Sunday, September 13, 2009

2009 NFL ATS Pick 'Em: Week One QOTW

By: Luke Florence

After watching the 2009 Cleveland Browns look like the 2008 Cleveland Browns, it got me thinking. Is our pick 'em league exactly the same as last year's? Isn't the idea to grow, to learn, and to adapt? I think it is. So, with that point in mind, I thought I would add some new wrinkles to our format.

1) First and foremost, instead of posting the league's standings on my sidebar, I will do a separate post for our standings. Sometimes it will just be your name and your record, but every once in a while I will add a comment, or maybe throw in a theme of my choosing for everyone.

2) Every week, typically on Monday, I will post the top ten Quotes Of The Week (QOTW). If you have THE QOTW, then you are in the running for Quote Of The Year.

3) Staying on topic, the weekly ranking (1-10) of the quotes will also have significant meaning. I will be giving a number of points depending on where your quote landed from 1-10. If you have the #1 QOTW, then you will receive 10 points. If you have the #2 QOTW, then you will get nine. Etc, etc. At the end of the year, the person with the most points will take home the 2009 Bill Walton Award (for most memorable quotes). Best of luck.

4) Replacing the overall standings on the sidebar will be the standings for various awards. The Gus Johnson Award will be updated on the sidebar so you know where you stand. Same deal for the special columns, and the special picks. All of this will be found on my sidebar, starting on Tuesday.

5) Still debating on whether I need to limit the number of comments I post each week. Here are the two sides, and I could use your help determining what I do for future weeks.

Side A: This league would not function without its' members commenting on games and providing an opportunity for me to respond. It makes this league unique, and if someone takes the time to write comments, I should post them.

Side B: In 2007, when there were only eight members, Side A made sense. Two years later this league has more than tripled in size, and the sheer weight of the comments makes the weekly columns hard to read. I should take all the comments, choose certain ones, and go from there. The columns would be shorter, and more enjoyable.

Please help me settle this conundrum. I would like to hear from everyone so I can make the best possible decision.

On to the good stuff.
Top Ten Week One Quotes
10-tie) "I trust the Indy defense about as much as I trust Michael Jackson's doctor with my medications, or Donte Stallworth with my Bentley, or a mask to protect me from H1N1 virus, or Bernard Madoff with my money, or the screen name ‘iswearimnotchrishansenbutiam14’ in a chat room." - Kevin Hunt.

10-tie) "Indy is lucky that J'Ville didn't exist since they're miserable in the game. Jeff George still thinks he's a better QB than Peyton. In other news, Rickey Henderson just beat Usain Bolt in a 100 meter dash." - Nick Lay.

9) "I'm predicting the pre season long touchdown-less streak continues in week one for Buffalo. Who really thinks an aging prima-donna receiver takes them to the promised land? All that snow and Scott Norwood sadness has them losing their minds in Buffalo." - Chris Woodard.

8) “Question: if Michael Vick gets two years in jail for fighting dogs and LeGarrette Blount gets suspended for the season for punching a Bronco, what kind of punishment does Adrian Peterson get for making the Dawg Pound collectively sick to their stomachs?" - Jason Fazzone.

7) "I've learned two things since I moved to Cincinnati, Ochocinco doesn't mean 85 and I hate the Bengals." - Erik Smith.

6) "Your momma's so ugly she makes Al Davis look like his name should be nicknamed, ‘Mc Wet Dreamy.’" - Kevin Hunt.

5) "While conventional wisdom suggests that Barry Sanders defeats all, choosing between Rodney Peete and Andre Ware all but eliminates the goodness that he brings to the game. The Saints also had Ironhead Heyward, who introduced me to the loofah with his Zest commercials back in the day." - Nick Lay.

4) "You know how in Madden franchises, you can trade your first round pick for a team's first, second and third round picks? And you know how you thought that wasn't realistic? Well, it is. Al Davis is the computer owner of every team in Madden when you have a franchise." - Brian Boesch.

3) "'The Way You Make Me Feel' - This is just the start of what will be an overload of NFC East games that I will be forced to watch on FOX. How does that make me feel? Like punching Joe Buck in the face." - Matt Barnes.

2) "Tennessee suits up Andrea McNulty against Roethlisberger and he denies he ever played against her." - Jeff Normand.

1) "Picking the 49ers was cheating. Virtual Jerry Rice was about as stoppable as Bart's anus after 20 volcano tacos." - Nick Lay.

Congratulations to those who made the top ten this week, and best of luck to those who didn't. This was not an easy week for narrowing down top comments. Point totals will be updated on the sidebar, so you can see right where you stand.

A special congratulations to Nick Lay for not only having the Quote Of The Week, but for having two other comments qualify. Add a solid week of picking thus far (9-5) and Lay has made his impression on this league already. Makes up a little bit for that pitiful second half display of our Browns.

Hope you will enjoy our new format as much as I will.

The key to change is to let go of fear.

Until next time, "read it, roll it, hole it."

No comments: