and two is a trend. We will see if he can keep it up.

Onto the picks.

Kansas City @ Atlanta (-5)

It continually amazes me how futile the QB situation is in the NFL. There just are not that many good ones out there. Let me correct that statement. There just are not that many competent QB’s out there. The Chiefs are starting Tyler Thigpen from Coastal Carolina this week, in an effort to try and snap an 11 game losing streak. Sorry, but even though the Falcons aren’t that good, there is no way I’m taking Tyler Thigpen on the road.
My Pick: ATL (-5)

Kevin: “Did you see Darren McFadden last week ... on the road ... against the Chiefs? Did you see Michael Turner in week one ... at home ... against another bad team, the Lions? By the way, I know it's early, but KC has the second-worst run defense in the league to only Detroit.” I think it’s safe to say that we aren’t expecting the Chiefs to be one of those 0-2 teams who HAVE to win this week. They don’t HAVE to win ANY games this YEAR. And they just might pull it off.

Barnes: "I would like to say a hearty 'F#$%' for being stuck with this crappy game at the 1pm hour. The alternatives aren't much better I know but this game is just turrable (say it like Barkley).” Got to watch the language Barnes. All 53 of Shawn Kemp’s kids are avid readers. I don’t want them picking up any bad habits.

Jake: “It's kind of a high line, so I'm a little afraid to take the pick, but The Burner isn't even listed on the injury report, so I'm going to say that he goes McFadden on the Chefs (does anyone else miss that Snickers commercial?? That's great, but who are the Chefs?? Great googily moogily...hahahaha) and handles business.” Okay, it’s official, we need new football-related commercials. That’s twice in as many weeks someone has referenced that Snickers commercial. It’s great, but we need new ones.

Chewy: “Atlanta's one win against Detroit is not that impressive, and I don't think KC will lose three in a row (as most teams in the NFL rarely do). I think Dorsey will start making an impact on the D Line and Larry Johnson will have a big game.” That’s what makes this KC team special Chewy. Their ability to lose more than you think they would be capable of.

Jeff: “Who is starting for KC?? Enough said.” Wait, you mean you’ve never heard of Tyler Thigpen?? Yeah, me either Jeff.

KC: Grothaus, Chewy, Sara, Josh, Justin, Devin, Rapking

ATL: Braves, Luke, Shane, Curtis, Jeff, Kevin, Bursa, Lucius, Polito, Barnes, Bart, Jake, Brian

Oakland @ Buffalo (-9)

That win last week for Buffalo is going to be huge in the long run. They came back and defeated a very good Jacksonville squad on the road. They continue that success here this week. Besides, they always play well on the road. Al Davis fires Lane Kiffin at halftime and gives Art Shell one more chance.
My Pick: BUF (-9)

The Promise's Promise (1-1):
Lane Kiffin gets fired after this game.

“It actually has nothing to do with the game cause Buffalo should roll over the lowly Raiders. This would've happened last week but firing someone after a win just isn't classy. But then again, we are talking about Al Davis so not sure if I have a point.”

I’m pulling a Mills Lane and allowing it.

Devin: “I like Buffalo to win, but not by two scores.” Aw yes, the beauty of ATS.

Kevin: “I'm sure the Bills are one of those trends you talk about, but they're a trend I don't want to take. Don't ask why, cause I got nothing.” Well Kevin they are, unless you are playing the anti-trend card, which could then become a trend in itself. My head hurts.

Jake: “Buffalo will win the game, but the Bills don't blow people out. They don't have the offense to do it. They do, however, have the defense to stop McFadden enough to pull out the win, especially with him on a gimpy toe.” No one seems to have faith with the Bills. Check out their schedule (OAK, @ STL, @ ARI, BYE, SD, @ MIA, NYJ, @ NE). They could easily be 7-2 and sitting in first place in the all-of-a-sudden open AFC East. I’m serious, this could happen.

Chewy: “If they could stop Jacksonville's impressive running game they should be able to stop Oakland's (especially with Fargas' hurt groin and McFadden's injured toe).” Can’t agree with you more Chewy. I figured this Bills team would be improved, but that Jacksonville game told me they are ready for the playoffs.

OAK: Grothaus, Shane, Lucius, Devin, Kevin, Justin, Rapking, Polito, Jake

BUF: Braves, Luke, Jeff, Sara, Chewy, Curtis, Josh, Bursa, Barnes, Bart, Brian

Tampa Bay @ Chicago (-3)


What appears to be a difficult choice is actually not that complicated once you take a closer look. Tampa Bay appears to be a playoff contender, while the book is still open on the Bears. They shocked the Colts in week one, but let a win get away from them a week later at Carolina. This one should be a defensive struggle, and even though the Bears are playing their first home game of the year, I’ll take the points.
My Pick: TB (+3)

Maxine Hunt Pick of the Week (0-2): Chicago (-3)


“She takes them because they're ‘Da Bears!’”

This is a must win game for Mrs. Hunt. She has a lot in common with the Browns, besides both being 0-2 thus far. They both came out of absolute nothingness last season to reach places never thought possible. Now, with the world watching, they are both looking a tad below mediocre. It’s still a long season, but, as Kevin puts it, “Holes are hard to dig out of.”

Barnes: “The Bears better enjoy any attention they are getting right now. Cause once the Cubbies and Sox get into the postseason, people will forget there is a mediocre football team in the city.” Good point Barnes. I’m curious myself how much attention I will pay to the playoffs. I’m rooting for a Tampa Bay-Los Angeles Dodgers World Series. The main reason, besides Tampa Bay being a great story, will be to see if Casey Blake can win the World Series MVP. That would make Big John happier than if the Tribe were to win the whole thing. I’m not kidding.

Jake: “Talk about being conflicted about a pick. Is Tampa Bay better than Carolina?? Isn't that what we're asking here?? I say yes. I could be wrong. And if I am, that'll only be the third time in three weeks I've picked the Chicago game wrong. At least I'm consistent.” Maybe you should pull a George Costanza and do the opposite of every instinct you get? It worked for him.

Chewy: “Graham looks good at RB, but three average QBs do not equal one good one ... Chicago wins.” For a second I thought Chewy was saying that Kyle Orton was good. I realized he was simply saying that Tampa Bay does not have a good QB. Phew. Kind of scared me there for a second.

TB: Grothaus, Luke, Shane, Lucius, Sara, Devin, Rapking, Polito, Bursa, Bart, Jake, Brian

CHI: Braves, Jeff, Curtis, Chewy, Josh, Kevin, Justin, Barnes

Carolina @ Minnesota (-3.5)

Here is where it gets tricky. The Vikings are going to be doing everything they can to get this win in order to avoid the death sentence which is an 0-3 record. However, I have been riding Jake Delhomme so far this season, and he has not let me down. Throw in the return of Steve Smith, which could mean the grim reaper is going to have a Monday morning meeting with the Vikings.
My Pick: CAR (+3.5)

Devin: “RIP Tavaris Jackson.” And long live Gus Frerotte.

Kevin: “Even though Tavaris Jackson got booed about as much as Vince Young, Gus Frerotte is no Kerry Collins. These situations aren't the same to me. I can't believe I'm taking Jake ‘of the man’ this week.” Only Kevin could include five quarterbacks in a 36-word comment.

Barnes: “This pick hinges on two players. One is Steve Smith, who is back in the lineup. The other is Adrian Peterson, who is apparently banged up.” Picking these games involves a heavy dose of luck. If AP can play, it changes things. All you can do is make a well-educated guess and go from there.

Jake: “Man, I don't feel good about this pick at all. I'm just praying that Jonathan Stewart can keep up with Adrian Peterson, and Steve Smith busts out in his first start of 2008.” But will AP play? That’s the question for this game.

Jeff: “Gus at QB, one NFL player older than me I think.” The 37-year-old Kittanning PA native played college ball at Tulsa, and is in his 15th NFL year. Frerotte has played for seven different teams, and this is his second stint with the Vikings. The more you know.

CAR: Braves, Grothaus, Luke, Shane, Jeff, Lucius, Justin, Kevin, Bursa, Barnes, Bart, Jake, Brian

MIN: Curtis, Chewy, Sara, Devin, Josh, Rapking, Polito

Miami @ New England (-12.5)

For several obvious reasons, this is not last year’s Patriots squad. This team does anything it takes to simply win the game. Last week it was defense, a solid running game, and their QB Matt Cassell not turning the ball over. That doesn’t bold well for ATS. However, the Dolphins have not covered yet, and I don’t anticipating them doing so here.
My Pick: NE (-12.5)

Kevin: “I think they want to win games even more than last year, just to prove their dominance. Well, that, and because their defense only has a shelf life of about one more year.” Hunt brings up a point that is worth talking about. How long can the Patriots be the Patriots? It happens with all dynasties (49ers, Cowboys, New York Yankees), and one has to wonder when the clock is going to strike zero on Belichick.

Barnes: “Let it be known, I still hope the Patriots crash and burn this season, just like the Yankees.” It is going to be nice seeing the Yankees miss out on October baseball. What will TBS and Chip Carey do? Oh, and by the way, did you know there is only one October? I was unaware.

Jake: “Joey Porter spouted off that it would be nice to get their first win of the year this week. So ... I'm thinking our boy Bill Belichick is going to open up a can of whoop ass this week on the Fins.” Normally I would agree with Jake, but after losing Brady, I’m not sure Belichick has the tools-at-hand for a job like that.

Chewy: “NE hasn't won a game by ten points yet, and I just like the fact that Ricky Williams is playing football again.” QOTW favorite. Any time you have someone enjoying the return of Ricky Williams, you make a strong case for QOTW.

MIA: Braves, Chewy, Lucius, Josh, Justin, Rapking, Polito

NE: Grothaus, Luke, Shane, Jeff, Curtis, Sara, Devin, Bursa, Kevin, Barnes, Bart, Jake, Brian

Cincinnati @ New York Giants (-13.5)

After the Bengals lose this game they play: Cleveland, @ Dallas, @ New York Jets, Pittsburgh, Bye Week, and Jacksonville. Have fun with that. Odds of Marvin Lewis still being around come week ten? 15-1? 30-1?
My Pick: NYG (-13.5)

Bursa: “Somebody's gotta make somethin' happen." Nice to see Brad showing his support for the Bengals. It’s a good thing he is all the way out in Denver and can’t watch them play. As for his comment, something tells me that Marvin Lewis getting fired will be the first thing to “happen” with Cincinnati this season.

Kevin: “This is the freaking game I get to watch early on Sunday. THEN, I have to go to a sports bar to watch the Browns because Steelers-Eagles is on instead. Talk about a terrible Sunday, really. BUT, the Packers are on Sunday night, so hopefully I can find somewhere to drink off the Browns game.” Flash-forward ten years and Kevin could use this exact same quote. It’s timeless.

Barnes: “It's official. The Bengals are the laughing stock of Ohio football teams.” In a related story, the St. Wendelin Mohawks are relieved.

Chewy: “ I don't plan on picking Cincy again after last week. As one of my idols (Michael Scott) would say about his HR guy. They are the worst.” Michael to Toby: “Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be.” God I love The Office.

CIN: Jeff, Sara, Bursa, Devin, Justin, Rapking, Polito, Brian

NYG: Grothaus, Braves, Luke, Shane, Curtis, Chewy, Lucius, Josh, Kevin, Barnes, Bart, Jake

Houston @ Tennessee (-5)

The only reason to stop riding hot teams is if there is a major injury to a key player. The Titans are hot, and they are healthy. While Houston COULD be good, we know with a lot more certainty what Tennessee brings to the table.
My Pick: TEN (-5)

Kevin: “In games following a bye week since Houston rejoined the league, the Texans are 2-4, including 0-3 in road games with an 18-point average margin of defeat. Plus there's that whole ‘we might not play home games in our stadium for a bit’ thing.” That not-playing-at-home idea worked wonders for the Saints two years ago. They almost made it to the Super Bowl. AND, the Browns were the only team in the NFL to play their first two games of the year at home, which they promptly lost both. Could we be on to something? Could not having a home be a good thing? Well, the Bills are testing that theory, as they are playing some 'home' games up in Toronto, eh.

Barnes: “Battle of New Oilers and Old Oilers. I'm just glad there is no longer a team called the Oilers cause they'd be the most hated team in the USA right now.” You can always count on Barnes to provide a nice blend of politics and sports.

Jake: “The Titans and their fearless leader Kerry Collins make it 3-0 this week. The Texans will be pumped up after a week off, but that won't matter because the Tennessee defense is very tough.” QOTW could be in store for Jake’s ability to sneak in “fearless leader” when describing Kerry Collins.

Jeff: “DEFENSE wins championships and the Titans have a good one.” But do defenses cover spreads?? I’ve never heard of a slogan surrounding defenses and ATS pick ‘em. It’s time for one. Thoughts?

HOU: Curtis, Chewy, Josh, Polito, Brian

TEN: Braves, Grothaus, Luke, Shane, Jeff, Lucius, Sara, Devin, Justin, Kevin, Rapking, Bursa, Barnes, Bart, Jake

Arizona @ Washington (-3)

The Cardinals have looked sharp so far, winning their first two games by a combined score of 54-23. However, they have beaten the 49ers and the Dolphins, two of the worst teams in the league. Meanwhile the Redskins played the Giants tough in week one, and then rallied to defeat the Saints last Sunday. The safe pick is the Redskins. I’m going safe.
My Pick: WAS (-3)

Barnes: “I am basing this pick on one thing only: John McCain. He's better representing Arizona then he would be representing our whole nation as President for nine months (cause he's really old any probably will die)." I may be well off base, but, I’m guessing Barnes will NOT be voting Republican in this upcoming election.

Jake: “Last week I said that Arizona sucked, this week I'm saying they'll beat the team that took down New Orleans last week. I must be out of my mind. I haven't picked a Washington game right yet. Why start now.” I hinted at it earlier with regards to Kevin and the Bills game, but this is the anti-trend approach in its’ purest form.

ARI: Braves, Shane, Jeff, Curtis, Justin, Josh, Polito, Bursa, Barnes, Bart, Jake,

WAS: Grothaus, Luke, Chewy, Lucius, Sara, Devin, Kevin, Rapking, Brian

New Orleans @ Denver (-5.5)

A member of this league, Jake Young came out with a blog entry titled, “What did I learn from week two of the NFL?” Well, in following that line of thinking, I learned that the Saints are not the same team on the road. Also, I learned that Denver has the potential of scoring a ton of points. Everything points to Denver in this one.
My Pick: DEN (-5.5)

Chewy: “ Do I even need to send you this one Luke?” As the lone Denver fan out of this bunch, I must admit Chewy, your Broncos have been the most entertaining team to watch thus far. I’m interested to know of your thoughts about Mike Shanahan going for two?

Jeff: “I have Eddie Royal and Brandon Marshall in a league so light it up.” I’m fairly certain Jeff is referencing his fantasy football team here, and not reading straight out of Ricky Williams' diary.

NO: Shane, Josh, Polito, Brian

DEN: Braves, Grothaus, Luke, Jeff, Curtis, Chewy, Lucius, Sara, Bursa, Devin, Justin, Kevin, Rapking, Barnes, Bart, Jake

Detroit @ San Francisco (-4)

I hate the NFL. The fact that one of these two teams will walk away from this contest with a win, is a downright tragedy to teams like Jacksonville and San Diego. Eeny, meeny, miny, … Lions.
My Pick: DET (+4)

Kevin Hunt’s Ballbuster Pick of the Week (1-1): Taking the team that wears team colors (DET=blue, SF=red).

“Somewhat of a provisional pick as well. I think I needed to spice it up. I took the team colors (which will likely be the Lions) because I love when teams wear their colors and not the white jerseys. In college, the white jerseys usually mean you're on the road, but in the pros it seems to switch. I wish ALL home teams wore their team colors, including basketball. But I don't see that ever happening, so I have to stake my wishes on a Ballbuster Pick. 1-1 on the year with these (about even in winnings).”

Could someone let me know which team wore their team colors? I really don’t want to watch two seconds of this game. Thanks.

Devin: “They almost beat GB, hopefully they can take SF.” Let’s be honest here. They never really ‘almost beat Green Bay.’ Yes they were up with less than ten minutes to go in the fourth quarter, but who didn’t see that collapse coming? I couldn’t have been the only one.

Barnes: “With every loss, Detroit is devaluing the wonderful American classic that is The Lion King.” This one is going to make a strong case for QOTW. One of Barnes’ best.

Chewy: “Frank Gore is one of the reasons I love football. Only God Knows why Detroit sucks every year, but they do.” Let me take a guess. His last name is 'Millen' and his first name starts with an ‘M’ and rhymes with ‘Matt.’

DET: Grothaus, Luke, Jeff, Sara, Devin, Rapking, Bart, Jake, Brian

SF: Braves, Shane, Curtis, Chewy, Lucius, Josh, Justin, Polito, Bursa, Barnes

St. Louis @ Seattle (-9.5)


The Seahawks ruined my three-team teaser last week by failing to defeat the 49ers. For that reason, and that reason only, I’m taking the Rams. Lord help me. So far I’ve taken the Lions, the Rams, and the Falcons. Please don’t let me pull a Barnes this week.
My Pick: STL (+9.5)

Barnes: “How bad is life in Seattle right now. Seahawks suck. Mariners suck. Sonics are gone. Tyrone Willingham and UW suck. And Frasier is not on the air anymore. No wonder people are sleepless there.” Good to have a complete slate of quotes from Barnes this week. It’s just not the same without them.

Jake: “I just don't think Seattle's very good. I know St. Louis is terrible, and I said just last week that I'd never pick them again, but I'm just playing a hunch ... with such a high line, is it really that unfathomable??” Can’t answer that Jake, but, by using “unfathomable,” I can assure you that you just sent Lucius scrambling for a dictionary, or as he prefers to call it, “the big book with a bunch of words in it.”

STL: Grothaus, Luke, Shane, Devin, Justin, Rapking, Jake

SEA: Braves, Jeff, Curtis, Chewy, Lucius, Sara, Josh, Kevin, Polito, Bursa, Barnes, Bart, Brian

Cleveland @ Baltimore (-2)

So now Eric Steinbach might not play? Donte Stallworth is already out. What a disaster. If the Browns lose this game, then they are done this year. If the Browns lose this game then Brady Quinn should be starting in week five against the Giants on Monday Night. Until the Browns win a game, I’m taking the insurance policy.
My Pick: BAL (-2)

Devin: “That’s right, Devin James Frank has not lost the faith! Sure there are some naysayers who say things like the Brownies suck and they will be cursed forever. Not me, I keep the faith, and I will go out on a limb. Write this down, the browns will not only cover the two point spread but they will win this game.” Not sure how big of a limb that is there Devin. The only way the Browns cover and don’t win is if they lose by one. Romeo Crennel won’t let it be that close.

Barnes: “BEWARE: Ed Hochuli is working this game. And we all know that if one team is going to get screwed in this game, it will be Cleveland.” Polito covers this aspect in his Knowledge Dropping this week. You may be surprised as to which category Po places him.

Chewy: “Baltimore just looks bad on paper, and the Browns are supposed to be a good team. They will have my faith for one more week.” As Chris Berman says, “And that’s why they play the game.”

Jeff: “Brownies, time to roll the table. Browns forever and Modell never.” Finally!! Jeff picks Cleveland! Big things are coming. (That’s what she said … or he said.)

CLE: Braves, Shane, Jeff, Curtis, Chewy, Lucius, Sara, Josh, Bursa, Devin, Justin, Kevin, Rapking, Polito, Bursa, Barnes, Jake, Brian

BAL: Grothaus, Luke, Bart

Jacksonville @ Indianapolis (-5.5)

So what the Jaguars got off to a slow start. They did the same thing last year, at least in terms of ATS (failing to cover the first two weeks). This game means more to the Jaguars then the Colts. At the very least, I anticipate a close contest.
My Pick: JAX (+5.5)

Devin: “Neither team is as good as last year. Jacksonville usually plays Indy close.” Both these teams could turn it around however, and no one would be surprised.

Kevin: “This defense steps up without Bob Sanders like the Pats without Tom Brady.” I know Browns fans are crying about how many injuries they have, but Cleveland is not the only team suffering. The Eagles lost their two starting wide-receivers. The Pats lost Tom Brady. L.T. hasn’t been healthy all season long. It happens, it’s part of football. Anticipating otherwise would be just plain ignorant.

Barnes: “Oh, I get this game at 4pm instead of the Keystone State showdown. I'll save the F-bomb this time but still not happy.” Kemp’s children thank-you Barnes.

Jake: “This is usually a close game, and Jacksonville hasn't played very well so far, but there are two things I see happening. Jacksonville's run game has its first break out performance of the season against a Bob Sanders-less Indy D, and the Jags D-Line pummels the Colts O-Line. If Dallas Clark and Jeff Saturday play, I'm sure none of this will matter and Indy will roll. Ha.”

Chewy: “Both of these teams are horribly disappointing and injured. Bob Sanders is another reason I love football, but he is sitting out with an injury.” If both Jacksonville and Tennessee win this week, then the Titans will have a two-game lead on the Jags AND the Colts. Wow.

Jeff: “The rust is off the race-car, it’s time for Indy to go full throttle.” Bonus points to Jeff for his Indianapolis 500 reference. Well done.

JAX: Luke, Shane, Chewy, Lucius, Devin, Jake, Brian

IND: Braves, Grothaus, Jeff, Curtis, Sara, Devin, Justin, Josh, Kevin, Rapking, Polito, Bursa, Barnes, Bart

Pittsburgh @ Philadelphia (-3)

Donovan McNabb looked good last Monday Night. Even though the Eagles lost, they played the Cowboys tough on the road. Now they turn around and face a team in the Steelers that several pundits have tabbed the team to beat in the AFC. I don’t see that, although they are near the top. In another toss-up game, I’ll back the Steelers.
My Pick: PIT (+3)

Kevin: “This pick might be out of anger. Yup, it sure is.”

Barnes: “This is a toss-up. Can't just go with the black QB cause Pittsburgh has a black coach. So I'll go with the home team.” Yes, these are my friends.

Jake: “Donovan looks good. Ben is injured. The Eagles seem to score a lot. The Steelers don't. I'm taking Philly.” Well Jake, the Steelers did put up 38 on Houston.

Jeff: “Show the Browns how to beat Pittsburgh, and it’s not with field goals.” Romeo is the oldest coach in the league, and it just seems as if the game is moving too fast for him. Brady Quinn + Bill Cowher = AFC Championship. Watch it happen.

PIT: Luke, Chewy, Sara, Justin, Josh, Bursa, Bart, Brian

PHI: Braves, Grothaus, Shane, Jeff, Curtis, Lucius, Devin, Kevin, Rapking, Polito, Barnes, Jake

Dallas (-3) @ Green Bay

I’ve said it before. You have to make smart picks in week three. You can kill yourself by going out on a limb too many times. Dallas at only minus-three? Thank you very much.
My Pick: DAL (-3)

Kevin: “Back the Pack cause the Pack is Back! Might Rodgers do what Favre never really could and beat the Cowboys? That would solidify his status this year. At least for a week.” Kevin maintained a solid record throughout the early portion of last year on that stupid Packers saying. He’s trying to do it again this season.

Barnes: “John Madden in Green Bay but no Brett Favre? What will he talk about? Oh I know ... Brett Favre.” And that’s what that’s all about.

Jake: “I picked against my Pack in week one, and I paid for it. Never again says your fearless forecaster. Romo's a hack. Don't be surprised though if TO has 180 yards receiving. Al Harris prides himself on being physical, but how physical can you get when the receiver is that much bigger than you?? Case in point ... last year's Green Bay-Dallas game.”

Jeff: “Should be a great game to watch. It will let us see how good Rodgers is.” So far, Rodgers has been impressive. Do you think the Vikings would like to have their pick back from the 2005 draft when they took DE - Erasmus James instead of Rodgers? I certainly would think so.

DAL: Grothaus, Luke, Shane, Jeff, Curtis, Lucius, Bursa, Devin, Justin, Rapking, Bart

GB: Braves, Chewy, Sara, Josh, Kevin, Polito, Barnes, Jake, Brian

New York Jets @ San Diego (-9)

Brett Favre back on Monday Night Football. As for the Chargers, well, they very easily could be 2-0 instead of winless based on just two plays. If the Panthers don’t score on the final play in week one, and if Ed “Big Guns” Hochuli makes the correct call in week two, then San Diego is 2-0. I’m taking the home team, because they need this game, and the Jets did not impress me at all against the Pats last Sunday.
My Pick: SD (-9)

Kevin: “Dick Enberg put Norv Turner on suicide watch last week. So why am I picking Norv to make a big comeback? I have no clue.” Serious QOTW contender. Why you ask? Because he included Norv Turner and Dick Enberg in the same sentence. This is how these things are won.

Barnes: “I'm going to watch this game on mute so I don't have to hear Tony Kornheiser talk about Brett Favre. When Madden does it, it's funny. When Kornheiser does it, it's forced, kind of like any pass from Jon Kitna.” Barnes ends a more than solid week with a QOTW hopeful. Well done.

Jake: “The J-E-T-S can score against this team, and LT is not feeling too hot. I just don't like my Super Bowl pick at all right now.” I tried warning you Jake, Norv Turner and Super Bowl just don’t go together.

Chewy: “SD offense has been impressing in spite of their losses. I like them to get their first victory this week at home on national TV.”

Jeff: “Favre on Monday Night is a lock.” Somebody better check on Jeff, I think Tony Kornheiser is sending in his picks.

NYJ: Braves, Grothaus, Shane, Jeff, Curtis, Sara, Bursa, Devin, Polito, Jake

SD: Luke, Chewy, Justin, Josh, Lucius, Kevin, Rapking, Barnes, Bart, Brian

CHEW ON THIS - VOL. III - By: Andrew Reinhart

“One of the biggest reasons I have been picking the Texans over the last few weeks is their talented and young Defensive line. Mario Williams and Amobi Okoye can both have an immense impact on a game.

A team that can pressure a QB without blitzing line-backers is at a massive advantage (as my Buckeye's have painfully demonstrated in their last two National Championship disasters), and this is Super Mario's biggest contribution. They are not a "pass-specializing" D-Line either. They will play well against the run game. It will be interesting to see how these young guys react after the postponed game and natural disaster. I think they will rise above the adversity and play with extra motivation for the rest of the season.”

PO‘S KNOWLEDGE DROPPING - Week Two in Review - By: Ryan Polito

Most Dominant: Ed Hochuli

Okay, so many people probably think this guy deserves to be on the least dominant list after blatantly costing the Chargers the game against Denver this past week. However, he has handled the criticism better than any of ref in the NFL could have. He has come out and admitted his mistake to the world and feels terrible about it. He sent an apology note to the San Diego Chargers and the fans. He has responded to all of his hate mail, and you cant ask for a guy to show more class than he has. Face it, he made a mistake and he feels badly about it. In my opinion he is still the best official the NFL has, and he definitely has the biggest guns.

Others receiving votes:
Mike Shanahan - having the guts to go for a two-point conversion to beat the rival Chargers and send his Broncos to a 2-0 start.

Least Dominant: Romeo Crennel

Last week this guy shot to the top of my list for Coach of the Year. This is because I am a Steelers fan. Being a Steelers fan I was thrilled when the Browns lost to the Steelers for the tenth straight time. However, there was one coaching decision during that game that puts Romeo on least dominant for the week.

With the Browns trailing 10-3 late in the game facing a 4th and 7 on the Steelers 13-yard-line, Romeo decides to be dumb and kick a field goal with only three minutes left in the game. The Browns convert the FG to make the score 10-6, but don’t get the ball back until only :26 remained on the clock leaving the Browns no time to do anything.

If Mike Tomlin made the decision to kick a field goal down 10-3, I would drive to his house and slap him myself. I realize they had three timeouts, but the Browns hadn’t done anything on offense all game, and you need a TD anyway at some point in the game if you want to win. Kicking a FG still left the Browns needing another TD to win, so why not go for the TD at that point in time.

This dumb decision rivals Romeo's decision in Week 1 to kick a FG down 28-7 against the Cowboys. The Browns are in a big 0-2 hole this season, and if things don’t change Romeo might be finding himself on the unemployment list instead of the least dominant list.

Others receiving votes:
Tavaris Jackson - Personally making the Vikings 0-2 on the year. They should have beaten the Packers and the Colts, but they had no QB help at all. When you get benched in favor of the head-smasher Gus Frerotte then you need to be on least dominant.

God - I apologize to the good lord here, but he’s on least dominant this week. He’s here for causing a massive wind storm last Sunday night causing thousands of people to lose power for many days. Not only that, but I missed most of the Browns-Steelers game due to lack of power in my house. I had to listen to gay blondie Jim Donovan on the Browns radio network all night because I couldn’t get the Steelers network to work either. So God, next time you want to be hard and cause lots of wind, please let it happen on a Tuesday or something. AMEN."

THAT'S ALL SHE WROTE

Thanks to everyone for another successful week. This column has really taken off, and it's not possible unless people like yourself are reading it. I'm always up for ideas, and I love comments, so keep those coming.

Until next time, "read it, roll it, hole it."

3 comments:

Luke said...

STANDINGS AFTER SUNDAYS GAMES:

1) Lucius 29-17 (11-4)
2) Grothaus 28-18 (7-8)
2) Shane 28-18 (9-6)
4) Braves 27-19 (6-9)
4) Luke 27-19 (7-8)
6) Devin 26-20 (9-6)
7) Jeff 25-21 (6-9)
7) Curtis 25-21 (6-9)
7) Rapking 25-21 (9-6)
7) Polito 25-21 (10-5)
11) Josh 24-22 (5-10)
11) Chewy 24-22 (6-9)
11) Brian 24-22 (7-8)
14) Sara 23-23 (6-9)
14) Justin 23-23 (6-9)
14) Kevin 23-23 (7-8)
17) Bursa 22-24 (7-8)
18) Barnes 20-26 (5-10)
19) Bart 19-27 (6-9)
19) Jake 19-27 (6-9)

Andrew Reinhart said...

I think Shannahan's decision to go for 2 changed my life (especially after multiple overtime loses last year). I wish I could pick games as well as Brandon Marshal plays wide receiver. I have been on a downward trend so far.

EricHug said...

I can't believe how many people picked the Browns to beat the Ravens.