Monday, August 22, 2011

KOA's 100 Films: Rapid Reaction to Barnes' 50-41

By: Luke Florence

"See The Proposal and then talk to me ... asshole." - Matt Barnes.

Of all the films I've ripped so far on Barnes' list, this is the only time Barnes has responded with such vigor. And to so vehemently defend The Proposal could be seen as a laughable offense, it just shows how we are becoming more emotionally attached to these films. More so than the ones when we just got underway.

No, I'm not going to see The Proposal, and probably won't until a female makes that decision for me, but I applaud Barnes for his passion. It's a bit misguided, but very much present.

Barnes parlays that passion to the best group of ten movies he's posted yet. He has funny movies, dramatic ones and thinking-man favorites. It's - and I can't believe I'm saying this - a really good set of films.

Enjoy.




Barnes #50: She's All That
SEEN IT AND DISLIKED IT

Barnes calls this movie "a good watch." It isn't.

He says "the plot is pretty good as well." It's not.

"It's not overly corny or stupid." It is.

Usually it's this type of film that I would label Barnes' Stupid Pick of The Week. A movie that has no business being in the top-5000 let alone top-50. That's not the case here, because I have a history with She's All That, and despite it being a horrible - and I mean horrible - film, it's one I cannot condemn.

Everyone has a first love. I found mine in Kindergarten. To my amazement, by 7th grade we were dating and the very first movie we saw together was this one. I still think of her whenever I see this film or when I hear the song "Kiss Me."

So I can't possibly make fun of a movie that gets me to smile every time I hear it referenced. Well done Barnes, even if it is a crappy movie.

Barnes #49: 500 Days of Summer
SEEN IT AND LOVED IT

Absolutely love this film. Excellent choice by Barnes. Without question the best choice he's made thus far.

This movie is funny, is thought-provoking, is unique, and is truthful. It really does shed some light on modern-day relationships.

A+ for Barnes here.

Barnes #48: Air Force One
SEEN IT AND LIKED IT

While Air Force One might not be one of my favorite films and while Harrison Ford is one of my least-favorite actors, I appreciate this movie because of one major reason ... the plot.

From a writer's standpoint, this movie is a big winner because the plot-line offers so much. What if the President's plane was hijacked? What if the President had to stop being the President because his family was in trouble? What if the United States needed the President more than his family?

There's so much going on with this plot that it's actually a little inspiring. Everything about this movie is decent, but the plot-line is tremendous.

Barnes #47: Tin Cup
SEEN IT AND LOVED IT

My #56 movie is Barnes #47. At this point I feel we've said all there is to say about Tin Cup. Excellent movie and another excellent choice by Barnes

Barnes #46: Groundhog Day
SEEN IT AND OKAY'D IT

Have only ever watched this movie on television and every time I see it I usually find myself chuckling ... not full fledged laughing, but chuckling all the same.

Bill Murray is a really funny guy and it's a shame he's only made two cameo appearances on my list. My favorite Murray performance might just be in Stripes, but he's solid again here in Groundhog Day.

Barnes is right, it is a very creative plot and Murray - just like this pick by Barnes - is a solid addition.

Barnes #45: Wedding Crashers
SEEN IT AND LOVED IT

Kevin and I watched this movie practically by ourselves our Freshman year at Ohio University in the Athena. We had no idea if it was going to be any good or not, so it was a pleasant surprise when we walked away nearly in tears from laughing so much.

This movie just missed out on my list. It was one of the final films I had to cut, so I was glad to see Barnes not only include it but give it such a lofty ranking.

"I never know what she is doing back there."

Barnes #44: Liar Liar
SEEN IT AND DISLIKED IT

Second Jim Carrey film for Barnes as he put Ace Ventura Pet Detective on his list a couple weeks ago. As for me, I much rather prefer Ace Ventura to Liar Liar.

Don't get me wrong, there are some very funny moments as Jim Carrey normally produces, but kind of like The Girl Next Door, I felt as if Liar Liar had an identity crisis.

They could have gone way over-the-top with this movie, but made it semi-dramatic, which cost it some points. I get that they were trying to appeal to a broader audience and wanted the family to go and see it, but it just didn't work for me.

Barnes #43: Inception
SEEN IT AND LOVED IT

Count me as one of the people who continually hounded Barnes to go and see this movie. Looked like it made quite the early impact, as it went all the way up to #43 after just one viewing.

Barnes doesn't do stock up/down, but I'm willing to bet if he did, this one would be a stock up option. It's too good not to. Great pick.

Barnes #42: Knocked Up
SEEN IT AND LIKED IT

Knocked Up is funny and a nice movie to watch on a rainy day. I like it but I don't love it. It does have plenty of laugh-out-loud moments and a good-number of one-liners, but it's a film that never really resonated with me.

Not really surprised Barnes loved it as I do know a lot of people do, but it's not one of my personal favorites.

Barnes #41: Four Brothers
SEEN IT AND LIKED IT

Had a strong suspicion this movie would make it onto Barnes' list at some point, but as the weeks passed that suspicion slowly dissolved. I didn't think it would nearly crack his top-40.

Barnes is accurate when he calls the acting bad ... it's awful. But the story-line holds interest throughout because it's constantly moving ... not a lot of slow moments.

Kind of like Knocked Up, Four Brothers is a nice film to watch on a rainy day.

RECAP

As I said in the beginning, this is by-far my favorite batch Barnes has produced. Hopefully this is a sign of an upcoming trend, although at this point I think I could predict about half of his final 40 movies, and maybe even more.

If I were ranking these movies this is how it would look.

1) Inception
2) 500 Days of Summer
3) Tin Cup
4) Wedding Crashers
5) Knocked Up
6) Four Brothers
7) Groundhog Day
8) Air Force One
9) Liar Liar
10) She's All That

Make sure to come back on Monday as I unveil movies ranked #40-31. Giddy up.

Until next time, "read it, roll it, hole it."

No comments: