Thursday, September 17, 2009

2009 NFL ATS Pick 'Em: Week Two

By: Luke Florence

This is the time of the year where half of the NFL teams are hitting the proverbial panic button and the other half are ready for the Super Bowl. It's easy to understand the quick over-reaction. Everyone has been waiting for football since January. This was our first glimpse. But, it's important to remember - it's just a glimpse.

No one is going 16-0 (except the 2007 New England Patriots) and no one is going 0-16 (except the 2008 Detroit Lions and maybe the 2009 St. Louis Rams). The best league members know this and try not to base their decisions on a week-to-week basis.

Last year the Oakland Raiders got shellacked 41-14 to open up the season. The next week they won on the road 23-8. In 2008, the Washington Redskins looked miserable in week one, losing 16-7. One week later they turned it around and won 29-24. On the other hand, the Atlanta Falcons won their season-opener last season by 13 points, but laid an egg in week two, losing by 15.

It's too early to tell, and the lesson learned is that it's a long road to ruin.

HOUSTON @ TENNESSEE (-7.5)

If this was a week one spread, the no-brainer pick would be Houston. That’s why I’m going with Houston. Still too early to tell how good these teams are, and I’m not taking an 0-1 team to win by more than a touchdown.

MY PICK: HOU (+7.5)

Barnes: “’Survivor‘: Who cares who will actually win this game. What I'm worried about is if Gus Johnson will survive the full game? He about busted a lung in the Cincy/Denver fiasco!” Matt Barnes DOES return with a theme for week two. This week it is reality television shows. I’m still not sure how he is going to keep this up for the entire season.

Lay: “Vince Young took Steve McNair's two youngest sons to "Daddy Day" or something of that nature at their school this week. Karma says that generous deed will lead the Titans to victory. Karma also says that if you cheat on the woman who bore your four children that you will get shot multiple times by your 20-year old girlfriend.” Welcome back Nick Lay. No theme this week for Lay, but as you can see, he has a full slate of hilarious comments. It’s almost to the point now where I don’t even have to write QOTW contender on them. It’s just assumed.

Brian: “We are one loss away from another year of Houston being terrible during the first half of the season and then taking off in the second half. I'm going to say it won't happen, despite the joke of an effort last week against Sanchise (hate that nickname) and the Jets.”
Houston dropped a couple of easy interceptions that would have changed the game. Again, I just feel this Texans team has 8-8 written all over it.

Kevin: “Plan on seeing another close game. Titans will likely cover against good teams and not against the ‘lesser’ teams this season. This is NOT a vote of confidence for the Texans. Plus, Gus Johnson is calling this game, which means, more often than not, it will be a close one.” Kevin owes this league and its’ commissioner a big thank-you. Sending his comments in at nearly 2:00 AM EST. I guess you can bend the deadlines for the two-time Gus Johnson champion.

Woody: “Tough week one loss, team looks better than expected, but could have used a few Warren Moon to Haywood Jefferies connections to seal the deal. I guess I'll have to settle for Collins to Gage, ouch.” Really thought Woody would reference how the former Houston Oilers were playing the new team in Houston. I’m a little disappointed.

Reamer: “Does Houston bounce back and keep most people's sleeper from going 0-2, or do the Titans come in on ten days rest after losing to Shits-burg and get back on track.” Would like to welcome Jamie Reamer to the comment section after a one-week absence. Glad he could make it.

Hug: “Bad Houston was in full form last Sunday, and it doesn't get any easier in Tennessee.”
But will they play ‘good’ enough to cover?

Fiz: “Can't spell Houston Texans without ‘heat,’ and that's what Gary Kubiak is feeling after his team's mediocre showing last week against the Jets. The Titans turn that heat up a little more after a convincing, bounce-back victory at home.” Even when things were going well for Tennessee, they usually never blew opponents out.

Jeff: “Tennessee should have beat Pittsburgh. Now they should have a much easier time with Houston.”
Aw yes, the shoulda-coulda factor. Spoken like a true Browns fan.

CAROLINA @ ATLANTA (-6.5)

I’m still holding out hope for Carolina. They did win 12 games last year and didn’t really lose that much. Well, they kept Jake Delhomme, so that’s subtraction by addition.

Let the Jake Delhomme bashing commence.

MY PICK: CAR (+6.5)

Lay: “Jake Delhomme:football what Roseanne Arnold:erections.” Let’s see if I can try this. Jake Delhomme:quarterbacks what O.J. Simpson:black people. Too soon?

Barnes: “’Extreme Makeover‘: Ever since Mike Smith took over this team, the Falcons have taken a 180. Meanwhile, the Panthers may be in in need of one after Delhomme's Akili Smith-like performance.”
Really thought you were going to include a Steve Smith calling Delhomme “ugly” when I read Extreme Makeover, but it is well done without.

Woody: “Two words: Jake … Delhomme.” Two more words: Bill … Cowher.

Kevin: “Ballbuster Pick of the Week: Taking game number two simply because it's week two. And since today is the 20th, I'm taking the team with the #20 that I like the best. For Atlanta, I've never heard of Brent Grimes. But, he didn't go to Ohio State like Chris Gamble did. So gimme the Falcons. Thanks goodness I don't have to root for Jake ‘Of the Man’ this week.” My only Chris Gamble memory was when he single-handedly defeated Larry Johnson and the Penn State Nittany Lions. It was the one-and only-time I’ve stepped inside Ohio Stadium.

Reamer: “Jake Delhomme looked so bad the Panthers signed A.J. Feeley to save the day if he has another Charlie Frye moment.”
Reamer is not done with ex-Browns QB references. Stay tuned.

Brian: “Atlanta played a playoff team last year who will be terrible this year in week one (Miami). Carolina is probably the best candidate to earn this title in the NFC. And by the way, Carolina needs to change their logo, jerseys or something. They were awesome in the mid-90s. Now, they look terrible.” I blame Jake Delhomme. Everything he touches turns into poison.

Jeff: “Delhomme got a contract extension for that output last week? Go celebrate with Donte Stallworth!” Don’t forget to invite Braylon Edwards. He always likes to “drop” in on those parties. Pun.

Hug: “I like Atlanta here, but it is hard to believe Carolina could play any worse than they did last wek. Did you see this comment, Steve Smith to Jake Delhomme: ‘I like you as a person, but not as a quarterback.’ I'll second that notion.”
And Steve Smith has a QOTW possibility.

Fiz: “Kanye West interrupts a Panthers drive just to tell Jake Delhomme that West had the bigger fall from grace in 2009.”
QOTW contender for Fiz due to his ability to combine the two biggest ‘worst week ever’ performers into a one-sentence comment.

MINNESOTA (-9.5) @ DETROIT

If I were a braver man I would take Detroit. Not … gonna … happen.

MY PICK: MIN (-9.5)

Brian: “When AP was with Oklahoma during the '07 Fiesta Bowl, he scored on the first play in OT against Boise State. Then we all remember the rest (gimmick plays, Broncos won the game, blah blah blah). Well you know why Chris Petersen went for two in the first overtime? Because Adrian Peterson would have just ran the next play for a TD in double OT. That's what happened when he had that amazing run against the Browns week one. He was not going to be stopped ... by anyone. He could have broken a tackle from Shaun Rogers. After seeing that, there is no way I can pick the Lions, or AP will find me and throw me like he threw Eric Wright last week.” In all my time watching Browns games, I’ve only seen one runner come close to the performance AP displayed last week. No, not Jamal Lewis. None other than LaDainian Tomlinson on October 19th, 2003. In person - for my first Browns game - I watched LT carry the ball 26 times and pick up 200 yards on the ground, including a spectacular 70 yard run for a touchdown.

Lay: “If Minnesota is ‘14’ (really 21) points better than Cleveland on the road, they have to be 10 points better than Detroit on the road. Right? If you apply this transitive property to the Bengals, they've won 40 Super Bowls since their inception.” If you talk to some Bengals fans, they actually believe they’ve won that many Super Bowls … in the last five years.

Barnes: “’Biggest Loser’ - I'm enjoying this Detroit Lions losing streak. Every game is like watching Charlie Brown trying to kick the football. They run in with such confidence just to see Lucy pull the ball away. Damn shame.” Thought I was going to hear a Brad Childress remark with the Biggest Loser. But I guess he’s not that BIG. Romeo Crennel would have worked a lot better in retrospect.

Shane: “Brett Favre sucks, he's terrible. I got to watch it first hand last Sunday. The Vikings are screwed as long as he is their quarterback, they just happened to draw the best early season schedule in the league.” As I was watching another pathetic Browns home opener, I felt bad for Shane being up there, because I know the feeling. At least it didn’t rain on you Shane like it did with me and Lucius two years ago against Pittsburgh.

Kevin: “I saw what Peterson did to the Browns. I know what possibilities lie ahead for the Lions. And didn't they have to sell their tickets for like $3 to fill the stadium and avoid a blackout? They didn't? Well, that's the story I'm going by. AT LEAST WE'RE NOT DETROIT! WE'RE NOT DETROIT!” You, me, and every other Browns fan are going to be sweating continually if the Lions are winless and facing the Browns in a couple of weeks.

Woody: “This rolling with the underdogs thing worked last week.”
Except with Detroit.

Reamer: “AP versus Detroit = no brainer pick of the week.” The Lions did play the Vikings close not once, but twice last year.

Hug: “Only nine-and-a-half for this line? Interesting. I hate to say it but Brett Favre doesn't really have to do much in Minnesota's offense, and he gained a few points back in his Sears' commercials.”

Um, do you mean this one?



Those guys drive me crazy.

Fiz: “Jim Schwartz's defense made a lot of fantasy owners happy last week. The trend continues Sunday.”
See my response to Reamer’s comment.

Jeff: “Another perfect season in Detroit?” Well, they do play Cleveland AND Cincy this year.

ARIZONA @ JACKSONVILLE (-3.5)

Taking four consecutive road teams? That spells doom. Or tremendous success. Emphasis on the former.

MY PICK: ARI (+3.5)

Barnes: “’Flavor of Love’ - You know that clock Flava Flav wears? It's the countdown clock of Kurt Warner's career and/or Jack Del Rio's time on the sideline.” Another QOTW contender for Matt Barnes. He’s going after Gus Johnson this year.

Lay: “David Garrard would have better success throwing the ball to Keenan McCardell and Jimmy Smith (on drugs, of course) than he would throwing to his current wide receiving corps. Speaking of drugs, does anyone else find it strange that Billy Mays infomercials are running like Matt Jones from the cops? Isn't this a bit creepy? Every time I see him hawking the awesome auger all I can think of is how he probably hid his cocaine stash in his flower bed.” Maybe that’s why some plants are hard-to-reach? Mitch Hedberg?? Anyone??

Woody: “Curt Warner's wife is crazy, as crazy as picking Arizona on the road when they haven't looked good at any point through the preseason or week one this year.”
No way am I korrecting that spelling mistake. That would be krazy with a kapital K.

Reamer: “The Jags owner is already looking to next year saying he'd draft Tim Te-bag in the first round.”
Some team will draft Tebow in the first round. I’d be shocked to see him get passed by every team once.

Kevin: “Loved the way the Jags played the Colts last weekend. And weren't the Cardinals something awful in the Eastern Time Zone last year? Yeah.” I already hate my Cardinals pick. I just don’t trust Jacksonville.

Hug: “I expect Arizona to bounce back this week. They just need to keep feeding the ball to Beanie if they want to be solid in the run game. It's hard to judge Jacksonville from that Indy game.”
I don’t know much, but I know Arizona had a helluva time playing on the East Coast last year.

Shane: “What the hell is up with Timmy Hightowers receiving stats?”
The more receptions Hightower gets the less wins the Cardinals receive.

Brian: “The debut of the giant, section-size Jaguars logos all throughout the stadium! I noticed that Miami (college) did that during their game with Georgia Tech last week. Just leave them empty. Why bring attention to them? It's like a teenage girl drawing a John Madden-like circle around a giant zit and going to her first day of high school. Just don't bring attention to it. Then, people may not find out you draw (maybe) 50K per game.” Boom! Tough-actin Tinactin!

Fiz: ‘I should know better than to take the Cardinals on a cross-country trip, but I can't see them dropping two straight to mediocre teams to open the season.” Maybe it’s just me, but it doesn’t seem that difficult to imagine.

Jeff: “Must have been a great party after the Super Bowl, what a hangover Arizona had. The Jags will fix the problem.” Or, Arizona wasn’t that good, and got on a hot-streak at the right time. Either way.

OAKLAND @ KANSAS CITY (-3.5)

With a back-up QB last week, KC was still able to score 24 points against Baltimore. With Matt Cassel coming back, they should put up at least 30 at home against Oakland. Right?

MY PICK: KC (-3.5)

Lay: “Would Al Davis be an effective Middle Line-Backer? He just looks so mean. Can you imagine staring at him if you're under center? He's got to be the closest thing we've seen to Medusa since the Elephant Man.”
I don’t know much, but I know that Al Davis would have very little difficulty sacking Derek Anderson.

