Thursday, November 26, 2009

My Name Is Jason Fazzone And I Write Special Sections ... Part Two

By: Luke Florence
IN THE ZONE - VOL. I - NUM. X

We here at In the Zone are licking our wounds after the Steelers looked horrendous last week against the Bengals. But on the bright side, I recorded a winning week ATS for the first time in what feels like forever, so that’s cool. Time to get to this week’s thoughts:

Stuff I left out last week: Nick Lay did a fine job with his Tecmo Super Bowl-related picks in Week One. What’s even better: a group of guys created a 2009 version of Tecmo Super Bowl, complete with all 32 teams and actual 2009 rosters and schedules. Check it out at knobbe.org. Also, I forgot to give a shoutout to OU alum Landon Cohen for…making it on “C’Mon, Man!” a couple weeks ago on ESPN’s Monday Night Countdown.

Speaking of OU: The Bobcats are a victory over Temple away from winning the MAC East for the second time in four years. Unfortunately, Dan LeFevour and the Central Michigan Chippewas await yet again. So congrats to Frank the Tank on another fine season in Athens. Meanwhile, the Ohio volleyball team is making its usual run in the MAC Tournament. Good to see the best-looking Athens sports team doing well again, even if it’s without Geoff Carlston and his Mountain Dew.

Poland football: The Bulldogs played a fine first half against state power Cardinal Mooney Friday night. Once the second half started, Mooney showed why it’s the best team in Division III and Braylon Heard proved that he earned that scholarship to West Virginia, scoring two touchdowns and picking off a pass in the second half to seal the Cardinals’ victory. Tough end to a great season for the Bulldogs.

Embarrassing moment: After the Poland game Friday night, a few high school buddies and I hung out, drinking and playing some Madden. While listening to stories about the things that we did in high school, I started to laugh – and then proceeded to throw up some combination of Labatt Blue and Taco Bell through my nose. It was one of the oddest moments of my life, without a doubt.

Mark Mangino: I don’t know what to say about this guy. His players are turning on him, and in some cases, rightfully so. Combine that with the Jayhawks’ poor season and Mangino may be on his way out.

Bill Belichick: This guy is an ignorant ass. I loved seeing that decision backfire last Sunday night. He showed no faith in his defense and went for it knowing if it didn’t work, Peyton Manning had 30-some yards to go to take the lead. For a guy who hasn’t won a Super Bowl in five years, this guy still gets blown by everyone in the media. News flash: Tom Brady and Randy Moss are in their 30s, and the Patriots have no future at either position. The window is closing, and if Belichick doesn’t win a title in the next two seasons, he won’t win one again. And in five seasons, he and his entire crew (Weis, Crennel, Mangini, McDaniels) can all sit back, unemployed, and remember the days they got lucky/cheated the system.

Fantasy football: After a decisive victory over the then-top team in the league, I have reclaimed the top spot with three games to go. It’ll take a Denver-like performance from my team to keep me out of the playoffs.

Steelers: God help me if the Steelers don’t beat the Chiefs.

Cavs: The loss to Washington was embarrassing, but the Cavs played that game without Shaq and Varejao. I will give Polito props on this: he predicted that J.J. Hickson would have a big season, and now that Hickson is in the starting lineup, he may be well on his way to doing so.

Nate Robinson: Guy shoots at his own basket after getting an inbounds pass at the end of the half. Somewhere, Ricky Davis must be proud.

College football: Good tests for Florida and Alabama in FIU and Chattanooga, respectively. I really hope Florida State and Auburn come ready to play next week and knock these guys off. Anything to get TCU in the title game. I would love to see Weis get fired, but I don’t think it’s going to happen, seeing how he has a contract as large as his waistline.

Projected AFC playoff teams: Patriots (AFC East champs), Bengals (AFC North champs), Colts (AFC South champs), Broncos (AFC West champs), Steelers and Chargers (wild cards)

How did I go from the Chargers winning the division to the Broncos, especially the way both teams are playing? I’m assuming the Broncos beat the Chargers this week and sweep the season series, which is huge in a close race like this.

Last AFC team out: Texans

Projected NFC playoff teams: Eagles (NFC East champs), Vikings (NFC North champs), Saints (NFC South champs), Cardinals (NFC West champs), Cowboys and Packers (wild cards)

Last NFC team out: Giants

Super Bowl XLIV: Colts over Vikings

Until next time, go Steelers!

_______________________________________________

Great column as always Fiz.

First of all, God Help You. The Chiefs beat the Steelers and knocked me out of my Survivor Pool. Eleven weeks isn't a bad run, but I wanted to go the distance.

Best part of this column was the Ricky Davis-Nate Robinson comparison. When I watched the highlight, I thought of the very same thing.

Kevin Hunt brought it up, but all I want for Christmas is an Ohio University-Notre Dame bowl game. If there is a Santa Claus, then this will happen.

No comments: