Sunday, September 28, 2008

2008 NFL ATS Pick 'Em: Week Four

***UPDATE*** We are all set. I have added your comments and my reactions. Enjoy.

My weekend was going pretty well sports wise. Pete Carroll and the USC Trojans lost. Brady Quinn was splitting reps with Derek Anderson. Notre Dame looked semi-coherent in their victory over Purdue. Something was bound to take a turn for the worse.

It did. Cool Hand Luke died.

It was T. Willy who was the first to call me by that name, much to my surprise. I had never even heard of Cool Hand Luke before. After learning about the movie, and the actor (Paul Newman) who played him, I quickly embraced the new nickname. I stashed it alongside, "Flo," "Skywalker," and "Little Hugo."

Mr. Newman will be missed, but his legacy will remain through Cool Hand Luke.

Side note: I still have never seen "Cool Hand Luke."

Quote Of The Week

Honors go to Matt Barnes for his week three comment. Thus far, Barnes, Lucius and D. Frank have their seat reserved for the honors banquet at the end of the season where we will crown the Quote of the Year.

"With every loss, Detroit is devaluing the wonderful American classic that is 'The Lion King.'"

One needs to understand that The Lion King is Barnes' favorite movie, which is why this quote is so great.

Congrats goes out to Alex Lucius for posting a league best 12-4 record last week. Lucius has put two solid weeks together to vault into first place by two games.

Okay, onto the picks.

Atlanta @ Carolina (-7) - FINAL SCORE: CAR 24-9

It looks like we are at the point where the Falcons resemble last year's Bills. A team that plays well at home (always covers) but looks miserable on the road (never covers).

Barnes: "The Falcons' two wins are against the Lions and Chiefs. Pretty sure that means they aren't really that good." Or, they simply play better at home. Maybe it is a combination of both.

Jake: "The only way Matt Ryan gets away from the Carolina front seven this week is to turn into a real falcon and fly far, far away." Happy 21st Birthday Jake. Welcome to the club.

Kevin: "My hope is that Atlanta is a bad team on the road. I'm also basing this pick off history (see Minnesota-Tennessee Ballbuster)." Score one for the good guys. For once.

Jeff: "Taking a page out of Romeo's book ... reach into pocket ... flip it ... Atlanta." Right off the bat, Jeff comes through with a QOTW possibility. Good stuff.

ATL: Shane, Braves, Devin, Jeff, Polito, Justin, Sara, Bart

CAR: Lucius, Grothaus, Luke, Rapking, Curtis, Josh, Chewy, Brian, Kevin, Bursa, Barnes, Jake

Cleveland @ Cincinnati (-3.5) - CLE 20-12

I don't even want to talk about this game. There will be a entire post dedicated to the state of the Browns franchise coming up tomorrow, as well as a letter I found that Romeo wrote to Brady Quinn.

Justin: "High expectations for a Cleveland team have again left me feeling down. I didn't see this 0-3 start coming, and I am a little shaken by it. To build my confidence back up, I would like to share with everyone the three things about Cleveland sports that I am certain of.

1. To be effective, a 3-4 defense requires very talented linebackers. The Browns do not have very talented linebackers.

2. No human on earth has spent more time diving unsuccessfully for ground balls that Jhonny Peralta.

3. The Cavaliers are going to play 82 games this regular season, and they will win some and they will lose some. I have dubbed this the season of no expectations. (Although two weeks ago I would have told you that Mo Williams is the answer, our bench is as deep as any team's, and James Posey's departure from Boston makes the Cavaliers the best team in the East.)" I particularly loved the Peralta reference. What do you think about him playing third-base possibly next season?

Barnes: "As if the baseball seasons of both teams weren't disappointing enough, the football teams are making the state of Ohio look like a joke." This game was anything BUT comical. It was ugly. And oh yeah Barnes, don't forget about the Buckeyes getting destroyed in their last three big football games. They aren't helping Ohio's football reputation either.

Kevin: "I'll be at work during this game, so whatever. I'm just really disappointed Steve Beuerlein isn't calling this game, as I am for every Browns-Bengals game he doesn't call after the 'Almost makes you wish you were from Ohio' comment from years ago. In fact, Steve Beuerlein doesn't even have a game this week. I'm concerned to be honest with you. That comment put him near the top of my not-written-yet-highly-referenced "List of Clowns" (it's right beside the "Things to Remember" notebook I'm sure). I'll cut him some slack though, he DID have to call the Browns-Ravens game last week. And I apologize for not being able to find a video of the aforementioned comment, so this clip of Beuerlein will have to do." That is a great video, and it is what everyone in the state of Ohio wanted to do to Beuerlein after that comment. It was one of those memories I will never forget.

Chewy: "Last time I pick the Brownies untill they start playing Brady Quinn." Well Chewy, if you listened to Phil Savage yesterday, you might be picking against Cleveland for a while. Maybe forever.

Jeff: "BROWNS DAMN IT. I AM NOT PAINTING BENGAL STRIPES ON MY CAR!" What a great car. What a sorry team this year.

CLE: Lucius, Grothaus, Luke, Shane, Braves, Jeff, Curtis, Josh, Chewy, Brian, Justin, Kevin, Sara, Bursa, Jake

CIN: Devin, Rapking, Polito, Barnes, Bart

Houston @ Jacksonville (-8) - JAX 30-27 OT

Give credit to the Texans. They have played three straight games on the road and the thinking was that they would be tired. Not the case at all. Even though they lost, this game tells me that Houston might be a factor down the road this year.

Jake: "I'm playing a hunch that Houston will keep it close this week. Man I hope I'm right. Mario Williams and DeMeco Ryans need to step up in a big way and Big Bad Schaub needs to do ... something. Ahman Green for 100 yards?? Anyone??" Well, Jake got the Houston keeping it close part right, but Ahman Green didn't register a single yard. Good thing Jake got the important one correct.

Jeff: "Another lopsided loss for the Texans, must be some fans feeling worse than I do." They did sent it to OT, but hopefully Jeff feels a little better now that the Browns won. Maybe.

Devin: "Neither team looks good, I take Jacksonville at 6 not 8." Well played.

HOU: Lucius, Shane, Devin, Chewy, Brian, Polito, Sara, Bart, Jake

JAX: Grothaus, Luke, Braves, Rapking, Jeff, Curtis, Josh, Justin, Kevin, Bursa, Barnes

Denver (-9.5) @ Kansas City - KC 33-19

Well Rapking, how did you foresee this? Larry Johnson resurrected his career against the Broncos. I'm a little disappointed in Chewy telling me Denver had their run defense figured out. What's the deal?

Kevin: "When I saw that this was the game she got, I KNEW what was coming ...

Maxine Hunt Pick of the Week (0-3): Denver (-9.5)


Mom: They always beat Cleveland. If I pick them they'll lose. So we might as well make them lose.

Me: But if they lose, you lose your pick too.

Mom: But they beat Cleveland all those times!

Me: Don't worry, it's already written down."

Now Mrs. Hunt is doing worse than the Browns. This was the only thing I could think of ...



Barnes: "I pity the fool that picks the Chiefs to cover." That's why he is in 19th place.

Jake: "Denver gives up a lot of points, but Kansas City really is not good in any facet of the game." This was the popular opinion. Rapking must have saw something.

Chewy: "We are going to tear up KC. Who are the Chefs?" And the Snickers commercial is now referenced three weeks in a row. This has taken the place of "Philadelphia" from last year. (It does make a comeback this week however ... read more to find out where)

DEN: Everyone BUT Rapking

KC: Rapking

San Francisco @ New Orleans (-6) - NO 31-17

Saints are right there with the Falcons. 2-0 ATS @ home. 0-2 ATS on the road. This thing is all about trends people. I'm trying to help you out.

Jake: "Brees throws for 400 yards and four touchdowns, two to Reggie Bush." Brees did throw three TD's, but zero to Mr. Bush. Again, at least Jake got the right pick.

SF: Lucius, Grothaus, Shane, Jeff, Josh, Polito, Bursa, Bart

NO: Luke, Braves, Devin, Rapking, Curtis, Chewy, Brian, Justin, Kevin, Sara, Barnes, Jake

Arizona @ New York Jets (-1.5) - NYJ 56-35

What a shoot-out. Kurt Warner, despite throwing for more than 400 yards and a pair of touchdowns, actually got me negative five points in our fantasy league, which I love. My QB I had on the bench ... Brett Favre. All he did was throw for a CAREER-HIGH six TD's. Whoops.

Barnes: "Battle of the AARP quarterbacks." They combined for eight TD's and more than 750 yards. 1998 called, they want these guys' statistics back.

Jake: "Favre against Warner ... first one to 300 yards gets the win." More like the first one to toss SIX touchdowns. Unreal.

Kevin: "The Warner vs. Favre matchup has every man over 80 years old tuning in to watch. It's also the first time this season that Brett the Jet's game won't be on network TV in the state of Wisconsin. Without the following, Cardinals roll to an easy win." This is a QOTW candidate, only because of it being an extremely exciting game, Hunt not being able to watch it, and for the fact he picked the Cardinals to roll.

ARI: Grothaus, Shane, Braves, Devin, Rapking, Kevin, Sara, Bursa, Bart

NYJ: Lucius, Luke, Jeff, Curtis, Josh, Chewy, Brian, Polito, Justin, Barnes, Jake

Green Bay @ Tampa Bay (-1) - TB 30-21

A little surprised only Justin and myself backed the Bucs. Devin, I'm looking in your direction.

Jake: "It doesn't bode well for the Packers that it's supposed to be 87 degrees outside, them being from Wisconsin and all. How can I pick against them though?" Have to respect the loyalty.

Kevin: "Battle of the Bays. Boston Red Sox outfielder Jason Bay is from Canada, which is obviously closer to Green Bay. Go Pack Go." And the Red Sox again end up hurting Hunt.

Jeff: "Griese won't throw for 400 yards on this defense. Taking the Packers." Jeff pulled the anti-Jake. Griese only threw for 149 yards, but won the game.

Devin: "Brian Griese + 60 plus attempts = Devin + Brain Aneurysm (totally had to look how to spell that)." Devin is trying to stake his claim to another QOTW.

GB: Everyone EXCEPT Luke and Justin

TB: Luke and Justin

Minnesota @ Tennessee (-3) - TEN 30-17

If I could have one pick back, this one would be it. Tennessee is legit and they are the best team in the AFC right now.

Kevin Hunt's Ballbuster Pick of the Week (2-1): Tennessee (-3)


"Under inspiration from last night's walk-off grand slam win by the Brewers (5-1), I'm taking that score and running with it. The team whose #55 graduated from college first. It turns out Tennessee is the team that actually has a #55.

His name is Stephen Tulloch, a linebacker out of N.C. State in his 3rd NFL season. And, while this is a bold statement, having him for my Ballbuster very well could be the pick that turns my entire season around.

First reason: he has 96 career tackles. Let's flash back for a moment to 1996.

It was the first season Cleveland was without an NFL team, a season I might even want to have back now that I get to watch the miserableness they call the Browns this year. Also in 1996, the St. Mary's Elementary Class of 2000 entered 5th grade - the first year of CYO basketball play - and, overall, organized team play. Even with the slim pickings for players (I'm talking numbers AND talent here), this was the beginning of a St. Mary's squad that would rival the cross-town St. Joe's teams for years (and by "years" I mean two years). 1996 was also the year of the Olympic bombings in Atlanta (see Falcons pick).

Another reason: Tulloch's birthday ... 1/1/85. He's a New Year's baby ... and with this random choice begins MY new year in the picks (hopefully). And if it works out, I really have Ryan Braun to thank."

I think Hunt finally out-did himself. No way he tops that the rest of the year. Or will he?

Jake: "Tennessee has been good to me this year, and there I go punching the gift horse in the mouth for a team that has brought me nothing but unhappiness (except when the Packers beat them), but here I go taking the Vikings. Here's hoping the Titans win by one." I think Jake would like to have this pick back too.

Chewy: "They are a lot better since Vince Young got hurt. I stand corrected Luke." If only I would have listened to myself from two weeks ago. Oh well, such is life.

Jeff: "Gus Frerotte against Kerry Collins. Is this the Seniors Tour?" All I could think of was this ...



MIN: Lucius, Luke, Shane, Rapking, Curtis, Brian, Justin, Sara, Bursa, Barnes, Bart, Jake

TEN: Grothaus, Braves, Devin, Jeff, Josh, Chewy, Polito, Kevin

San Diego (-7.5) @ Oakland - SD 28-18

As soon as I saw that everyone picked San Diego, I was almost positive that Oakland would cover. That's how it worked last year, where it seemed every time we reached a league consensus, we ended up losing. If it weren't for a late TD by LT, this theory would have held.

Let the Lane Kiffin comments begin!

Barnes: "Seriously, Lane Kiffin will be fired one of these days. I'm not really hoping for it but something tells me, he is. Get paid and not work? Sign me up!" Barnes finally got it right. He made it his 'promise' last week, so if at first you don't succeed ... you know the rest.

Kevin: "The Chargers realize how important it is to win games you're supposed to win. This might be the 'reason' for Lane Kiffin's departure." And tell him what he won Johnny!

Devin: "Just put Lane Kiffin out of his misery." Done and done. Is Marvin Lewis next?

SD: Everyone

OAK: No one

Buffalo (-8.5) @ St. Louis - BUF 31-14

The St. Louis Rams are historically bad. Did everyone who picked the Rams know they were starting Trent Green? Just curious.

THE PROMISE'S PROMISE (1-2): St. Louis (+8.5)


"The Rams have burned me before but I got a feeling this week. They've been cutting players left and right and all those baseball fans will make their way into the dome and show them some love. They may not win this game but they'll keep it close. And that's a Promise from The Promise."

These are starting to turn into Ballbuster picks of last year. Meaning, go the opposite direction.

Kevin: "Trent Green throws a touchdown ... teammates pat him on the back AND smack him in the helmet ... Green crumbles to the ground, spitting out practically inaudible and nonsensical phrases like, 'torched tangerines make delightful lawnmowers' and 'Remember the Jesse Crain! ... when departing the plane' or maybe even something to the effect of 'and the Cleveland Browns win the Super Bowl!' ... Marc Bulger enters game, throws for 278 yards and 3 TDs ... Rams win by 3." Allow me to introduce everyone into the world of Kevin T. Hunt.

Chewy: "I agree with Alex's comment from last week (I love Freedom Fries ... Mmerica)." Those two, coupled with Bart, could do some serious damage at a buffet.

Devin: "AFC East Champs?? Doesn't matter, the SEC Champs could beat the Rams." Would that be Alabama? LSU? Or dare I say, Vanderbilt?

BUF: Lucius, Grothaus, Luke, Braves, Devin, Rapking, Jeff, Curtis, Josh, Chewy, Brian, Sara, Bursa

STL: Shane, Polito, Justin, Kevin, Barnes, Bart, Jake

Washington @ Dallas (-11.5) - WAS 26-24

Not surprised Washington won ATS, but really surprised to see them win straight-up. After their week one contest, I would have pegged this Washington team with a 6-10 record. Now, I have absolutely no clue who is going to win the NFC East. Would you really be surprised if Washington won it? I wouldn't.

Jake: "This is usually a close game, but Dallas is a great, great team. Oh well. I'm picking the rivalry." Great pick by Jake. History has shown that these two teams play close games, even when there is an uneven distribution of talent between them.

WAS: Everyone EXCEPT Shane, Devin and Curtis

DAL: Shane, Devin, Curtis

Philadelphia (-3) @ Chicago - CHI 24-20

No way Chicago wins this game if Brian Westbrook is playing. Not a chance.

Barnes: "Instead of dissecting the football matchup, let's dissect the movie matchup. Philadelphia had 5 Oscar nominations and two wins for Best Actor (Tom Hanks) and Original Song (Bruce Springsteen's "Streets of Philadelphia"). Chicago had 13 Oscar nominations and 6 wins, including Best Picture. I haven't seen either movie but after reading the plots of each on imdb.com, I'm pretty sure I would like Philadelphia more ... so gimme the Iggles." Yes, these are my friends. Good to see "Philadelphia" return. That never gets old.

PHI: Lucius, Grothaus, Luke, Shane, Devin, Rapking, Jeff, Curtis, Chewy, Brian, Polito, Justin, Kevin, Sara, Bursa, Barnes

CHI: Braves, Josh, Bart, Jake

Baltimore @ Pittsburgh (-7) - PIT 23-20 OT

First Monday Night game I lost. In the second battle of teams from the AFC North, the banged-up Steelers did just enough to win, but not enough to cover. Right now Pittsburgh has to be considered the favorite to win the division, but their players are dropping like flies.

Barnes: "The Steelers injuries scare me but I think they'll overcome them. And by think, I mean hope cause I really need to get some games right." True story Barnes. True story.

Jake: "Rashard Mendenhall gets his first major playing time, and he goes over 100 yards on MNF. Mark it down." What actually took place: Mendenhall gets nine carries and 30 yards. AND, he's done for the year. He won't get 100 yards for the ENTIRE season. I love this recap post idea.

BAL: Lucius, Grothaus, Shane, Braves, Rapking, Curtis, Chewy, Brian, Polito, Justin, Kevin, Bursa

PIT: Luke, Devin, Jeff, Josh, Sara, Barnes, Bart, Jake

CHEW ON THIS - VOL. IV - By: Andrew Reinhart

"Sam Adams is one of my heroes. I am not sure who he is playing for this year, but chances are he is still making it a lot harder for people to run up the middle against that team. When they put that he only weighs 350Ibs. I think they are slimming him down a bit.

Note: Every team I write about it seems that I have cursed them for that week (Except my Broncos), but then they play great the following week ie. Miami. Lets see if the trend continues with Houston."

Well Chewy, Houston played well against Jacksonville, at least to the point where they covered. AND, Sam Adams no longer plays in the league. He retired last year after 14 seasons of clogging up the middle.

THE END

Until next time, "read it, roll it, hole it."

3 comments:

Luke said...

STANDINGS AFTER SUNDAYS GAME
1) Lucius 37-22 (7-5)
2) Luke 36-23 (8-4)
3) Grothaus 34-25 (6-6)
3) Braves 34-25 (7-5)
3) Chewy 34-25 (9-3)
6) Josh 33-26 (8-4)
6) Brian 33-26 (8-4)
8) Rapking 32-27 (6-6)
9) Shane 31-28 (3-9)
9) Devin 31-28 (5-7)
9) Jeff 31-28 (6-6)
9) Curtis 31-28 (6-6)
13) Polito 30-29 (5-7)
13) Justin 30-29 (6-6)
13) Kevin 30-29 (6-6)
16) Sara 29-30 (6-6)
17) Bursa 27-32 (5-7)
17) Jake 27-32 (8-4)
19) Barnes 26-33 (5-7)
20) Bart 24-35 (4-8)

Jake Young said...

The shift to the top has begun

Anonymous said...

Yes Luke, Bart, Alex, and I could do some damage at a buffet.

I really needed all those wins this week.

I stand corrected again. Our run defense still sucks. We still haven't been able to replace Al Wilson :(.

The only thing happier than me right now are Sam Adams poor legs.

Thanks for another good (although belated) post.