Thursday, September 04, 2008

2008 NFL ATS: Week One: WAS @ NYG

I am not a big fan of starting the NFL season on a Thursday night, but hey, I can't complain too much, because it gets the NFL started 72 hours earlier than if they kicked off on a normal Sunday. We are going to post the picks for the first game separate from the entire week, which will be up sometime Saturday night. Let me know what you think about the set-up for the game/picks/comments. I'm trying to find the winning combination for the season.

Washington @ New York Giants (-3.5)

The defending Super Bowl champions begin on their quest to defend their crown against a divisional foe. Both of these teams had winning records last year and both made it to the playoffs. This is the second straight season the NFL regular season begins with the defending Super Bowl champs in action. Last year, the Indianapolis Colts trounced the New Orleans Saints 41-10. I took the points in that contest, thinking that the Colts would come out flat ... guess not. Even though the G-Men are a bit banged up, they should have enough in the tank to beat the Redskins by more than a field goal.
MY PICK: NYG (-3.5)

COMMENTS: (my reaction/response to them in BOLD)

Devin: "I think the train may fall apart for the champs but not in week one." I'm with D-Frank on this one. Everything went right for the Giants in 2007, so far in 2008 it appears that everything is going wrong.

Sara: "Thought this was gonna be the only game I'd actually be in the states to see this year, but nope I'll be on an airplane to Dublin for this one, probably flying over the stadium actually." She travels a lot. Last year Australia, this year Dublin. Next year, probably Mars.

Bart: "It's tough to pick against the defending Super Bowl Champions, but with some key losses to their defense, I think they will struggle in this one." In a twist no one saw coming, Bart attempts to make his week one picks using logic, and not with his usual, "eh, I flipped a coin." More on this developing situation to come on Saturday.

Barnes: "Welcome back NFL. Thanks for this sucky game." Uh oh, Barnes is making comments. When did this happen? Certainly not last year. Already 2008 is looking better than 2007.

Jeff: "I have not done my homework yet on any of the games-but I figure a Super Bowl Ring should be good enough for an opening night WIN." But will they cover?

Chewy: "I just don't like the QB situation in Washington. I still love my boy Portis, and the way Washington can play defense (although they have been underachieving in my opinion)." I should have given Chewy better odds. Las Vegas has altered his line to 12-1, which shows who they think will win it all.

Hunt: "Why pick against the defending champs??" Because they lost half of their defensive line from last year, which was their best unit in '07 and ultimately gave them the opportunity to defeat the Pats. I hate my NYG pick the more and more I think about it.

PICKS

NYG: Luke, Hunt, Polito, Shane, Barnes, Chewy, Justin, Sara, Curtis, Brian, Grothaus, Devin, Jeff, Lucius, Braves

WAS: Bart, Rapking, Jake, Bursa

Brandin Bursa did not have a pick in for this game, which means, unfortunately, he will forfeit this game. Perhaps he wanted to watch both these teams play one real game first, before he started to make his picks. Bold choice indeed.

So that is how the set-up will run for the majority of the weeks. Some weeks will have more content than others, but at the very least, everyone will get to see the league's picks each week.

Coming up on Saturday night, we have Bart's Thoughts For The Week (everything you could expect and more), Hunt's Ballbuster AND Maxine Hunt Pick Of The Week, as well as the Promise's Promise.

Are you ready for some football?

Until Saturday night, "read it, roll it, hole it."

2 comments:

Matt said...

Wouldn't Thursday to Sunday be 72 hours? And actually, since the game started at 7pm and not 1pm, it'd be more like 66 hours.

Anonymous said...

Its actually the third straight season the NFL opened up with the defending Superbowl champion. The Steelers beat the Dolphins on Thursday Night 3 yrs ago.
I could understand why you would forget about that though.
Go Steelers!