Barnes: “’I'm a celebrity, get me out of here’ - This game reminds me of Ronald Pittman's Info Gathering at Scripps. You're just dying to get the hell outta there with brain cells left.” Thank God I designed my 18 hole golf course instead of listening to see how Google worked.

Woody: “Oakland looked good week one but it was way more fun to watch them when Lane Kiffin was there and you knew a week long fight with Al Davis through the media was about to follow. Who refuses to quit? Those guys are battling for the title of biggest hot mess douche bag of the football world.”
And the winner is … Kanye West. Football world or otherwise.

Reamer: “This game will likely be blacked out for the poor 100 fans that want to watch it, if that many.” League member - and big Raiders fan - Eric Hug would like a word with you Reamer.

Kevin: “I do not trust one thing about this game. Not one. And I'm not sure how many things in this game are capable of trust. (Please do not re-read this comment. It will not make any more sense the second time around.)” Yes, these are my friends.

Hug: “I have this thing about picking against my team. I like to do it because usually if they lose, and the other team covers I feel okay about it. If Oakland wins, then I am just happy as a fan. If Oakland loses and covers, well then I just get pissed off. Anyway, the Raiders should win because their run offense should destroy KC's run defense, but I have to stick with my beliefs.” Unless those beliefs are mis-guided, but Hug seems to have put enough thought into it.

Shane: “What a week two match-up ... I really thought I was going to hate the Raiders, but how can you not root for this team? Especially after seeing their fans all jacked up only to see the Chargers come back and win ... priceless.” I was sweating profusely during the 4th quarter last week, because I had San Diego as my survivor league pick.

Brian: “Oakland looked surprisingly good, but was there any doubt San Diego was going to go on that winning TD drive? It's like the last putt in Happy Gilmore or the Rick Vaughn strikeout in Major League. It was almost scripted. Oh, and Matt Cassel should be back for this, so I'll take KC.” I believe that’s Mr. Gilmore’s jacket.

Fiz: “The Raiders' offense has enough busts to earn a wing in the Hall of Fame (Russell, Heyward-Bey, Gallery) but the defense should keep this game close enough for the Raiders to cover.” I’ll give you Gallery - and maybe Russell - but we haven’t seen enough of Heyward-Bey yet. One game? Really?

Jeff: “Maybe Oakland will be better than I thought … NAH!” They still know how to lose football games.

NEW ORLEANS @ PHILADELPHIA (-0.5)

Don’t care whether it’s McNabb or Kolb. (It will be Kolb) I’m going with the home team for two reasons. One, they are the better team. And two, New Orleans has trouble of playing well on the road, and stringing back-to-back games together.

MY PICK: PHI (-0.5)

Lay: “Philly's week one performance should be tossed since they scored 152 points off of turnovers. Vic Vinegar and Hugh Honey don't agree with this pick.” I challenge you to a duel.

Brian: “This may be the biggest turnaround in defensive performance ever. Going from Jake Delhomme to Drew Brees. Like going from putt-putt to Augusta. Plus, the Eagles don't have their driver (Donovon McNabb). Instead of Kevin Kolb, they should see what Joe Walsh is up to. I think the Saints win fairly convincingly.” Or like going from dating Jessica Biel to Cloris Leachman.

Barnes: “"The Amazing Race" - There will be plenty of points scored in this one. No detours, road blocks or U-Turns though. First one to 35 wins.” One of my favorite Zach Galifianakis jokes is about The Amazing Race. “Is that show about white people?” Also thought we might see a Kevin Kolb-Donovan McNabb reference. Oh well.

Kevin: “The Eagles lost their QB, they didn't lose their defense. I'm also taking the under on 45 minutes of play before the fans are chanting for Jeff Garcia. Which is a longer amount of time than anyone in Cleveland chanted for Jeff Garcia. Except when he threw that 99 yard TD pass.” Garcia’s next pass in that contest? An interception, which was returned for a TD. God bless Cleveland.

Woody: “May the power of the greasy hair be with Drew Brees one more week. My vote is for him to shave the sides and go straight mullet. Think Don Majkowski. Throw in a Jeff Query and you have the greatest mullet-to-mullet combo ever. I've now totally disrespected the Saints who had the best week one passing effort by far. Oh, and how ever will the Eagles survive without Playboy Kendra baby daddy?” How about a marathon of “Girl’s Next Door?”

Reamer: “Drew Brees well make Philly miss B-Dawk patrolling the secondary.” New Orleans hasn’t had a problem with their offense in a while, it’s the defense that’s always been the question. They didn’t look that impressive last week, giving up nearly 30 against Detroit.

Hug: “Will McNabb play? Is the Saints offense that good? It is hard to say here. All I know is I hate Philadelphia sports teams and their fans.” Let me try to help. First question - no. Second - yes. Why all the hate?

Shane: “Drew Brees ... lots of Drew Brees.”
You have to wonder if San Diego would have done things differently if they knew what they know now.

Fiz: “McNabb or Kolb, I'm not sure it matters. This isn't the Detroit Lions defense that Drew Brees is facing, and I think the Eagles will do enough to earn the win.”
Another point to remember, New Orleans played awful on the road last season. Detroit Lions-bad.

Jeff: “No McNabb means no win, even with him this could be tough.”
Don’t sleep on Philly’s defense. They could be a huge factor.

CINCINNATI @ GREEN BAY (-9.5)

Not taking the Bengals. No chance.

MY PICK: GB (-9.5)

Lay: “The Bengals don't gift wrap victories like Jake Delhomme does. They find ways to lose. Completely different.”
The fact that Marvin Lewis is not on a hot-seat continues to amaze AND entertain me.

Barnes: “’Fear Factor’ - I'm legitimately scared to see how the Bengals will lose this game. Maybe pull a Dwayne Rudd in 2002? That will always be a classic loss for me.” How DARE you use a Cleveland Browns past game to refer to a Cincinnati Bengals future contest. Although it would be fun to be on the opposite side of one of those.

Woody: “Nine-and-a-half is quite a bit as sketchy as the offense looked in week one. Let's hope Rodgers learned his lesson, can grow facial hair much faster than Hunt, and has the porn star stash back for week two.” You and me both.

Shane: “How did Aaron Rodgers not end up in Skip Bayless's Top 5 Best Looking Quarterbacks?” Let’s all take a second and welcome Shane Kline to the QOTW contender group.

Kevin: “Really think this line should have been Ocho point Cinco.” According to Smitty, Ocho Cinco doesn’t mean 85. I’m trying to learn.

Brian: “HAHAHAHA. Great job Bungles. It's tough to put me in a good mood for the 4:15 games when the Browns lose at 1, but Cincy did it. It's tough to give millions of dollars to a guy with man boobs, but Cincy did it. It's tough to give up a touchdown pass to Kyle Orton, but Cincy did it. What more can the Bengals do this week? I can't wait to find out.”
Just for the record, that was the longest game-winning touchdown - in regulation - with less than one minute to go. Ladies and gentlemen … the 2009 Cincinnati Bengals!

Reamer: “I think the Packers win, but not by 10 points. Cincy played a little defense last week for a change and they have the offensive weapons to put some points on the board.” For the second time in three years, I have no idea what to make of this Packers team.

Hug: “Green Bay showed some signs of improved defense, of course they had a lot of help from Cutler. Even so, they look to be a more dynamic team this year, but you know Cincinnati will be hungry after last week's debacle.” Or the Bengals will be heartbroken, devastated and deflated.

Fiz: “Both teams were in dramatic finishes last week. The Packers won't leave much doubt in this game.” It’s a week-to-week league, especially the first two months.

Jeff: “I should have said the Bengals were my sleeping team - not sleeper team - what a nightmare last week. I LOVE IT!” That Bengals loss hurt so bad, our lone Cincy fan didn’t share a single comment this week. Impressive.

ST. LOUIS @ WASHINGTON (-10.5)

The 2nd edition of the “Not Going To Watch Even Though I Have Sunday Ticket.”

MY PICK: STL (+10.5)

Brian: “It's time for the F'd Up Pick of the Week. The random card of the week was eight (again), so we're choosing St. Louis-Washington the F'd Up way, which is fine by me. I wasn't really confident in either team. I probably would have taken Washington, but St. Louis, as bad as they looked week one, really can't be THAT bad (in reality, they really might be that bad, or worse).

So I'll be rooting for the 'Skins, but not that passionately. Maybe I can get Dan Snyder to pay me off to assure a victory for Washington. His wallet has no end.

Here goes nothing (road team goes first):

Roll #1: I was worried I may turn over two blank cards when St. Louis was up first...they are more than qualified to score a 0 in this. But, not only did they score, they took the early lead. 10 for STL, 6 for WSH.
Roll #2: Big differential in round two...only 4 for the Rams, 11 for the Redskins. 17-14 WSH.
Roll #3: Rams went for two and got it...Skins went conventional with just an extra point. 24-22 Skins.
Roll #4: Another one-point win for STL. 9-8 in the round, 32-31 for WSH.
Roll #5: Third straight time the Rams win by one. By the way, the last time the Rams won a one-point football game, Kurt Warner was at the helm. October 14, 2001. 15-14 over the Giants. Their third-straight one-point win here ties the game. 6-5 in the round, 37 all at the half.
Roll #6: The Rams take the lead! 8-6 on roll 6, and STL has their first lead since the first roll. Pretty incredible because the Rams have won every roll but one thus far (roll #2). 45-43 STL.
Roll #7: All square on this roll...each getting an 8. We're bracing ourselves for a classic Redskins-Rams classic in Athens, Ohio. 53-51 Rams.
Roll #8: 7-5 Rams in the round...now 60-56 in a low-scoring affair. Still no doubles at all in this game.
Roll #9: Skins pull to within three as we get ready for the final round. 7-6 in roll #9. 66-63 going into the final round.
Roll #10: OK, Dan Snyder...now's the time to pay me off. Steve Spagnuolo is looking for his first 'W'. He will get the game dice if he wins. Here goes...a 9 for St. Louis! Wow! It means WSH needs to double up in some way to stay alive. Double 6s guarantees a win. Here goes nothing, Jason Campbell. And after all the buildup, the Skins can only muster a 4.

The final is 75-67 in favor of the St. Louis Rams. Hopefully that bodes well for Steven Jackson in my fantasy league.”
When Brian sends me his picks, I scroll to where this F’d Up Game of the Week is, and I only allow myself to read one roll at a time. It’s riveting, heart-pounding, and an absolute blast. God do I love the F’d Up Tourney.

Barnes: “’America's Got Talent’ - Unfortunately, these teams weren't lucky to get any of that talent.” Hate the show and I hate this game.

Lay: “Present-day Mark Rypien could throw at least two touchdowns to Art Monk against this St. Louis squad. Not surprising considering he led the 1994 Browns to the playoffs. (This statement is disputable at best. His QB rating was 24 points higher than Eric Metcalf and Michael Jackson's. They combined to complete zero passes.)”
Rypien’s last touchdown pass was to Irving Fryar in 1996. He came on to relieve Ty Detmer. Detmer would go on to start in the first game of the new Cleveland Browns. It's like a carousel. You put the quarter in, you get on the horse, it goes up and down, and around. Circular, circle. Feel it. Go with the flow.

Woody: “Washington isn't good enough to be favored by this many are they?” This spread has nothing to do with Washington, and everything to do with St. Louis.

Reamer: “The Redskins might not score ten points to cover, but neither will the Rams.” St. Louis looked like the worst team in the league last week. Only time will tell if they actually are or not.

Hug: “This seems like a lot of points for a team like Washington, but this has a feeling of consecutive shutouts for the Rams.” I wonder if the Browns record for consecutive quarters (20+) without a touchdown is in jeopardy.

Fiz: “Thank God I don't have to watch this game.” You know, every time I thought a game would be boring last season it turned out to be a terrific game. However, I don’t see that happening here.

Jeff: “The game of the day … to forget. I will take the points. It could be a scoreless tie.” Spoken like a true ATS veteran.

NEW ENGLAND (-5.5) @ NEW YORK JETS

Why am I taking all these road teams? This is not good.

MY PICK: NE (-5.5)

Barnes: “'The Mole’ - I'm convinced NE has a mole on every team in the NFL to assure them of great finishes. That or they spy on teams. Oh wait …” Why won’t they bring that show back? It was one of my highlights last summer. Even when the contestants weren’t that entertaining, it’s set-up makes it a must-watch. I’m very disappointed.

Lay: “I'm not buying into this whole Rex Ryan schtick. That Lane Kiffin guy has a solid NFL future though.” Lay just wants Rex Ryan to call his cell phone and verbally abuse him in a recorded message.

Shane: “If I had a promise's promise or a Kevin Hunt's mom whatever it is ... this would be my pick.”
How about Shane’s Slick Pick? I’m going to add this to the special picks sidebar. Best of luck.

Woody: “If a voice mailto the fans isn't enough to secure a win, or at least bust the spread, I don't know what is. I'm liking this Rex Ryan fellow more and more every time he opens his mouth.” Everyone liked Jim Mora and Herm Edwards when they were winning, but once they started losing, and they kept talking, they were seen as just that … talkers.

Kevin: “Yes, even in this match-up Brett Favre's name will be mentioned. Speaking of which, the latest report: Rex Ryan having pre-game meal with John Madden. Over on undiagnosed heart attacks: 1.5.” You throw in Romeo Crennel and you have the world’s greatest three-way. Ever.

Brian: “As much as I think the Pats should win this game, I can't pick them to cover 5.5 points after what I saw last week. And give Rex Ryan some credit ... that voicemail to all Jets season ticket holders is pretty awesome. I bet Bill Belichick doesn't know how to leave a voicemail. I bet he doesn't know what ‘season tickets’ actually means.” I remember the Pats opening a game in 2003 against Buffalo and laying a complete egg. They were shut-out 31-0. Then, the next week - on the road - against a strong Philadelphia team, they won easily 31-10. The lesson learned here is … I miss Bill Belichick.

Reamer: “I'm sold on Sanchez, but not on the Pats D. I'd take the over if I could.”
Sold on Sanchez already? After one game? I thought you were a Notre Dame fan?

Hug: "There's no way I am jumping on the Sanchez bandwagon just yet. Sure, the Patriots struggled last week, but they are still one of the better offenses in the league.” The Pats are also lucky to escape with a week one win.

Fiz: “No, the Jets won't win. But they're going to leave a lot of people impressed after what should be a very close game.” 20-14 Pats would still be close.

Jeff: “The Jets have a rough and tough attitude. I wish the Browns got Rex Ryan.”
Reports out of Cleveland indicate Randy Lerner had never heard of Rex Ryan. I could see that.

TAMPA BAY @ BUFFALO (-4.5)

So, because there is always one game I'm not sure about, I'm entrusting the Queen of Arguments - Jessica Corey - to assist yours truly. We will be calling this pick the "Frankie Boner Of The Week." This special selection is named after Jess's dog, Frankie.

MY PICK: TB (+4.5)

Brian: “I felt terrible for Buffalo after that loss. TERRIBLE. I'm so desensitized to tough sports moments that I rarely feel bad for teams and for fan bases. Plus, I met my first Bills fan last night while waiting at Big Momma's Burritos at 2 AM (and it was an attractive girl), so I feel it is an omen.”
You are so lucky Brian. The only Buffalo Bills fan I know is an ugly guy. Former league member and current Marco’s delivery driver, Michael “Monkey” Grothaus. Wanna trade Brian?

Lay: “If Buffalo doesn't cover, I'll be forced to vandalize T.O.'s house. He'll have some major issues doing crunches in his driveway when I'm done peppering it with eggs, toilet paper, and hand grenades.” Okay, the first thing I thought of after reading this was Andre Rison. Remember when his house was on fire thanks to his girlfriend, Lisa “Left-Eye” Lopes of TLC? The next year the Browns signed him, so if T.O. comes to Buffalo next year, we shouldn’t be surprised.

Barnes: “’The T.O. Show’ - Let's hope his performance on the football field Sunday is better than this show. If you haven't seen it, don't waste your time.” I actually watched about 20 minutes of that show and continued to ask myself why it was on television. It had zero entertainment value, provided nothing beneficial to society, and I actually got sick from watching it. Then I thought to myself … Luke, they continue to broadcast Cleveland Browns games.

Kevin: “Taking Buffalo as a favorite? What? No wonder I don't win these things.” Well, your first name is Kevin, and your last name is Hunt. That might be reason enough to explain your lack of winning.

Woody: “May be the last week I can go with the Bills before the T.O. destruction begins. Self disclosure, watched quite a bit of the T.O. reality show. How can a man so in love with himself have such gorgeous women believe he's really into them?” Next time I see you Woody I’ll fill you in.

Reamer: “This pick is for Devin, and for that one time letting us chuck a football at his nuts, repeatedly, after his Bucs won the Super Bowl because he was so pumped. Thanks for that memory!”
One of the worst Super Bowl’s of recent memory, but that after-game sure was entertaining.

Fiz: “Both pass defenses looked terrible last week. Problem is, neither team has a quarterback that will take advantage of that. (And yes, I did say Byron Leftwich was solid last week.)” Trent Edwards > Byron Leftwich.

Jeff: “Still don't think much of the Bills even after they played the Pats straight up.” Still think it’s the toughest game of the week to pick. Both these teams could finish from 3-8 wins, and I wouldn’t be that surprised.

SEATTLE @ SAN FRANCISCO (-1.5)

Am I trying to go 2-14 with these picks? Let’s hope that home field advantage is meaningless this week.

MY PICK: SEA (+1.5)

Lay: “The only reason I'm picking against San Francisco is because I want them to get shutout so I can read a story Monday morning about Mike Singletary pulling his pants down, pointing towards his anus, and saying that's how many points his team scored.” Didn’t Pee-Wee Herman get arrested for doing something like that?

Barnes: “'The Contender' - One of these teams will go to 2-0 and be a true contender in the NFC. Or not. I don't know. I just picked another reality show.” The NFC West just needs to go away. Quick side tangent - The Ultimate Fighter on Spike TV might be my favorite television show of the Fall. Kimbo Slice looks incredible. Love him or hate him, he makes for some good T.V.

Woody: “Still looking good for comeback team of the year and when you have a weapon as dynamic as Seneca Wallace to work into the game you are an offense to be feared. Besides with Warren Moon on the microphone how could things go wrong?” Very easily … they play in Seattle, where nothing good has come since Nirvana. Apologies to Shawn Kemp.

Reamer: “Matt Hasselbeck finally has a receiver in T.J. Whosyourmomma, but it looks like the Niners found a coach. Coin flip pick of the week = Tails (49ers).” I’m keeping track and expecting Reamer to do this every week from here on out.

Hug: “Did I say Alex Smith? I meant Nate Davis. It just shows you how much I have attention I have shown to the 49ers recently. I think Seattle will be one of the most improved teams this year. I picked them in my Survivor Pool league, and they did not disappoint.”
Who you got this week Huggy Bear? I went with the Vikings.

Kevin: “The 49ers will dominate simply because they got rid of the quarterback formerly known as JTO.” It only took until week two to pump out the first J.T. O’Sullivan mention. He still trails Warren Moon 5-1.

Brian: “The 49ers are too scared to lose under Mike Singletary. He's afraid of what face he will make. Al Davis should become the coach of the Raiders if this notion is true. Same thing for Bob Knight if the players continue to say they need to put their ‘Game Faces’ on.” Bob Knight’s Game-Face press conference might just be my all-time favorite.

Fiz: “How are the Seahawks dogs in this game? San Francisco was fortunate to escape with a win over Arizona. The Seahawks gain early control of the NFC West after this one.” Technically you are right Fiz, Seattle is the underdog, however, all things considered equal, Las Vegas will give three points to the home team. So, with that in mind, Seattle is looked upon as the better team. Thanks for listening.

Jeff: “Much better offensive talent in Seattle than in Frisco.”
Word.

BALTIMORE @ SAN DIEGO (-3.5)

Another game. Another road team. I’m done.

MY PICK: BAL (+3.5)

Barnes: “'A Shot At Love With Tila Tequila' - Or in the case of Shawne Merriman, ‘Take a shot at Tila Tequila.’ Seems fitting Ray Lewis (he killed a guy) is also playing in this game.” And the QOTW for week two goes to …

Lay: “I was doing some research on Hard Knocks. Check out a highlight from the 2001 season regarding the Ravens: ‘The quarterback competition between Elvis Grbac and Randall Cunningham.’ This was in 2001, after a Super Bowl victory! Trent Dilfer really got Munsoned. And I thought the Browns had it bad the past 10 years. I'd much rather watch Spergon Wynn and Doug Pederson duke it out than that dynamic duo.” Might be my least favorite athlete of all-time … Trent Dilfer. Hated him with the Ravens. Hated him more when he was with the Browns. Would go out of my way to run him over in my car now that he is with ESPN.

Woody: “Strictly a home team pick here. Not to mention I'm quickly becoming a believer in Darren Sproles the little nugget. Sorry Hunt, I may have a new favorite little man.” Hunt, in case you were wondering how this could possibly happen, I have the answer. Affirmative action.

Reamer: “I like the Ravens a lot, but not quite as much as the Chargers at home. Flacco will play well all year, but their defense is getting older and did give up 24 to KC.”
But their offense scored 38. If that continues they will win the AFC North.

Hug: “San Diego looked pretty pathetic against that vaunted Raider's defense, and Philip Rivers still acts like a douche. Baltimore did not fare much better, but they should be decent all-around this week.” Um, did you not see the Ravens score 38 points last week?

Brian: “Interesting game. The two LBs who put themselves in interesting legal situations are on the field at once. This one should go down to the wire.”
Got to go with another It’s Always Sunny reference on this comment … “In the eyes of the law!”

Kevin: “LT sits, Chargers lose. That's what history tells me. I mean, yeah, the record is 0-1, but it's official.”
Official like herpes.

Fiz: “San Diego looked lethargic against Oakland last week, and I don't think they'll be able to turn it on against a very strong Ravens squad.” Biggest thing working in San Diego’s favor could be L.T. not playing. Ewing Theory anyone?

Jeff: “Phillip Rivers goes Phillip Rivers and shreds an aging Baltimore defense.” For the sake of my fantasy team, I hope you are right Jeff.

PITTSBURGH (-2.5) @ CHICAGO

I think I might just take EVERY road team. Why not?

MY PICK: PIT (-2.5)

Barnes: “'American Gladiators' - Two big players/gladiators, Troy Polamalu and Brian Urlacher are out for this game. Wonder what their gladiator names would be?” I’m going to go with Asian Invasion and Whitey.

Lay: “Pittsburgh has had ten days to prepare for Rex Grossman, errrr, Jay Cutler. I like the Bears' strategy as far as picking up receivers go. It would be like Arizona dumping Anquan and Fitz for some high school dropouts that Kurt Warner worked with in the '90s at Sack 'n Save.” Rex Grossman would be mad at you Lay, but he is too busy polishing his Super Bowl MVP trophy. Just the second person ever to receive the award on the losing team, and the first person ever to receive it for helping the other team win.

Woody: “I get Chicago is at home but how is Pitt not favored by more? I'm calling a 3 pick minimum for Crybaby Cutler.” Pittsburgh is not favored by more because Las Vegas feels this is a must-win for Chicago. Beware the suspiciously low spreads. Beware.

Kevin: “Jay Cutler vs. a good defense? Jay Cutler vs. any defense right now? Show me something Jay.” Sounds like a great name for a reality TV show. Show Me Something Jay. Or a porno.

Reamer: “Jay Cutler looked like Tim Couch last week, and Urlacher's done. But the Steelers still suck.” Quick, name the last Browns QB to beat Pittsburgh. Big hunt: Reamer just named him.

Hug: “You can take the decent quarterback out of a good system, but you can't take the suck out of a Bear's quarterback. Even without Polamulu, and seven great things for his hair, Pittsburgh will do alright. ‘You asked with your eyes Trent, you asked with your eyes.’” Congrats to Huggy Bear for his first QOTW contender.

Brian: “So Jay Cutler threw four interceptions against the Packers, and now he gets the Steelers. The Bears stock is falling faster than anyone's in the league.” Somewhere Jake Delhomme is breathing a sigh of relief.

Fiz: “If this spread was 3.5, I take the Bears. Steelers eke one out.” Just like they do in the majority of their games.

Jeff: “Each team loses a star defensive player, but I think the Bears actually have a better offense. Please?” That’s a direct slap to the face of the Steelers nation. Atta boy Jeff.

CLEVELAND @ DENVER (-3.5)

Come on without. Come on within. You’ve not seen nothing like the Mighty Quinn.

MY PICK: CLE (+3.5)

Brian: “Well, we've reached the crossroads of the 2009 Cleveland Browns. With a loss, we can prepare for another 4-5 win season for the Browns. A win would keep hope alive for a possible decent season. In 2007, the Browns responded to a week one loss to PIT with a huge win at home against Cincy. Last year, the crossroad game was in Baltimore, and we laid an egg. I'm going to say the Browns stay afloat. The magic had to have run out last week for Denver, right?While I don’t believe this is a must-win game for the Browns, it would help tremendously for the remainder of the season. If they lose this game, then next week, at Baltimore, becomes a must-win.

Jeff: “Guess I am showing my age here. I was at THE DRIVE game with Elway. Memories linger still.” More like nightmares.

Lay: “Gotta go with Denver here simply because Brandon Stokely pulled off the oft-executed tippy-toe of the goal line in order to burn more time off of the clock. It would have been better had he done the Ickey Shuffle in the end zone. Also gotta go with Denver since they're playing the Browns. I'm taking a car bomb for every offensive TD they score this year, I'm going to be drunk by the time Kanye interrupts Taylor Swift's granddaughter's acceptance speech at the 2059 Kids' Choice Awards.” Everyone does this in Madden, but no one does it in real games. Until now. Don’t lie. Next time you do this in a video game, you will think of Stokely.

Kevin: “Brady Quinn can't throw deep? He probably can in lighter air. That, coupled with the fact that Kyle Orton plays for the Broncos, and I'm all good. Plus, I can't take the idea that the Browns are worse than the Bengals.” You and me both.

Woody: “Sorry fellas, can't go with the Brownies every week. I figure I can pick them on the weekends I will be in town to watch the game at the Hunt/Florence residence. Not to mention I sold out for Braylon and all he's done to repay me is run out of bounds on a great Brady Quinn throw and tease me.” Well played.

Barnes: “'Last Comic Standing' -Which of these two teams/jokes will be the last team standing? Pigs must have learned to fly cause I'm picking Cleveland.” Is Josh Blue still alive?

Reamer: “Hopefully the Browns can play the way they did in the first half versus the Vikings, and if they do they beat Chewy's Broncos led by the fearless Kyle Orton by twenty. Brady! Brady! Brady!” Hope and Browns usually don’t go well together.

Shane: “I've learned never to bet with my heart on the Brownies, but I actually think they win this one.” Or, just lose by a field goal. That would work as well. Don’t want to get greedy.

Hug: “What do I do here? Denver's defense looks solid, but then again it was the Bengals. Oh and how about Gus Johnson on that hail-mary call Sunday? The Browns, tough loss last week. I am really at a toss up for this game.” Thanks to Sunday Ticket, we were able to watch the Gus Johnson call live, and it might be the most memorable moment of the entire year. Hard to top. Gus improved his seeding for the F’d Up Tourney with that one.

Fiz: “With the history these teams have against each other, I would not have been surprised if last week's ending happened in this week's game. But at least the Broncos shared the wealth and broke hearts of fans of the other NFL team in Ohio.” You talk like that ending can’t be topped today. Have you never seen the Browns play? It can be topped. Quite easily.

NEW YORK GIANTS @ DALLAS (-3.5)

This is insane. I’m honestly not trying to do this. Well, maybe a little bit.

MY PICK: NYG (+3.5)

Lay: “It's completely fathomable that all of the punters playing at Dallas this year are throwing in $500/punt and splitting the pot between those that bonk a kick off of the Charles Barkley Memorial Scoreboard.” Don’t think I’ve ever been as excited as I will be on Sunday night to see a punt.

Kevin: “Scoreboards are too big. They may fall off the ceiling. Romo is homo. (yes, there's your haiku of the week)” QOTW contender for Kevin. Gus Johnson would be proud.

Barnes: “'I Love New York' - I hate Dallas. So thanks to Murphy's Law or the Pythagorean theorem or Einstein's left nostril, that means I love New York.” Everyone hates Dallas. Stay tuned for an inside look on Tony Romo hatred.

Woody: “Romo-hate continues. I dislike him because he went to High School with all of my college roommates in Burlington and every story I've heard about him explains how huge a loser/dork he was. He had about three friends and the following story explains what kind of nut cups they were. His best friend lived next to me in the dorms at UW-La Crosse, division three mind you, and all he talked about was how he was Mr. Basketball. The guy was seven feet and the last man off the bench. How are you seven feet tall and can't get minutes in division three but still think you are awesome.”
I would like to hear more stories on this Romo-college buddies connection throughout out the season. I’m completely polarized by it.

Reamer: “Probably the game of the week, but I won't pick Dallas in a ‘big’ game until they prove they can win one. The HD screen will play a major factor in the game as Wade Phillips will get caught up watching, thinking it's last seasons ‘Hard Knocks’ and leaves to watch the game with Jerry Jones and they talk Texan to each other. Then everyone will see Wade Phillips actually has no impact/influence on how the Cowboys play, and that Romo just chokes on his own di-- uhh ‘ego’ in crunch time.” Possible QOTW contender from Reamer.

Hug: “September and October Dallas are almost always better than November and December Dallas. Plus, I'll give them the edge at home.” Dallas Cowboys = Alex Rodriguez. Enough said.

Brian: “In front of 100,000 pampered fans, the Cowboys will get past the Giants. Maybe because of the big scoreboard, Eli Manning will see himself after a dumb interception and realize, ‘Wow, I look terrible. No wonder no one takes me seriously. I look like a five year old who just got grounded.’” I’m just praying for a mega-tron close-up of the Eli Manning Face.

Fiz: “After the Cowboys pull away in this one, how many times will the Giants punt into the big screen to piss Dallas fans off?” I’m hoping Eli Manning throws it up there to try and get a re-do play.

Jeff: “I just don't think the Cowboys were as good as the score last week.” Playing Tampa Bay this year will do that.

INDIANAPOLIS (-2.5) @ MIAMI

Last game. Give me the home team. Haha. Yeah right.

MY PICK: IND (-2.5)

Lay: “Chad Pennington is the poor man's Brady Quinn. In other words, Chad Pennington lives in an old refrigerator box.” Think Chad is next door neighbors with Alex Smith? I know for a fact that John Joseph (Joey) Harrington lives around the corner from them.

Woody: “Thinking this could finally be the year Peyton and the boys take a huge step back. Without A. Gon. to throw to this week the sidelines might literally be like his SNL skit. ‘OK, I'm sorry do you want to lose? I throw you catch. It's not that hard. OK, get the F@#$ out of here.’ Kendra baby daddy is not the answer.” Cut that meat. Cut that meat.

Kevin: “I just wanna see me some Ricky Williams. When did the Dolphins last play on Monday night at home? Just seems like a long time ago.” After much thought I guessed correctly. Christmas Day, 2006, against the New York Jets.

Barnes: “'American Idol' - Peyton Manning is the darling of the NFL. Have you seen his commercials? They're HILARIOUS!” The ONLY Manning TV commercial I’ve ever laughed at is the one where the Manning family takes a tour of ESPN. That one is pretty hilarious. Why? Because any family can relate to it.

Reamer: “I just want to hear Ron Jaworski say ‘Play on Playa’ one time during a game ... please.” Thought Jon Gruden wasn’t half-bad last week. Has the potential to be one of the better MNF crews of the last ten years. Not that they have much competition.

Hug: “Honestly, I think Indianapolis should roll all over Miami and their mild-cat offense.”
In all my years of picking games ATS style, I’ve found a couple of truths. One being, never trust a Manning to cover.

Brian: “Only 2.5 points? Really? Sure. The Dolphins are a five-win team. Can't wait for Sam Bradford or Jevan Snead in a Dolphins jersey next year. Should be a boring Monday nighter this week.” Thought the same last week and got two very entertaining games.

Fiz: “The spread for this game is THIS LOW? Really? The Colts cruise in this one, thanks for the gimme, Vegas.” Beware the gimmies. They are very dangerous. Proceed with caution.

Jeff: “Manning on Monday night is a lock.” Devin Frank would disagree with you profusely on that notion Jeff.

SPECIAL SECTIONS

Po's Knowledge Dropping: Vol. II - Num. I
Week 1 in Review
By: Ryan Polito

Its now time to bring back the award winning column featuring most and least dominant things that caught my eye during the previous week.

MOST DOMINANT- Drew Brees
I realize he was playing the Lions, but throwing six TD passes in the season opener is a dominant accomplishment. He really has me excited since he is my fantasy QB this year, which also means he will probably be hurt by week five.

Normally I will have more than one most dominant thing, but I can't think of anything else that was dominant this week. Don’t worry though, I have plenty to vent about in 'least dominant.'

LEAST DOMINANT # 1- Delonte West
Cavaliers guard Delonte West was arrested Thursday after officers pulled him over for speeding on a motorcycle while carrying two handguns in his pockets and a shotgun in a guitar case. You have to ask yourself ... what was a guy (who has battled mood disorders and depression as recently as last year) going to do riding a motorcycle at night with three loaded guns on him? West probably wont play for the Cavs again, so its a good thing they loaded up in the off-season, and Anthony Parker should fill in nicely for him at the SG spot.

LEAST DOMINANT #2- Kanye West
Gonna keep this short and sweet because I’m sick of seeing this story everywhere I look. YOU ARE A COMPLETE IDIOT, KANYE.

LEAST DOMINANT #3- The US Open Tennis Committee
During the two weeks that the tennis tournament was held, they collected more than $30,000 in fines from the players. This is an absolute joke in my opinion. The only fine that was deserved was Serena's for threatening the line judge, which was funny to watch because it looked like the line judge couldn’t even speak English.

The fine against Roger Federer was a pile of crap. If CBS doesn’t want swearing on the air then how about they take the mic's off the court. Or at least turn them off during a change over. CBS cranked up the mic and put the camera right on Federer when they caught him swearing. I realize the amount of the fines mean nothing to the players, but its the principle of the thing.

LEAST DOMINANT # 4- My calculus test
Gotta put my calc test on least dominant this week for being absolutely way too hard. An entire week donated to studying, and it was a bigger waste of time then Jason Fazzone trying to beat me in a 3-pt shootout in basketball.

Until the next Po's Knowledge Dropping … Go Steelers.

IN THE ZONE - Vol. I - Num. III
…WHERE DREW BREES JUST THREW ANOTHER TOUCHDOWN PASS
By: Jason Fazzone

Before I get to previewing Sunday’s game between the Steelers and Bears, it’s time to take a look back at the good, the bad and the ugly from Week One in the NFL:

The good: Excellent drama in the opening week of the season: Pittsburgh needs overtime to beat Tennessee, Denver needs a miraculous tip drill to beat the Bungles, and the Sunday/Monday night games all come down to the final couple of minutes.

Drew Brees had a game to remember, tossing six touchdown passes in the Saints’ easy win over the Lions. Adrian Peterson recovered from a slow start to rush for 180 yards in a victory at Cleveland.

The bad: Underdogs couldn’t hang on to late leads. Leodis McKelvin’s fumble cost the Bills the game against New England, and even more importantly, caused a fan to draw a dong on McKelvin’s front lawn. Talk about “dicking” things up. Oakland gets a late touchdown on fourth-and-long against San Diego, and then decides to watch the Darren Sproles Show on the Chargers’ final drive en route to a heartbreaking loss. And then there was Aaron Rodgers’ touchdown pass to Greg Jennings with just over a minute left, allowing me to cover as the Packers knocked off the Bears.

Injuries, injuries, injuries: A host of big-name players were bitten by the injury bug in Week One, including Troy Polamalu, Brian Urlacher, Donovan McNabb and Anthony Gonzalez.

The ugly: Jake Delhomme. Not since our intramural team junior year have I seen so many interceptions (we managed to throw 11 in a single game, mind you). Delhomme and John Fox are in this together, and if this shoddy play keeps up, they’ll both be out of Carolina together.

Now that last week is in the rear-view mirror, let’s turn to the Steelers/Bears match-up. This is going to be an interesting game, considering both teams are without their top defensive playmakers in Polamalu and Urlacher. Replacements Hunter Hillenmeyer and Tyrone Carter are the two most important players on their respective defenses because both will be asked to step up.

I admittedly don’t know a whole lot on Hillenmeyer, but Carter is a very solid backup to Polamalu. He’s played in Dick LeBeau’s system for years. Carter won’t provide the jaw-dropping feats of athleticism that Polamalu displays regularly, but he knows where to be at all times. I guarantee he will lay down at least one big hit in this game.

Offensively, both teams are trying to find an identity. Jay Cutler mightily struggled against the Packers’ 3-4 scheme this past Sunday night, throwing four interceptions. The Steelers run a very similar defense, but they’ll be blitzing their linebackers more often, contrary to Green Bay’s style, which lets defensive backs apply a lot of pressure. If Cutler’s timing with his receivers isn’t on, it could be yet another long day for Chicago’s franchise quarterback.

Rumors have been flying over the past week about the Steelers’ offensive attack. Will they scrap the running game in favor of a pass-oriented attack, a la the Tommy Maddox days of the early 2000s? With the offensive line Pittsburgh has, it seems to be that way. The Steelers’ coaches were impressed with the line’s pass blocking in the team’s win over Tennessee on opening night. Ben Roethlisberger has proven time and time again that he is very efficient running the no-huddle offense.

So who wins this game? This is Chicago’s home opener, so the crowd will be very difficult to deal with, especially if the Steelers go no-huddle. I also expect Cutler’s chemistry with his receivers will improve, and the Bears will be able to put a couple of scoring drives together.

However, I think Roethlisberger will have another good outing – maybe not 300 yards, but close. The defense has been known for its “bend but don’t break” style, and I expect that to continue.

In what will be a closely-contested battle, the Steelers will eke out a difficult road victory over the Bears.

Enjoy Week Two, everyone.
________________________________________________________
Okay, thanks for stopping by, and I hope you enjoyed this week two column. The week two picks will be up in an hour or so. Thanks to our special column contributors, as well as those who sent in comments. Much appreciated. Enjoy the games everyone.

Until next time, "read it, roll it, hole it."

No comments: