Sunday, August 28, 2011

KOA's 100 Films: Rapid Reaction to Barnes' 40-31

By: Luke Florence

Follow-ups are hard to get right. Ask 50 Cent, the producers of movies such as Major League and Pirates of the Caribbean, or Cadillac Williams how hard it is to produce quality material the second time around.

This is what Matt Barnes was up against this week. After last week when Barnes put together the best set of movies to date, he was faced with the gigantic task of trying to keep that momentum going. He responded by posting three movies already seen on my list, a couple solid additions and a ridiculous film about a gigantic terrorizing snake.

Enjoy.




Barnes #40: John Q
SEEN IT AND LIKED IT

Had to watch this movie in one of my all-time least-favorite classes at Ohio University. Sociology 101:Intro. Hated the professor, hated our assignments, and hated everything else. But the one positive out of that class was getting the opportunity to watch this film.

I love Denzel just as much as Barnes does, but disagree with him a bit when he suggests that Denzel breaks away from his "one-trick-pony" status with John Q. He is still very much a bad-ass in this movie, but he showcases a softer-side as well.

Good movie and a good pick by Barnes.

Barnes #39: Old School
SEEN IT AND LOVED IT

Barnes #39 is my #49. Much like Tin Cup the previous week there really isn't too much more to say.

"Well, Columbus wasn't looking for America, my man, but that turned out to be pretty okay for everyone."

Barnes #38: Good Will Hunting
SEEN IT AND LOVED IT

It's movies like this one that are rehabilitating Barnes' list from selections like Jungle 2 Jungle and One Fine Day.

Was actually pretty surprised to see Good Will Hunting on Barnes' list because it's a movie I had no idea he'd actually seen before. However, I was not surprised to see it this high on his list after just one viewing because this movie is that good.

I feel like Barnes is following-up last week with another strong showing this week. I wonder what could derail it?? ......

Barnes #37: Anaconda
HAVEN'T SEEN IT AND DON'T WANT TO

...... How about a gigantic terrorizing snake?? Yep, that could do it.

I honestly thought Barnes might put this movie on his list because I can remember him talking back in the day about how much he liked it. He loved the fact that a black, a Hispanic, and a white person all survived.

But, as the list continued I figured there would be no way it would show up ... I was wrong.

Having never seen this movie I can only go by the trailer and what Barnes says. Well, the trailer is spectacularly bad and Barnes doesn't do enough to sway me to actually watch it, so I will leave you with the tag-line for Barnes' Stupid Pick of The Week.

"If you can't breathe, you can't scream." (Or say how awful this movie is either)

Barnes #36: Training Day
SEEN IT AND LOVED IT

This week I referred to "The Dude" from The Big Lebowski being one of the most memorable movie characters. Well, put Alonzo Harris from Training Day in the same category.

Denzel Washington is unbelievable in this movie, has one of the best monologues I can ever remember seeing, and definitely deserved the Oscar he took home.

Best way to recover from a crappy movie is putting an excellent one right after it.

Barnes #35: American History X
SEEN IT AND LOVED IT

Don't know how in all of our discussions and arguments Barnes and I have never mentioned this movie. Especially since we both thought highly enough of it to put it on our lists. Barnes likes it a little bit more than I did and ranked it 30 spots higher on his.

Either way, it's a terrific movie and one definitely worth watching if you have not. But Barnes is right, you need to have an open mind going in, otherwise it won't have nearly the same impact.

Barnes #34: The 40-Year-Old Virgin
SEEN IT AND LIKED IT

Go see what I wrote for Knocked Up and that's exactly how I feel about 40-Year-Old Virgin. It's a funny movie with lots of great one-liners but as a movie I just didn't feel like it was great. Steve Carell is excellent as the lead while the supporting cast (which includes Paul Rudd and Seth Rogen) are solid as well.

But I thought the movie was a bit long and the plot seemed to drag at different moments. Maybe this is just me nit-picking a bit, maybe it's showing I've matured a bit in my comedic tastes, or maybe I just didn't laugh enough watching it.

And yes I laugh every time I see/hear a Michael McDonald song.

Barnes #33: The Waterboy
SEEN IT AND OKAY'D IT

Barnes and I had a discussion last week over breakfast about when the truly last funny Adam Sandler movie came out. We came to varying conclusions so I'll pose the question again. What is Sandler's most recent funny film??

Big Daddy has it's moments, and so does Funny People and this movie The Waterboy. But none really make me laugh as much as Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore did. Honestly, I think the answer might be The Wedding Singer as sad as that is.

Barnes #32: Space Jam
SEEN IT AND LOVED IT

Feels like it's been a while since we've seen an animated movie crack Barnes' list. Have no qualms with Space Jam obviously because his #32 was my #64. Well done Barnes.

Barnes #31: Inglourious Basterds
SEEN IT AND OKAY'D IT

Gonna take a wild guess and say Jeff Hirz had something to do with Barnes watching this movie. Just seems like the type of movie Hirz would enjoy.

I've only watched IB once and it was at my brother Josh's request. I asked if I would have to read a bunch during the movie and he said no. He lied. And while IB is a decent film I was upset at my brother for not properly preparing me.

Barnes is right though about Christoph Waltz. He is phenomenal in this movie and definitely deserved the Oscar he took home. His performance alone makes this movie worth watching.

RECAP

In no way is this a major let-down from his previous week, as it's a solid addition to a list that has gotten progressively better. Here is how I would rank these films.

1) Good Will Hunting
2) Training Day
3) Old School
4) Space Jam
5) American History X
6) The 40-Year-Old Virgin
7) John Q
8) Inglourious Basterds
9) The Waterboy
10) Anaconda

Make sure to check back on Monday as we unveil our last-ever group of ten films which will leave us with just 20 to go.

Until next time, "read it, roll it, hole it."

No comments: